ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

dell laptop, vista won't activate

<< < (6/9) > >>

Carol Haynes:
You could try https://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form

This will give you a system restore set (for US customers AFAICS) of the originally supplied operating system (which is presumably Vista on your system since you had a free downgrade to XP).

OK it is not a vanilla Windows disc but from a thread I read it appears it is a free service in the US (and delivered within a few days) and at least it should be pre-activated.

nite_monkey:
You could try https://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form

This will give you a system restore set (for US customers AFAICS) of the originally supplied operating system (which is presumably Vista on your system since you had a free downgrade to XP).

OK it is not a vanilla Windows disc but from a thread I read it appears it is a free service in the US (and delivered within a few days) and at least it should be pre-activated.
-Carol Haynes (September 21, 2009, 05:43 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, I did that a day or two ago. I'm now waiting for my new disks to arrive and see if it solves my problem.

Innuendo:
Fortunately for you DonationCoder is inhabited by a tenacious & stubborn bunch. If there's any way to solve your problem someone will be there till it does.

nite_monkey:
Fortunately for you DonationCoder is inhabited by a tenacious & stubborn bunch. If there's any way to solve your problem someone will be there till it does.
-Innuendo (September 22, 2009, 08:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
lol, yeah and if they can't they can at least be sure that I have learned something, because I have learned a lot from this topic.

I just got my replacement cds today, so I am fixing to install vista with the new disk and see how it goes.

edit-during install: One thing I have noticed so far, is this disk supports more languages than my old disk...

edit-post install: I have come to the conclusion that my laptop just hates vista, and I wasted my time filling out that replacement disk form. My stupid laptop still wont pre-activate vista.

40hz:
edit-post install: I have come to the conclusion that my laptop just hates vista, and I wasted my time filling out that replacement disk form. My stupid laptop still wont pre-activate vista.
-nite_monkey (September 22, 2009, 01:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry to say, but it looks like the time has come to make that phone call we spoke about earlier...  :-\

Good luck. :Thmbsup:

P.S. One thing you might try is flatlining your HD first. Grab a copy of Darik's Boot & Nuke and let it run for about 15 minutes on the "Quick" setting. Then try your reinstall and see if that flies. Long shot, but might be worth a try.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version