ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Do you touch-type or hunt-and-peck?

(1/15) > >>

lanux128:
recently a couple lamented that the school their kids go to do not have any formal classes to teach typing on a computer. i didn't realise that learning to type is important. do current work scope generally require the applicants to turn in an assessment showing what is their words-per-minute (wpm) speed?

i for one never learned how to type, always relying on word-expanders and auto-correcting macros to correct my mistakes when typing my reports and whatnot. therefore i am curious how important is it to learn to type-touch instead of hunt-and-peck and i would like to open this question to all here. how many of you have learned to touch-type and is it worth spending some time (especially for youngsters) learning it?

• related link on wikipedia

skwire:
I touch-type but have never taken formal classes or anything.  However, if a child has the opportunity to take a formal class, by all means, they should.

scancode:
Hunt-and-peckers should be tied up to a post and bashed with typewriters.
J/K.

Besides that, just what skwire said :)

cyberdiva:
I took a summer school typing class many years ago when I was in high school.  I've always been glad that I did.  I touch type pretty quickly, and I can type just as well on someone else's keyboard as on my own--a definite advantage over depending on text expanders and macros, I think.  I don't know about kids today--with their heavy use of texting with just their thumbs, etc., I don't know whether they'd find touch typing so useful.  But at least at present, I don't think they can text their term papers and reports  :)

sri:
I can't stress highly enough to those who haven't learnt typing how useful you will find if/once you learn it.

I took typing classes for only 15 days when I was in 10th standard but those basics were enough to make me type very quickly compared to most of my colleagues who keep looking at the keyboard when they type.

Like lanux, I also heavily use shortcut tools like PhraseExpress, Macro Express, AutoHotKey, FARR.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version