ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: app which creates instant backup of any file you save in excel

<< < (2/4) > >>

AndyM:
So the only files you want to copy to a fixed additional location are the Excel files that you create, and you want them backed up every time anyone in the company saves a modified version of your file regardless of what folder that modified version is being saved to (differing job folders).

Now it really seems like the way to go is to intercept the Save and SaveAs commands.  Since it's only certain of your spreadsheets you want this to apply to, you have complete control over the process by doing it this way.  What's the downside?

--------------------
Edit:  I re-read your last post and now I'm not sure what you mean by "I only want MY XLS files to be backed up... not everyone else's".

Do you mean only the versions of the original file that you save, or the versions of the file you created that others save?

mouser:
i still think Tranglos' suggestion might be the simplest and most foolproof -- use one of the many programs that are intended to monitor folders you specify and make backups of files any time they change.

AndyM:
For a different approach than intercepting the Save commands, check out the WorkbookBeforeSave Event

dwilbank:
AndyM -- I only want my own work to be backed up - not anyone else's changes.
The problem is that other folks take the files that I create and alter them, or even worse, lose them!
I just want an untouched backup to be created everytime I choose Save, or Save As.

Mouser - I can look again at FileHamster, et al, but since every new file I create is for a new TV show or movie, new directories are created every day.

So if I tell Filehamster to monitor "G:\Fox\NTSC\X-Files Season 2\", how will it do its job when I save a file the same day to "G:\WHV\Clone Wars\PAL\Season 2"?

Also, other people are creating unrelated xls files in all these directories all day, which have nothing to do with my work. I surely don't want to create local copies of those...

The downside of intercepting the save and save-as commands is that I don't know VBA!
I looked through Mr. Excel to try to find a preexisting macro. I certainly couldn't make one myself!

rjbull:
Could you use one of the command-line archiver programs, telling it to store all XLS files complete with path and starting from the root, then rename the resulting archive with today's date and time?  And do that as a scheduled event?

Of course, I probably haven't understood the situation...  :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version