Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site April 23, 2014, 11:27:26 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the Practical Guide to DonationCoder.com Forum Search Features

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Any photo editor+viewer with notes?  (Read 1905 times)
Curt
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: September 30, 2009, 04:07:18 AM »

The 'new' feature on many photo sites, like Flickr, is notes, somehow integrated with the photo. Not really integrated, but that is how it appears on the page, like on this collection of 'mine':

http://www.flickr.com/photos/curt-dk/3884282440

When I look at the original picture on my desktop, I can't help wishing to have the same feature on my computer (because I can't remember all 37 car models). But I have never before taken any interest in this, so I don't know if there are any desktop editor+viewer with this feature, 'notes'.

Do you know if I somehow can have "create, point at, and read  NOTES" on my desktop images?
Edit:
the notes must be concentrated on areas of the picture, not on the entire pic' as one. Like the example.
 tellme
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 04:14:17 AM by Curt » Logged
briandr67
Supporting Member

A Software Junky

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 05:05:25 AM »

Curt, XNView allows you to add comments to your photo's as descript.ion files.   Brian
Curt
Supporting Member

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 06:51:16 AM »

- hmm... I just removed XnView a couple of weeks ago because I never have been all satisfied with it. Guess I will have to give it one more chance, again again :-) Thanks for telling!
Curt
Supporting Member

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 07:30:43 AM »

- does these 'descript.ion' files take for me to use some third party program?
I have not yet found anything connected to '.ion', in XnView.
 tellme
fenixproductions
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 12:40:02 PM »

I have not yet found anything connected to '.ion', in XnView.
RMB on any picture and choose Describe... (Ctrl+D).

I didn't check XnView for such feature but some filemanagers (TC too) handles such files when you are moving/copying your images.

Надо было учиться, а не камни в школу бросать...
--
f0dder is my personal hero smiley
app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 09:58:30 PM »

I think Curt is looking for something to easily generate something like image maps where he can add multiple notes to an image, for specific locations within the image.

Most tools, if they allow you to add notes only allow you to add one note per image, and not select an area of the image to apply the note to and a second area to apply a different note to.

I don't know of any tool that does what he wants for cataloging purposes. I only know of ones for creating html image maps for displaying on the web.

Curt
Supporting Member

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 01:31:26 AM »

- and I haven't found any, myself. But thanks anyway, April - I'll stop searching for the end of that particular rainbow.
MilesAhead

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 03:22:58 PM »

- and I haven't found any, myself. But thanks anyway, April - I'll stop searching for the end of that particular rainbow.

The Windows built-in "Tooltip" extension goes by file type.  I did one to comment downloads.  The supported extensions are mostly archive file formats for that reason.  For some reason I included .gif and .jpg .. but as noted, it's only one comment per file that pops up in the tooltip.  To do it something would have to import each image as a control or picture onto a toolbar, kind of like how Browser Chooser shows the name of the browser when you mouse hover the icon.  It has to be something that supports hotspots or each pic is a separate control.

edit: if you're curious you can take a look at my tooltip program:
http://www.favessoft.com/tipoff.html

Just as I got it perfected 64 bit is kind of killing it off.  You have to use a 32 bit Explorer instance to see the tooltips in Vista64 or 64 bit W7.  So it's kind of orphaned.

edit2: an aside, one thing lost going from WinHelp to HtmlHelp in Windows is the WinHelp supported hotspots.  For one of my programs I had a picture of a dialog box and mouse hover on each control showed tooltip text in the help.  A pretty cool feature. afaik there's no way to do it in HtmlHelp.. or at least no easy way.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 03:37:33 PM by MilesAhead » Logged

"I don’t want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
 - Groucho Marx

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.043s | Server load: 0.05 ]