topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:55 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Do you touch-type or hunt-and-peck?  (Read 49515 times)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Do you touch-type or hunt-and-peck?
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2009, 05:22 AM »
JoTo: how did you get CPM results from the site? For me, it shows WPM instead. I got 83 WPM for the 3min astronauts test, 98% accuracy (5 errors) - at first, I didn't think punctuation was necessary :). I can usually "feel" when I've made an error and auto-correct without looking.

I also find it's a lot easier to type fast+correct when you're getting things out of your head, rather than copying a text where you also have to concentrate on reading as well as typing.
- carpe noctem

JoTo

• Super Honorary
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2009, 01:54 AM »
Hi fodder,

hmmmm, it seemed they changed the measurement unit then. My results are some years old, when i did the test they sent me an email with the CPM not the WPM. So it seems i need to do it again, to get a comparable result. Will do soon. :)

Yes, of course. Copying is more difficult. But as long as ALL have the same rules (all do copying) the results are still comparable.

Greetings
JoTo

PS:
Damn! They redid the test in whole. It's unusable for me now as they use white background :( So i am not able to do the test again. ARRRG! If someone find another speed typing test with an accessible interface, i'd be glad to join the contest again.

Also there was a speed typing game link posted on DC a few months ago. It was TypeRacer IIRC. Maybe someone wants to challenge me there? :) I am searching for opponents though, not victims. *LOL* </exaggregation> </bragging> :)

PS2:
I found the DC Post and the URL of the game. There you can get your WPM and average WPM too. I am user JoTo63 there! Come on guys! Who wants to loose against me? *EvilLaugh* :)

URL: http://play.typeracer.com/
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 02:07 AM by JoTo »

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2009, 04:01 AM »
I took Scancode's threat seriously and decided to give touch-typing another shot (I had given it a half-hearted try, long back, for exactly two days before boredom did me in.) This attempt seems to have been way more successful and I can tell I'll be coming out on the other side - I've learnt the character placement and though my speed is beyond pathetic, I've decided to abandon hunt and peck for good. Got myself this monster mentioned by mouser in the keyboard discussion for added incentive  ;).

I have a question for the accomplished keyboarders here - which finger do you use to strike backspace? The Internets are divided on this, with a lot of people preferring the ring finger to the pinkie and some even using the middle.

Lastly, a big thanks to Lanux for starting this topic!  :Thmbsup:

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2009, 04:19 AM »
I have a question for the accomplished keyboarders here - which finger do you use to strike backspace? The Internets are divided on this, with a lot of people preferring the ring finger to the pinkie and some even using the middle.
Definitely the pinkie!

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2009, 08:29 AM »

Lastly, a big thanks to Lanux for starting this topic!  :Thmbsup:

I'm not an accomplished touch-typist (avg 75 wpm in 22 races in type racer) but it depends on what you're hoping to accomplish.

Like I said, I learned touch-typing via hunt and peck so I hunt and peck the backspace with the ring finger.

If you learn the standard touch-typing technique though, your finger positioning should allow you to press the backspace with the pinky. I often resort to the middle finger when I'm typing fast though. (as in when doing these typing speed tests)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2009, 09:01 AM »
I am not a touch typist, nor am I  "hunt & peck", since the use of the word "hunt" would imply that I don"t know where the keys are, when that just isn't true.

I am primarily a one-handed typist, a righty, with the left hand only playing a minor role in my typing. I am probably the fastest 2-3 finger typist you have ever seen.  :D

I am not a touch typist (or a dancer) because if both hands are on the keyboard, things are going to get reversed because I have this issue where right becomes left and left becomes right unless I give it a lot of thought. (please don't ask me for directions on how to get somewhere unless you are willing to be patient while I think about it)

All that thinking about which is my left hand and which is my right, and which keys are by which hand just wastes time and slows me down. It doesn't matter how much practice, the issue isn't going to go away or become any better. All the practice in the world will not change how my brain is wired or cure the real problem. The fact will always remain that I am naturally a better one handed typist than two. I am also quite good with adding machines and cash registers, since they rely on one handed typing. While I might have failed typing class (more than once), I was at the top of my class in 10-key.

But I do have a question for all the touch typers with very long fingernails:

How do you do it without your nails getting in your way?

I am dead serious, since I just tried to rest my fingertips on the home row in the traditional way a touch typist would, and I couldn't. My nails wouldn't let my fingers near the keys!  :-[

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2009, 10:27 AM »
How do you do it without your nails getting in your way?

I am dead serious, since I just tried to rest my fingertips on the home row in the traditional way a touch typist would, and I couldn't. My nails wouldn't let my fingers near the keys!   :-[

I type using the tips of my nails, not my fingertips.

Nails resized.jpgDo you touch-type or hunt-and-peck?

If they're really long, I can still type very easily with my tips. (There are just too many other things I can't do, so I keep them like this.)
I just use the nails as I would my fingertips and it works great.
I use a laptop now, but this is possible on a standard keyboard, as well; I've found that the more shallow the keys, the better, but it still works. It took me almost no time to get used to it.

If they're painted, apply a hardener/top coat every few days to keep your polish from wearing off your nails and ending up on your keys.

If any nails are broken, or filed to a length different than the rest of them, I can't type. I just keep making the same mistake over and over again, and it's too distracting. Eventually, it becomes too frustrating.

If they're all too short, I gain speed while I'm typing, but at the cost of losing the long reach my nails give me. I'm so used to having nails that I end up making many more mistakes, so including the corrections, it takes me longer to type.
-Sarah
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 10:29 AM by SKesselman »

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2009, 11:56 AM »
I don't have THAT long of fingernails but they are sharper rather than flat and what I do is I kind of rest the area where the nails are underneath and just lightly press them on the keys so that when I start typing, my movements are positioned flatter and the nails are pointed straight ahead than I would normally be if I just start typing.

One handed typing though seems much more mysterious. I can't even think of doing it with a keyboard unless I completely memorized the keys because hitting delete would just be frustrating everytime.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2009, 12:04 PM »
I am primarily a one-handed typist, a righty, with the left hand only playing a minor role in my typing. I am probably the fastest 2-3 finger typist you have ever seen.  :D
One handed typing though seems much more mysterious.

A video demonstrating this uber-ninja technique, p'raps?   :D

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I will eat Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2009, 12:20 PM »
Typeracer - Eee 900

Your speed: 76 wpm
Accuracy: 97.2%

Typeracer - Memorex mx3300

Your speed: 87 wpm
Accuracy: 97.6%

I suck :(

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2009, 03:30 PM »
Typeracer - Eee 900

Your speed: 76 wpm
Accuracy: 97.2%

Typeracer - Memorex mx3300

Your speed: 87 wpm
Accuracy: 97.6%

I suck :(
If you suck, I'm not even going to post my results :'(

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2009, 02:54 AM »
scancode is actually being humble. 70 wpm = typemaster in Type Race and anything above is the highest ranking which is megaracer.

johnk

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2009, 05:06 AM »
Advice to young people: don't worry about learning to type. Learn to spell. Learn punctuation and the basic rules of grammar.

Until recently, I spent the best part of twenty years in newspaper journalism (in the UK), and was involved in recruitment and training of young journalists for most of that time.

About 15 years ago, we noticed a pattern of rapid deterioration among job applicants: despite having an impressive collection of school qualifications and college degrees, they couldn't write. Spelling and punctuation seemed a huge mystery to them.

So we introduced a set of (very) basic spelling, punctuation and grammar tests for interviewees. About 50 per cent of candidates had frighteningly low scores in the tests. And most were utterly horrified when they were told they were doing a spelling test...

If I was in a particularly cruel mood and was having a bit of fun with our trainee journalists, I might ask them to tell me, for example, about possible uses of the semi-colon, or indeed whether the semi-colon performs any useful function in modern English (a hot topic in certain academic circles). I never received a sensible response, of course.

I remember one particularly depressing day when a student was doing a bit of work experience with us. The standard of his writing was so bad that I felt compelled to point out to him that he would never get a job in journalism if he couldn't write.

He looked at me with a worried expression and said: "Isn't that what grammar and spell checks are for?"

I'm not making that up...

myarmor

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2009, 08:14 AM »
I'm with app103 in that I'm not a touch typist, nor am I  "hunt & peck".
My fingers sort of know where everything is (but if you ask, I'm not able to answer, strangely enough), but are limited to 1-3 fingers on both hands.

It goes rather fast though, at least when I'm at a keyboard I'm used to (currently Logitech G15 blue).
When changing keyboards it can take 2-3 days until I'm up to speed.

johnk

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2009, 08:49 AM »
I'm with app103 in that I'm not a touch typist, nor am I  "hunt & peck".
My fingers sort of know where everything is (but if you ask, I'm not able to answer, strangely enough), but are limited to 1-3 fingers on both hands.

It goes rather fast though, at least when I'm at a keyboard I'm used to (currently Logitech G15 blue).
When changing keyboards it can take 2-3 days until I'm up to speed.
Same here -- I'm very happy with my "four finger" speed. I get around the keyboard problem by never changing keyboards...I'm still using a Dell QuietKey I bought several years ago, before keyboards became commodity items that fell apart in a year or two. Great build quality and will probably outlive me. The first thing I check on any potential new motherboard purchase is whether it has a PS/2 connector...

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2009, 12:30 PM »
Anyone considering learning to touch-type should think about investing on the colemak layout. If you are going to start from scratch, learn a system that will save you 2/3 of the traveling. Your hands will appreciate that.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2009, 06:28 PM »
I am not a touch typist, nor am I  "hunt & peck", since the use of the word "hunt" would imply that I don"t know where the keys are, when that just isn't true.

I am primarily a one-handed typist, a righty, with the left hand only playing a minor role in my typing. I am probably the fastest 2-3 finger typist you have ever seen.  :D

Wow! I used to type that way. It was a skill I learned back in the days of mainframes and real TTY terminals.

In those days we always used the thumb, first, middle and ring finger of the right hand for "data and code entry"  - and kept the left hand free to hit various control and 'operator' keys when using a keypunch machine.

The "IBM Guys" at the campus computer center used to call that tech (or crab-crawl) typing, as opposed to touch typing I guess.

Brings back memories...

Those days are gone forever. (Thank heavens! ;D)

----

@SKesselman - very impressive nails. My sister just said she's envious.  ;D :Thmbsup:

« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 12:35 AM by 40hz »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2009, 08:30 PM »
Re: One-handed typing:

I've been flirting with the idea of getting a Frog-Pad keyboard ever since I saw one on ThinkGeek's website.

frogpad.jpg

It did seem workable. There's a YouTube video of somebody using one here:

http://www.youtube.c...&feature=related

(Note: the product is available in either a left or a right handed key layout so the above picture may be different from the one in the video.)

Basically, it's a rehash of several old** ideas about using multi-modal control interface to permit single handed alphanumeric and function key entry.

The Frog Pad appealed to me primarily because I though it would be a rather neat accessory to carry around for all those times I needed to plug a small USB keyboard into a server. I also wanted it to save some desktop 'real estate' when I was back home. The device measures something like 3 inches by 5 inches.

So far, I've held off for three reasons:

1) @ $159 USD, Frog Pad Inc. must be extremely proud of their little darling. Perhaps I'm one of those people who "know the price of everything and the value of nothing" as Oscar Wilde once put it. Nevertheless, I still think that price is fairly outrageous for a Bluetooth keyboard. Especially when you can score a top of the line gaming keyboard/mouse combo for less.

2) Frog Pad's online store seems to be "out of stock" more often than most. That makes me think they're doing very limited production runs - as in "not a lot of demand" - as in "high risk of this soon being an orphan product."

3) It's no longer available from ThinkGeek. This leads me to suspect that it has been weighed in the balance and found lacking by the real gadget freaks out there.

So, is anybody out there using a Frog Pad?

---------------

** Historic Note: Long before mice were popularized by Apple, one Xerox PARC researcher envisioned doing all computer input using nothing but a mouse. His idea called for the use of two 3-button mice - one for each hand. He had actually worked out what was dubbed a chording scheme that allowed you to type using various combinations of the six available buttons. As a "proof of concept" he taught himself to do all his keyboarding using a pair of these mouse prototypes. Word was, he became a very accomplished typist using this approach.

Now how utterly Ubergeek is that? 8)

« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 08:39 PM by 40hz »

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2009, 08:34 PM »
---------------

** Historic Note: Long before mice were popularized by Apple, one Xerox PARC researcher envisioned doing all computer input using nothing but a mouse. His idea called for the use of two 3-button mice - one for each hand. He had actually worked out what was dubbed a chording scheme that allowed you to type using various combinations of the six available buttons. As a "proof of concept" he taught himself to do all his keyboarding using a pair of these mouse prototypes. Word was, he became a very accomplished typist using this approach.

Now how utterly Ubergeek is that? 8)

Just imagine what he could have done with a pair of 5 button mice.  :D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2009, 08:51 PM »
Just imagine what he could have done with a pair of 5 button mice.  :D

Actually, the story I heard said he was an accomplished trumpet player, so depressing various combinations of three keys is what seemed most natural to him. (I guess we use what we know best for our models.)

But why stop at just two mice?

Imagine what he might have accomplished if he also thought to remove his shoes?  Look at all those virtuoso church organists. It works for them! ;D

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2009, 03:59 AM »
@40hz, yeah but I think more people know of the FrogPad and three button mices than the foot pedal mouse.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2009, 07:15 AM »
Look at all those virtuoso church organists
Tried typing on Silbermann Went reasonably well after removed work boots Figured this be main input device Pulled out all the stops

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2009, 10:26 AM »
the foot pedal mouse

Not too far fetched actually. I knew a real gearhead who actually rigged up a small dual foot pedal to control forward and backwards scrolling and paging actions. That way, he could always keep his right hand on the keyboard and his left hand on his mouse. At least that was the plan.

Needless to say he spent the bulk of his time in front of a computer and didn't get out all that much. Loved the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. (Had a real thing for female bodybuilders too...but let's not get into that. ;D )

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2009, 06:21 PM »
Any chance he will donate his hardware for DC members?  ;D

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile