ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Cyclic Redundancy Error on CD/DVD

<< < (5/6) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I would have thought CRC checks are more difficult than just wear and tear - it means that the data is readable but isn't consistent with what should have been recorded. (CRC is a caclculated number form the data that is recorded with the file - when reading it is recalculated and compared to what it should be.) It probably means the disc was originally recorded with errors.

One of the reasons I always verify optical discs when I burn them - so that I know source data and optical disk match.

ewemoa:
Sounds prudent  :up:

When I feel I have the time, in addition to verifying, I have also used SearchMyFiles with the Non-Duplicates Search option to compare the file content on the burned media with the source file content.  Perhaps a bit extreme, but IIUC it can catch some (hopefully unlikely) problems such as a file not getting placed within an ISO appropriately.

Target:
Sounds prudent  :up:

When I feel I have the time, in addition to verifying, I have also used SearchMyFiles with the Non-Duplicates Search option to compare the file content on the burned media with the source file content.  Perhaps a bit extreme, but IIUC it can catch some (hopefully unlikely) problems such as a file not getting placed within an ISO appropriately.
-ewemoa (July 05, 2012, 04:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

most 'decent' burning apps (I use ImgBurn) these days should include the option to verify a new disc as part of the process.

Where there's any doubt I also use CD Check

ewemoa:
I also use ImgBurn (very nice app!) and as I understand it, it's currently set up here to perform this sort of verification.

Are you familiar with the details of ImgBurn's verification process?  I don't know exactly what it does.

My impression is that this doesn't necessarily end up being equivalent to ensuring that the files you started with (e.g. pre-ISO creation) are what ends up burned on the disc, since there may be an intermediate step of creating an ISO (which is what I tend to do).

Even if ImgBurn does a good job, I may have failed to properly construct the ISO :)

Target:
I also use ImgBurn (very nice app!) and as I understand it, it's currently set up here to perform this sort of verification.

Are you familiar with the details of ImgBurn's verification process?  I don't know exactly what it does.

My impression is that this doesn't necessarily end up being equivalent to ensuring that the files you started with (e.g. pre-ISO creation) are what ends up burned on the disc, since there may be an intermediate step of creating an ISO (which is what I tend to do).

Even if ImgBurn does a good job, I may have failed to properly construct the ISO :)-ewemoa (July 05, 2012, 10:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

hence the redundancy check with CD Check (worth noting that it doesn't do audio disks...) - it's a handy tool and you can compare against a directory or a hash file (it will also generate the hashes)

FWIW I usually include a copy of the hash file in my write

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version