topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 8:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Plugin to help FARR beat DirectoryOpus  (Read 4699 times)

dwilbank

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Plugin to help FARR beat DirectoryOpus
« on: September 17, 2009, 02:27 PM »
This may be too hefty to be considered a "snack". Maybe start up a donation commitment page to see if anyone else is interested too?

My two favorite programs are FARR and DirectoryOpus.
FARR is flawless when it comes to searches for single items.
Sadly, I must turn to DirectoryOpus when I have to deal with multiple search results. It creates a "collection" of the results which acts just like a virtual folder, and I can rename, process, batch select, or do anything to that group of files.

Other programs will create a list of links to the "found" files, but if I select several links and the corresponding files are not all on the same drive, my right-click actions will only process the files from the first drive.

The reason I don't use DOpus all the time, is that I am forced to type friggin asterisk wildcards and if if I type, for example, *green*house* instead of *house*green*, it refuses to find the file.

Maybe FARR already has a function to solve this problem that I don't know about? I've only watched 4 of the excellent videos so far.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 10:47 AM by dwilbank »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Plugin to help FARR beat DirectoryOpus
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 05:02 AM »
there are probably some good general purpose file searching tools that are best for this and more powerful than farr when wanting to manipulate multiple search results.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 06:16 AM »
Sadly, I must turn to DirectoryOpus when I have to deal with multiple search results. It creates a "collection" of the results which acts just like a virtual folder, and I can rename, process, batch select, or do anything to that group of files.

i'm not sure if this is the same as in DOpus but in Total Commander has a feature called "Feed to listbox", where the search results are sent to a new tab and one can work on it as if they reside in the same folder.

jdd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 07:18 PM »
I gave up on Dopus.  Too complex for me. 

UltraExplorer (free) is fast, multi-tabbed, and intuitively customizable.  http://www.mustangpe...aexplorer/index.html  It has a search function which I believe may meet your requirements, as best I can understand your requirements.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 03:23 AM »
The reason I don't use DOpus all the time, is that I am forced to type friggin asterisk wildcards and if if I type, for example, *green*house* instead of *house*green*, it refuses to find the file.

Have you reported that in the DOpus forum ?
it sounds like something that they would want to (and need to!) fix
Tom

dwilbank

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 11:35 AM »
thx...

I've tried dozens of search tools (haven't messed with Windows 7 yet) and FARR does the best searches bar none.

I'll bother Directory Opus again, see if they've changed their mind. They thought typing wildcards was great last time I asked.