ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How do you backup your files?

<< < (3/7) > >>

Armando:
I think backing up like this with a lot of redundancy and different physical locations is very important for computer users.
--- End quote ---

Yes. very important indeed.

You're doing the same thing I'm doing, pretty much.
--- End quote ---

Good to hear that!  8) So I'm not the only parnoid soul around...

nite_monkey:
I chunk all of my backup files on a sepreate 80 gig hard drive

Armando:
PS  I tried Syncback SE and DirSync, and I liked DIrSync better, and so does zridling.
-superboyac (April 24, 2007, 11:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting... Why do you prefer in DirSync ?

Edit : I briefly looked at the website and I don't see an option for incremental backups. Is it possible ?

I like the fact that SyncBackSE is crammed with options... even if it's not perfect or the fastest. More options also means more mistake possibilities, of course.  :)

f0dder:
:-[

I don't currently do any decent backing up. I haven't found any backup program I like (genie seems okay, but it's a bit too happy-fluffy and has too many popups and whatnot that I had to disable). My strategy when I still lived with my mum was a couple of batch files that did full or incremental RAR'ing of my source/documents partition to \\server\backup - obviously the server was left at my mum's place, so that doesn't work anymore.

I used to have a RAID mirror to avoid losing stuff because of a harddrive failure, but that's of course no replacement for doing backups!. And currently it's a stripe, since I wanted to play around a bit after I got my raptor drive. Unfortunately, I've managed to stuff a lot of data on the stripe, which I'll have to sort, burn out to DVDs and delete, before I can get back to mirror again. Yeah, I'm currently living my life on the edge 8)

I plan to build a fileserver again sometime in the future, but I need to save up some cash first, and decide what to get - obviously power efficiency is a big concern here!. Until then, I do have some external USB disks though, that I should get into the habit of backing up to.

So, what's a decent no-nonsense backup program that's solid? Acronis file backup mode isn't exactly robust when it comes to aborting incremental backups etc., and it tends to include way too much in the incremental backups.

Armando:

So, what's a decent no-nonsense backup program that's solid? Acronis file backup mode isn't exactly robust when it comes to aborting incremental backups etc., and it tends to include way too much in the incremental backups.

-f0dder (April 24, 2007, 04:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

I find that the combination of 2 programs is essential.

Personally, I like my combination.  8) (See previous posts)

To loose everything, I'd have to lose 4 HDs at the same, 3 of which are usually in different locations (my laptop is in my bag, my 320gb HD is at home, one 80gb HD is at a trustable friend's place). To loose some of my documents, I'd have to loose, 3HDs at the same time : the 2 I've usually got with me and the one at home. Chances are slim.

I feel pretty secure, but, of course, it's still possible for something completely unpredictable to happen. Like when I got a BSOD the other day, and lost what was encrypted with AXCrypt. That's the worst that happened to me in two years I lost almost a day of work -- too much, I know... I found a solution and that won't happen again.

The trick, I guess, is to constantly adapt your backup solution to perceived threats...  :) For now, SyncBackSE allows me to do that.  It's not perfect, but it's very flexible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version