topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:45 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Auto scroll problem - open with screenshot captor  (Read 14027 times)

robbero

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Auto scroll problem - open with screenshot captor
« on: September 15, 2009, 08:22 AM »
Hello,

I really like your software.
A few things:
1) The auto scroll capture has a strange behavior, the windows are flickering and becoming black for a while.
Is this a bug?
If not... I prefer the picpick and faststone capture auto scroll feature: they don't flicker and they are much faster (specially picpick does a very fast autoscroll).

2) I have opened once a file in screenshot captor using the explorer command "open with screenshot captor".
This file is stil in the editor. I can't open other files now. I closed the software and reopened it
but the file is still there.
"Open with screenshot captor" does not open any new file.
What's happening?

3) I wish there was a way to change quickly between the file format (.gif .jpg .png) to capture an image.
Now I have to go to "preferences" to change it.

4) It would also be nice to have a possibility to change quickly between the the After Capture show possibilites:
- pop up menu ("keep it for next screenshot" check box)
- open in editor ("keep it for next screenshot" check box)
- save file as ("keep it for next screenshot" check box)
- always a link to discard image (or use the ESC key)

This gives the possibility to capture a set of screenshots only using "save file as" feature, or to open a set of screenshots all in the editor.

5) I don't really like the idea that every screenshot is saved (if not use the ctrl-q shortcut) to the folder
Is is possible to add a feature to not save all screenshots in editor or even better, ESC means not saving?

6) I can't use my default folder in Screenshot captor Panel Mode.
Screenshot captor freezes for almost a minute before I see my screenshots.
The folder has over 5000 files.
So I had to disable (hide) the screenshot panel mode.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 08:32 AM by robbero »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Auto scroll problem - open with screenshot captor
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 12:28 PM »
hi robbero, great questions.

ok so let me try to address a few:
1. i'll have to take a look at how picpick does it -- one of the things that makes screenshot captor slower at doing autoscroll is that it's trying a few different methods and doing horizontal and vertical scrolling.  it's not perfect and i've been meaning to see if i can improve it in a variety of ways, i just haven't gotten around to it yet.

2. open with screenshot captor -- i think i know the problem and i'm putting it on my todo list -- if i remember correctly screenshot captor expects folder paths to be passed to it on the commandline, not filenames.  should be an easy fix.

3. you can super easily change the file format of the current image by adding the new file extension for the format you want to the file name part at the bottom left, and hitting enter.  the file will be converted to the desired format and will stay in that format.  (if you want to save a copy with a new format use the "File -> save copy as" menu command).
e.g.:
Screenshot - 9_16_2009 , 12_18_54 PM.png

4. you can change the "After Capture Show" action quickly from a right-click in the Screenshto Captor system tray icon menu.

5. you can disable the autosaving of images. you'll find it as the top checkbox on the "Saving and Loading Files" tab of options.

6. short answer is that the thumbnail panel performs horribly with so many images.  the only current fix for this is to do what i do (and what i think is the smart thing to do for a variety of reasons), which is to create subfolders in your screenshots directory and file things away so you dont have more than a hundred or so screenshots in each folder.  Screenshot captor has a ton of functions to help you auto file screenshots by date or move screenshots around, etc. to make this painless.  Personally i think its a good thing to do to keep things organized.

6. long answer is that in the last 2 weeks i've been working on a related project and finally took the time to implement the thumbnail browser i always intended for screenshot captor.  it looks nearly identical but the internals are completely different, which makes it much much more efficient at handling file system changes and updates.  i still have to test it on huge numbers of screenshots, but it should be a lot better, and i will eventually integrate this into screenshot captor.  it may solve a whole host of these thumbnail panel flickering things in SC.

robbero

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 01:42 PM »
Thank you very much for your answers mouser.

Happy to see that 1,2,6 will be resolved :-)
I resolved also 4 and 5 (even if I would like to have a quicker way to change between the after capture options p.e. using a shortcut, but it is already ok as it is)

concerning number 3.
I had a screenshot .jpg which I changed in .gif and noted that the quality was not as the screenshot when directly taken in .gif.
Is that correct? When I convert a .jpg in .gif 256 colors has to be converted in 32 millions colors giving a quality loose, no?

Thank you for this great software.

PS ... I tried to make a autoscroll screenshot of a page many times but after flickering and flickering Screenshot captor made only a screenshot of the first page (visible on the screen) :-(

One day later, starting windows, Screenshot captor was not minimized in the system tray as default but minimized on the system bar. When I tried to click on it there was the message "You choose to end the nonresponsive program Screenshot Captor. This program is not responding. Please tell Microsoft about this problem."
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 01:37 AM by robbero »

robbero

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 07:04 AM »
Many screenshot using autoscroll doesn't work.
The last days I had a few one.
Today I tried another one and again it didn't work.
This is the page I tried:
http://www.scienzave...e-n-5-settembre-2009

robbero

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 04:43 AM »
Thank you very much for your answers mouser.

Happy to see that 1,2,6 will be resolved :-)

Happy to see that you did not resolve any one of these points. :-(
Still flickering, still the same screenshot in editor (can't remove it).. etc etc
Happy to see also that you didn't use any of my arguments or new features request.
Happy to know that I lose some time writing on your forum  ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 10:36 AM »
Roberro I haven't forgotten, i'm just a little slow.. give me another few days please.  :(

kingliness

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 06:35 PM »
i had to redownload this software
and it doesn't scan properly on the
auto scroll capture now.

Only captures the top of the page.

Can I download an older version?

Or is this bug being addressed?

Thanks for the great program!

C.

robbero

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 11:17 AM »
Roberro I haven't forgotten, i'm just a little slow.. give me another few days please.  :(

Thank you Mouser.
Did the latest version resolve the problems?

I'll download it.  :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 11:54 AM »
dont look at it yet, i just fixed a bug.. ill do your suggestions next!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 01:54 PM »
As of 2.77 you can now pass filenames on commandline so you can use SC as an "open with" program.