ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

WinX DVD Ripper Platium - free for the rest of Sept.

<< < (4/5) > >>

MilesAhead:
Hmmm, rip and convert on the fly seems to be the trend. I tried Free DVD Ripper as yzf888 suggested.  Unless I missed an option, that one insists you rip from a physical disc(guess you could use one of those image mounters but still) and I didn't see a way to cut of a slice to see what the output would look like.

A lot of my movies are letter boxed Asian films I bought before everything was 16x9.  They didn't look bad on my 4x3 TV but now that my TVs have 16x9 mode I want to convert them to anamorphic 16x9 without getting people with wide heads.  Rip to VIDEO_TS folder gives you the best chance to mess around with tools until you get the best result you can, esp. when trying to reformat or autocrop.

Carol Haynes:
DVDFab lets you rip and convert. It also lets you rip to VIDEO_TS, direct to another DVD (both DVD5 and DVD9 and also transcode DVD9 to DVD5) and will even copy discs 'as is' maintaining the exact structure and protection of the source if you want it to.

sajman99:
DVDFab lets you rip and convert. It also lets you rip to VIDEO_TS, direct to another DVD (both DVD5 and DVD9 and also transcode DVD9 to DVD5) and will even copy discs 'as is' maintaining the exact structure and protection of the source if you want it to.
-Carol Haynes (September 29, 2009, 06:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
Agreed, the free version of DVDFab (ie. rip only) is what I use for DVD to DVD and it's very good software. But I guess I cannot help myself, I'm always looking for alternatives even if I'm presently satisfied. I'm reluctant to characterize DVDFab as bloatware, but it has certainly grown significantly in the last couple of years. 

Carol Haynes:
I'm reluctant to characterize DVDFab as bloatware, but it has certainly grown significantly in the last couple of years. 
-sajman99 (October 01, 2009, 01:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

I haven't seen much appear in DVDFab that is beyond reasonable core functionality (and I am running the latest paid version).

OK they have added things like rip and move files to various media players etc. but they seem like reasonable options to offer and you don't pay for those if you don't want them.

If you do want that extra functionality is is pretty well integrated and slick to use.

MilesAhead:
Another good idea, if you are like me and hate motion menus, is MenuShrink. Converts motion menus to stills and optionally strips the audio.  Sometimes it's able to skip over the warning screen and get right to the main menu upon player insertion. As they add more languages to the copy warning, and not let you skip over it, unless you rework the disc you'll be making a sandwich for 8 minutes while that stuff shows the same message in various tongues.  They should just have a copy symbol with the circle with line through for 5 seconds.  Everyone would get the idea!

I know in many of these rippers you can select Main Movie to strip out the menus, but sometimes for subtitles you need to keep the menu.  Some tools that reprocess mpg don't always leave the remote subtitle button action as desired.  That can drive you nuts trying to get that to work!! Easier just to leave the shrunk menus.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version