Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site April 16, 2014, 04:59:51 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Learn about the DonationCoder.com microdonation system (DonationCredits).

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Idea - Whats in my fridge?  (Read 20546 times)
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2009, 03:15:04 PM »

v1.0.4 - 2009-09-14
A fair effort, skwire.
Worked reasonably well for me but you seem to have overlooked one essential.
Where is the button to press that will command someone to go and get the shopping?
Oh, and could that track my commands in order to predict, for example, when I next want quail's eggs.
I know that Mouser is very keen on this kind of smart software.
 Wink

Chris
skwire

Another Coding Snack request? Om nom nom...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2009, 05:55:07 PM »

skwire: I recommend adding a "donate" button on the about box Wink

You know...this is something I've always struggled with.  To this point, I've never once a) asked for donations or b) put a donation link on any of my software or my website.

skwire

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2009, 05:27:00 AM »

Worked reasonably well for me but you seem to have overlooked one essential.
Where is the button to press that will command someone to go and get the shopping?
Oh, and could that track my commands in order to predict, for example, when I next want quail's eggs.
I know that Mouser is very keen on this kind of smart software.

Oh, I know he is...neural thinker and all that.  =]  I just randomly bash the keyboard and hope it compiles.   tongue

crono
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2009, 08:21:27 AM »

Maybe you should expand this idea into a simple website.  This way you can 'check the list' while shopping to make sure you don't buy something that is on your friends list that may be expiring.
I think the idea is perfect for a web app so its not tied to a single desktop.
yep, would make a fun website idea too, in case any other coder wants to tackle this coding snack.

Aye, somebody else feel free.  I know next to nothing about web coding.

Hmmm... I think I would like to port this :-) Are there any planned features comming in the near future? It would be great to "sync" it with the Desktop version, so you can "look" into your frige with your mobile phone while you are shopping...
Are you interested in working together on the sync thing, or is the app "closed" in your opinion?
skwire

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2009, 08:32:53 AM »

Sure...I'm happy to work together on it.  Just let me know what you'll need. 

skwire

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2009, 09:49:51 AM »

I suppose I should clarify my "knowing next to nothing about web coding" statement.  I'm extremely familiar with all the front end stuff... POSTing, GETing, etc.  It's the backend PHP stuff that I've not done much of.

mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2009, 06:41:50 PM »

featured at ghacks today  Thmbsup

http://www.ghacks.net/200...of-food-expiration-dates/
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2009, 06:47:11 PM »

Congratulations, Skwire!

Chris
skwire

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2009, 07:04:29 PM »

Thanks.  Wow...holy crap.  Not even a full day of development yet...   cheesy

app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2009, 07:15:05 PM »

I use my ToDo List application for building my grocery shopping list.

I initially added everything I needed to buy to the ToDo side and after everything was bought, moved it to the Done side. Next time I need to do shopping, I scroll down the Done side and move the items I need back to ToDo, add any new items that aren't in the lists yet, and print out the list (complete with little check boxes next to every item).

It would be nice if you could add something similar to your app, perhaps with a way to move things from the shopping list to the freezer and fridge, and adding them back to the shopping list when they run out or go bad.

Now that would be something great to sync with a web service.  cheesy

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2009, 08:56:18 PM »

.holy crap.  Not even a full day of development yet
one of the most magical things about being a member of this site is watching things like this.. someone posts an idea, someone writes it, and then we all get to read about it smiley
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2009, 09:41:01 PM »

.holy crap.  Not even a full day of development yet
one of the most magical things about being a member of this site is watching things like this.. someone posts an idea, someone writes it, and then we all get to read about it...
... and before you know it, there's a whole series of screencasts  Grin

Chris
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2009, 09:55:39 PM »

unlikely.. i've been begging skwire to make screencasts of Trout and he adamantly refuses.

now it will be nice to see if crono can make a web version.. personally i think you could skip the name+share issues for the web version and just track items and expirations.
MilesAhead

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2009, 11:27:55 PM »

... and before you know it, there's a whole series of screencasts  Grin

I'm still looking for a screencaster that substitutes Eric Cartman's voice.  Sweet! smiley

"I don’t want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
 - Groucho Marx

skwire

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2009, 11:29:41 PM »

unlikely.. i've been begging skwire to make screencasts of Trout and he adamantly refuses.

Soz, too busy with all of these Coding Snacks.   harhar

abent professor
Participant

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2009, 12:58:23 AM »

Guys, I've been away for the last few days. What the hell? Featured application, awesome new features.. I've started using this and I've installed it on a little touch screen in the kitchen and we've all been adding our various foods. Last night I went downstairs to the store and bought all the ingredients for a Lasagne (except the mince, because we had leftover and it was on the list  Grin)

It's simple, but it works well, pretty much exactly as I imagined it to ! Thanks so much skwire!

skwire

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2009, 01:07:16 AM »

You're welcome.  Glad you like it.   mrgreen

CleverCat
Supporting Member

Cat's Are Fun!

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2009, 01:58:39 AM »

Even using here so Mum doesn't need to say..

"You forgot to eat those Bananas I bought!"  Grin

If you need help - JUST ASK!
skwire

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2009, 04:06:09 AM »

Small bugfix.

Website | Download

v1.0.5 - 2009-09-16
    * If the day changes, colors are re-computed.

crono
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2009, 05:37:08 AM »

Sure...I'm happy to work together on it.  Just let me know what you'll need. 

Very nice -  right now I got no time to plan - I will come back to you this weekend :-)
jeromy
Supporting Member

« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2009, 12:01:19 AM »

Thank you very much for this!  I live alone and constantly throw stuff away because I forget that I bought something and don't remember to eat it.  I don't have the luxury of roommates trying to steal my food.
Any chance a future version could have a tray icon with an alert system to remind me to eat a food that is about to expire? smiley

This could save me a lot of money! 
skwire

« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2009, 01:16:28 AM »

Any chance a future version could have a tray icon with an alert system to remind me to eat a food that is about to expire? smiley

Sure, I could have it check say, at midnight, and it have it pop up a message box with items that are within two days of expiration.  That way, the message box is there for you first thing in the morning.  Is that along the lines of what you're thinking?

jeromy
Supporting Member

« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2009, 01:32:27 PM »

Sure, I could have it check say, at midnight, and it have it pop up a message box with items that are within two days of expiration.  That way, the message box is there for you first thing in the morning.  Is that along the lines of what you're thinking?

Yes, that would be perfect!
skwire

« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2009, 02:59:49 PM »

Website | Download
v1.0.6 - 2009-12-18
    + When the day changes (at midnight), a message box will pop up with a list of soon-to-expire items.  (Thanks, jeromy)

If the above addition turns out to be a problem for anybody else using this app, please let me know and I'll make it optional.

insert_nick
Supporting Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2011, 08:09:50 AM »

In Help -> About -> Credits you read:
Special thanks to "Absent Professor" on the DonationCoder forums for the original idea.
...but that should be "Abent Professor" :)
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.054s | Server load: 0.08 ]