ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Do you touch-type or hunt-and-peck?

<< < (6/15) > >>

f0dder:
JoTo: how did you get CPM results from the site? For me, it shows WPM instead. I got 83 WPM for the 3min astronauts test, 98% accuracy (5 errors) - at first, I didn't think punctuation was necessary :). I can usually "feel" when I've made an error and auto-correct without looking.

I also find it's a lot easier to type fast+correct when you're getting things out of your head, rather than copying a text where you also have to concentrate on reading as well as typing.

JoTo:
Hi fodder,

hmmmm, it seemed they changed the measurement unit then. My results are some years old, when i did the test they sent me an email with the CPM not the WPM. So it seems i need to do it again, to get a comparable result. Will do soon. :)

Yes, of course. Copying is more difficult. But as long as ALL have the same rules (all do copying) the results are still comparable.

Greetings
JoTo

PS:
Damn! They redid the test in whole. It's unusable for me now as they use white background :( So i am not able to do the test again. ARRRG! If someone find another speed typing test with an accessible interface, i'd be glad to join the contest again.

Also there was a speed typing game link posted on DC a few months ago. It was TypeRacer IIRC. Maybe someone wants to challenge me there? :) I am searching for opponents though, not victims. *LOL* </exaggregation> </bragging> :)

PS2:
I found the DC Post and the URL of the game. There you can get your WPM and average WPM too. I am user JoTo63 there! Come on guys! Who wants to loose against me? *EvilLaugh* :)

URL: http://play.typeracer.com/

nosh:
I took Scancode's threat seriously and decided to give touch-typing another shot (I had given it a half-hearted try, long back, for exactly two days before boredom did me in.) This attempt seems to have been way more successful and I can tell I'll be coming out on the other side - I've learnt the character placement and though my speed is beyond pathetic, I've decided to abandon hunt and peck for good. Got myself this monster mentioned by mouser in the keyboard discussion for added incentive  ;).

I have a question for the accomplished keyboarders here - which finger do you use to strike backspace? The Internets are divided on this, with a lot of people preferring the ring finger to the pinkie and some even using the middle.

Lastly, a big thanks to Lanux for starting this topic!  :Thmbsup:

TucknDar:
I have a question for the accomplished keyboarders here - which finger do you use to strike backspace? The Internets are divided on this, with a lot of people preferring the ring finger to the pinkie and some even using the middle.-nosh (September 20, 2009, 04:01 AM)
--- End quote ---
Definitely the pinkie!

Paul Keith:
I have a question for the accomplished keyboarders here - which finger do you use to strike backspace? The Internets are divided on this, with a lot of people preferring the ring finger to the pinkie and some even using the middle.

Lastly, a big thanks to Lanux for starting this topic!  :Thmbsup:
-nosh (September 20, 2009, 04:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not an accomplished touch-typist (avg 75 wpm in 22 races in type racer) but it depends on what you're hoping to accomplish.

Like I said, I learned touch-typing via hunt and peck so I hunt and peck the backspace with the ring finger.

If you learn the standard touch-typing technique though, your finger positioning should allow you to press the backspace with the pinky. I often resort to the middle finger when I'm typing fast though. (as in when doing these typing speed tests)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version