topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:12 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Instant Boss: trouble on Wine with Ubuntu Jaunty  (Read 5533 times)

Mandork

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Hopeless or hapless?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Instant Boss: trouble on Wine with Ubuntu Jaunty
« on: September 16, 2009, 05:24 AM »
I haven't been on DC in forever, so I hope I haven't put this in the wrong place.

I switched to Ubuntu more-or-less full time almost 2 years ago, and so far most things have been fine.  However, I upgraded to Jaunty a little while ago, and a few things have been giving me trouble.

Instant Boss in particular doesn't seem to run quite right in Wine now.  The biggest problem is that minimizing and then restoring the main window doesn't quite work--the "frame" comes back, but the interior isn't redrawn--it just shows a bit of whatever window was underneath it when it was restored.

Has anyone had similar problems with Wine?  I'm sure there is a better place to ask, but I thought I'd come to where I know people use the program first.

By the way, I'm using the 64 bit version of Ubuntu, if that makes any difference.  There is also some kind of bug with general screen redrawing and the Nvidia driver, which I haven't managed to fix yet. It could be all related, but I'm not smart enough to figure it out.
Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.
Pablo Picasso

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Instant Boss: trouble on Wine with Ubuntu Jaunty
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 05:38 AM »
I just tried it under 9.04 i386 (i suppose that's "jaunty", not sure as I think naming every 6-month release with a new name is just idiotic, but I digress) and it's working quite well.

It may be related to your version of wine. Mine is 1.0.1. I also haven't observed any of the strangeness you mentioned with nvidia.

[edit] not sure if it helps, but I'm also running wine-doors (which apparently doesn't display its version anywhere). I'm running version 180.44 of nvidia drivers. [/edit]
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 05:40 AM by jgpaiva »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 05:41 AM »
Oh, I was going to move this topic to somewhere related to app's apps and noticed there's no such section..
Where do you support your applications, app?

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 05:50 AM »
Anywhere and everywhere. I was never given a section on the forum for my apps so I just answer questions wherever they pop up.

As far as being to help with this issue, I don't think I can. Since I don't have a machine with any version of Linux I can't even begin to support it on that OS.

At some point in the future when I have a PC running some flavor of Linux, and I am past the whole "n00b" phase, I'll consider writing a version to run native on that OS with no need for WINE.

Until then, you are basically on your own.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 07:02 PM »
I was never given a section on the forum for my apps

do you want one?

cjseymour

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 09:21 PM »
I am running Ubuntu 9.04 (64 bit edition) with NVIDIA video card and Wine V1.0.1 and have just tested Instant Boss.  It *seems* fine with no problems after a minimize/restore.

I am not a hardcore Linux user, but will work with you to try and solve this issue.

As an aside, I Googled "Instant Boss", not realizing it was a DC-developed app, and found a site called INSTANTBOSS.ORG.  This has a link at the bottom that took me to  another Billy Mays RIP site where I had an ADHD moment (or twenty) and pressed the big brown button to hear Billy Mays famous quotes.  It was after a few minutes that I concluded this was not the app you were trying to run and returned to my Google results and found App's app.

Anyway feel free to shoot me any questions you may have.  Gotta go, App's Instant Boss app is informing me it is time for me to take a break!

~Chris

Mandork

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Hopeless or hapless?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 03:53 AM »
Sorry, I got a bit tied up with my thesis and I haven't been back to check on this topic!

Mouser, I agree that the whole renaming thing for Ubuntu is a bit silly.  You get kind of used to it after a while, though, and forget about the rest of the world...

Anyway, the wine version I have is 1.1.30, although that may be since yesterday (there was a big update of various things).  Today Instant Boss seems to be better, though other things are causing problems with the screen redrawing.

Chris, what kind of card do you have? I have an Acer laptop (7520) that came with an Nvidia GeForce 7000m, and the driver I have at the moment is version 185.18.14, which I believe I downloaded and installed directly from Nvidia.  Do you get the random black bars across your screen, and various programs not redrawing when you update things?
Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.
Pablo Picasso