topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 7:23 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking for help with a Logo  (Read 7700 times)

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
Looking for help with a Logo
« on: September 13, 2009, 09:27 AM »
I have a personal project I'm working on that needs a logo.  I have the logo basically designed in Photoshop but really need an EPS / high quality version and don't have the skill to get it done.  Is there anyone that can take my logo and get me an EPS / high quality version back?  There is no need to change anything just convert what's already there.

Thanx in advance.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for help with a Logo
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 09:32 AM »
I could quickly and easily convert an image to EPS, but there are a few possible issues:

1. I don't know if your .psd will open in my version of Paintshop Pro. (I have had troubles with stuff made in recent versions of Photoshop)
2. It would be in an older EPS format and have a white background.

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I will eat Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 09:40 AM »
I have a personal project I'm working on that needs a logo.  I have the logo basically designed in Photoshop but really need an EPS / high quality version and don't have the skill to get it done.  Is there anyone that can take my logo and get me an EPS / high quality version back?  There is no need to change anything just convert what's already there.

Thanx in advance.

You could try VectorMagic, iirc they allowed a couple of free conversions when you create an account.
Miss the days when that stuff was free :)

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 09:47 AM »
I could quickly and easily convert an image to EPS, but there are a few possible issues:

1. I don't know if your .psd will open in my version of Paintshop Pro. (I have had troubles with stuff made in recent versions of Photoshop)
2. It would be in an older EPS format and have a white background.

Thanx but I need a modern version of an EPS since I may need it for other uses beyond the website.  The background would need to be transparent.

Basically I need a vector version of my raster logo so I can resize to different sizes without affecting quality.

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 09:48 AM »
You could try VectorMagic, iirc they allowed a couple of free conversions when you create an account.

Checking it out now.  Thanx

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 09:52 AM »
VectorMagic doesn't do a good enough job - misses some elements.

FYI Here's the logo:
logo.png

(please don't attempt from the image as I have the font and there is one more element that doesn't show on the white background)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 09:54 AM »
What font is that? If I knew what font it was, I might be able to recreate it in PSP vector format (I'd have to check to see if I have a teardrop like that) and you could use it with free version of PSPX.

Forget that idea. Offer was withdrawn and replaced with some trialpay offer for another product.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 10:03 AM by app103 »

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 10:21 AM »
@app103 - I need it in a EPS format as it needs to be 'ready' for any use and EPS seems to be the format that everyone who speaks graphics deals with.  Plus this allows me to use it in Photoshop.

I appreciate the offer but don't want anyone to waste their time if it can't be done in EPS format.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 10:43 AM »
I'm currently working on my thesis, and to have vector images in the document I usually just print stuff to pdf.
Why can't you do it this way? Just have photoshop print it to pdf, then converting from pdf to eps should be really easy (pdftops + ps2eps).

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 11:25 AM »
I'm currently working on my thesis, and to have vector images in the document I usually just print stuff to pdf.
Why can't you do it this way? Just have photoshop print it to pdf, then converting from pdf to eps should be really easy (pdftops + ps2eps).

Since this is a logo, I want to make sure that the resulting EPS is a professional quality EPS (what ever information must be contained in it).  Graphics ain't my thing so I might be mistaking.

I thought the logo would need to be regenerated in something like illustrator and since it was basically a font and simple graphic that someone that knew illustrator would be able to do in in minutes.

I just don't know and might be way off base.

(fyi - You can make an EPS from within Photoshop using a custom shape - I think thats what it is - but I don't think the EPS contains the correct information and can really only be used from within Photoshop.)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 01:51 PM »
Oh, I don't really know what a professional quality EPS is :)

But I guess nudone might be able to help you with this, try sending him a PM, then!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 02:37 PM »
I think you've figured most of this out Veign:
a file from Photoshop with a font will be a bitmap (pixel) image (i.e. non-vector). So a photoshop file is no good to you (even if saved as EPS)

If you have the font you need to use it in some vector programme that can make an EPS file. I have illustrator but unfortunately have temporarily uninstalled it (long story) so probably cant help.

I'm not too well up on fonts - what is that one? Is the font freely available?
If I could get the font I could possibly do something in Freehand but cant guarantee - it's an older programme & doesnt like lots of modern fonts ..

For printing (professionally) a high-quality PDF with fonts embedded would probably be at least as good as an EPS but maybe not for the other uses you plan
Tom

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 03:00 PM »
tinjaw (member here) is looking at doing this for me.

Basically, what I have is Ok for the website but not for creating various sizes (already need a larger version).  I do have the font so that part is not an issue.

Thanx for everyone who looked at this thread.