ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How should I diagnose this hardware issue?

<< < (4/5) > >>

Jammo the OrganizedFellow:
@Carol
Is this what you mean?
http://organizedfellow.com/myscreenshots/#./2009-09-15_180114-2.png

If so: I did a quick search, found this:
http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLA9X#

It says '0.85V - 1.5V' is normal.
I'll get to swapping out the memory sticks tonight.

4wd:
Haven't built an Intel box in a long time (I use AMD stuff all the time). Is that VCORE normal for Intel? It is a lot lower than AMD (usually about 1.7V)-Carol Haynes (September 15, 2009, 06:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually it's not that much lower, my Phenom II runs at ~1.4V and mostly at ~1.0V, (because it's bored and I don't give it enough to do apparently).

The later CPU dies, (45/65nm), run at a lower voltage generally.

Carol Haynes:
Thanks - showing my ignorance now of Intel chip voltages.

Stoic Joker:
...gold doesn't oxidise in air.  If the gold contacts on your RAM sticks are oxidising you have other environmental problems.

Sure reseating the memory a-few-times will scratch/gouge a conductive path in the oxidation usually ... But it's not guaranteed especially if you have a less than perfect (slightly loose, etc.) memory slot.
--- End quote ---

Then you have a problem with your memory slots which should be fixed since any cleaning of the RAM contacts will be a temporary fix.
-4wd (September 15, 2009, 03:49 PM)
--- End quote ---
Pure gold doesn't oxidize/tarnish but the stuff coating the contacts isn't pure as it would be far to soft to withstand the insertion force.

Memory slots aren't repairable - There are no serviceable parts in them. Even with the high level of skill required to replace one (which I have) without damaging the board there is still a great deal of risk (**it happens).

It really is strange that you have such a adverse reaction to a common industry standard practice which is even recommended on some memory manufacturers support forums (one would thing they'd know better).

Hint: Corsair, search for pencil, RAM GUY has been there for a really long time.

Frankly at my age I'm not the slightest bit interested in the snarky sniping pedantic nonsense and am seriously starting to lose interest in this forum.

40hz:
Frankly at my age I'm not the slightest bit interested in the snarky sniping pedantic nonsense and am seriously starting to lose interest in this forum.
-Stoic Joker (September 16, 2009, 08:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

@Stoic Joker - Hope not. I enjoy reading your posts and have benefited from them on several occasions. I think it would be a loss if you stopped participating.

(P.S. I agree with the pink eraser technique. It does work.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version