topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 6:52 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Cyclic Redundancy Error on CD/DVD  (Read 21420 times)

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Cyclic Redundancy Error on CD/DVD
« on: September 12, 2009, 11:15 PM »
Hello Folks,
              once again, can anyone help me. U see i h' few too many mp3, doc, and txt files i h' collected over a period of Month. Past few Weeks i tried to copy the content of the CD/DVD to my D: but after few mins of Pasting job , an error would pop up saying , so n so files cannot be copied: " Cyclic Redundancy Error ". Only half the contect in CD/DVD would be copied.
   Can anyone suggest me some measure/methods/solution, for this issue. 
I h tried POWER CD/DVD RECOVERY, but that piece of Program is good for Scratched CD/DVD'S, it takes too long to retrieve the DATA: i simply exit the program.

Any suggestion would be Great:

Thank you:
ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Cyclic Redundancy Error on CD/DVD
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 11:18 PM »
Unstoppable Copier comes to mind.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 07:05 AM »
I h tried POWER CD/DVD RECOVERY, but that piece of Program is good for Scratched CD/DVD'S, it takes too long to retrieve the DATA: i simply exit the program.
Try some patience?

Also, optical drives are subject to wear&tear like everything else - if your current drive is old, it might help getting a new one.
- carpe noctem

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 07:15 AM »
use this software called "CD Manipulator" to read the discs and make a backup image.

http://www.softpedia...CD-Manipulator.shtml

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 09:18 PM »
Also, optical drives are subject to wear&tear like everything else - if your current drive is old, it might help getting a new one.
use this software called "CD Manipulator" to read the discs and make a backup image.
Unstoppable Copier comes to mind.
Unstoppable Copier, doesn't work , againg it tends to hang.
actually i h' a DVD which contains all the doc,txt n mp3."CD Manipulator" seems to work only with CD'S.
 Any other DVD Reading Software.  :D
I h a Sony DVD/RW, its not that old , and i h' had no problem with it till date. Its actually the CD/DVD'S i use , i h a huge stack of DVD/S, since i dont carry it outside to work or give it to anyone else. i usually end up with buying DVD/S, just to save my HDD space, and the Quality would be compromised.
     Although some branded DVD'S havn't given me any problem till date , some as old as 7 years.
Cheaper ones tend to last only 1/2 years.

That aside any other suggestions:

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 09:47 PM »
No more suggestions but I have two thoughts:

1) Data recovery takes time and, sometimes, a lot of it.  Days, even weeks, are not out of the question.
2) A lot of the time, data cannot be recovered....period.

patthecat

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 11:43 PM »
It may not help with your immediate issue but maybe in the future look into these utilities in creating archives that has data recovery capabilities:

1. WinRar - can create .rar archives that has a adjustable recovery record size.  In case archive is corrupted, it can recreate that whole archive.
2. Parity archives - (parchive.sourceforge.net) Utilities such as QuickPar

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 12:48 AM »
Also, favor DVD+R to DVD-R media - it's better. And even when keeping the discs from humidity, sunlight, temperature fluctuations etc they aren't going to last forever. For important stuff, I wouldn't bet on more than 5 years before doing a refresh... and heck, I'd much rather store important stuff on external harddrives.
- carpe noctem

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 03:22 AM »
I use IsoPuzzle for CD/DVD recovery - only works for data discs, so no good for video or audio.

IsoPuzzle.jpgCyclic Redundancy Error on CD/DVD

That good thing I find with it is that you can try different drives, (because some drives are just better than others at reading discs), and just import any recovered blocks back into the main recovery ISO.

Although if you're not willing to wait for a program to work.....is there really a point?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 03:30 AM by 4wd »

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 08:24 AM »
The only thing that's worked for me, and worked surprisingly well at that, is polishing the disks with brasso. I've had a success rate of around 75%. Software can only do so much if your disk is truly effed up.

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I will eat Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 08:32 AM »
I used IsoBuster with both Audio/Data CDs and PlayStation (the original gray box) discs... It's not _that_ slow :P

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 11:07 AM »
The only thing that's worked for me, and worked surprisingly well at that, is polishing the disks with brasso. I've had a success rate of around 75%. Software can only do so much if your disk is truly effed up.
This should be the last resort, though, as you risk damaging the discs more than you fix them :)
- carpe noctem

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 08:05 PM »
This should be the last resort, though, as you risk damaging the discs more than you fix them :)

I've actually used Brasso on more discs than I can remember over the years, not one has come off worse and I'm always able to get them to a condition in which the data/video/audio will be read error free.

About the only ways you could risk damaging the disc using Brasso are:
a) You're using the equivalent of sandpaper for polishing - I use old clean t-shirts or towels.
b) You're doing it with the disc resting on a rough surface thereby possibly scratching the reflective layer.
c) You polish the disc in the wrong direction.
d) The scratch you're trying to polish out is way too deep.
e) You rapidly get fed up, develop tennis elbow and hoe into it with a angle grinder in frustration.

Using Brasso is not a fast fix, I've spent an hour+ on one CD I bought secondhand just to get it to play in a CD player.  It went from looking like a road map of Los Angeles to almost brand new store bought condition.

Note though that it's only good for physical damage to the polycarbonate side of the disc: scratches, pits, etc.

I've found that CRC errors are generally caused by a poor disc write or defects in the reflective layer or recording chemical layer, (poor disc quality).

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 08:28 PM »
For future reference of your burned (important) data, it might be handy to use a tool like DVDisaster (sourceforge).

In short, you have to sacrifice up to 20% of the storage capacity from the DVD. For a standard (re)writeable DVD this means that you can store more or less 4GByte of info. The rest of the capacity will be used to store data with which DVDisaster can recalculate your (important) data.

The software is available for Windows, Linux and Mac. What it also can do is checking the consistency of your disc and how fast your DVD player/burner can read the whole disc. When you download the software the online manual is included. My suggestion would be to check that one first to see if this software should be included in your backup strategy or not.

For me it looks like a nice little bit of extra data "insurance" without too much sacrifice (storage wise).

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 11:12 PM »
Before using POWER CD/DVD RECOVERY, i was using ISO BUSTER, i tried:
Of all these IsoPuzzle , worked on Retreiving DOC and TXT .Thank u for that,,,,,but none of the Warez worked on retreiving Media files ie.,Video . It failed to make an ISO of a DVD Movie Beowulf having Cyclic Redundancy Error,,,its not like i m asking too much or extending this Thread.
  Like always people in donationcoder are Great....thank u. :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 11:14 PM by hulkbuster »

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 12:52 AM »
Thank u for that,,,,,but none of the Warez worked on retreiving Media files ie.,Video .
>_<

It failed to make an ISO of a DVD Movie Beowulf having Cyclic Redundancy Error,,,its not like i m asking too much or extending this Thread.
Ah, so in fact you're not dealing with damaged CD/DVD media, but copy-protected DVD movies, probably using ARccOS protection.
- carpe noctem

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 09:24 AM »
Well i h' a DVD Movie Disc as well i wanted to rip, and i dont want to infringe Forum Rule by adding: i h' had many VCD converted to avi a long time back. And wrote 3/4 avi movies to a DVD to save time inserting it in DIVX PLAYER and would be easy on my part to play and enjoy the movie, hence i mentioned the above Programs were unsuccessful at retreiving movie data.
 In the past i h' had 99% success rate by using
  • MT.Solution.Power CD.DVD.Recovery and
  • ISO Buster.
For retreiving doc,txt and movie clips like avi,flv etc.
    But in this case "Cyclic Reduncancy Error", is a whole new thing i m coming across, once i got this error on my Hard Drive and i just Defraged the problem.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 10:46 PM »
But in this case "Cyclic Reduncancy Error", is a whole new thing i m coming across, once i got this error on my Hard Drive and i just Defraged the problem.

As f0dder mentioned, you've probably run into Sony's ARccOS protection.  Corrupt data sectors are deliberately put onto the DVD to prevent copying - and it worked.....for all of a week probably :)

Use the free DVDFab Decrypter to copy the contents onto your HDD.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2009, 11:32 AM »
FWIW another media recovery option is CD Recovery Toolbox Free which trumpets its ability to recover info from any CD or DVD.

Mind you, I haven't had the time to test it extensively so I cannot say how it compares to more well-known tools like IsoBuster.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 09:50 PM »
For future reference of your burned (important) data, it might be handy to use a tool like DVDisaster (sourceforge).

In short, you have to sacrifice up to 20% of the storage capacity from the DVD. For a standard (re)writeable DVD this means that you can store more or less 4GByte of info. The rest of the capacity will be used to store data with which DVDisaster can recalculate your (important) data.

The software is available for Windows, Linux and Mac. What it also can do is checking the consistency of your disc and how fast your DVD player/burner can read the whole disc. When you download the software the online manual is included. My suggestion would be to check that one first to see if this software should be included in your backup strategy or not.

For me it looks like a nice little bit of extra data "insurance" without too much sacrifice (storage wise).

I've been using this for some months now -- even got to test its recovery capabilities once :)

One caveat I've come across has to do with Bluray discs -- scanning seems to lead to the program dying if you're using the winPenPack portable version (0.72.2 rev 10 and 0.72.3 rev 10), at least with Windows 7.  Otherwise it seems to work fine under Debian GNU/Linux as well as the setup-based Windows version (at least for some of the 0.72.x series).

For DVDs, I think I end up with less than 4 GB, but more than 3 GB to achieve the recommended 20% level of sacrificial space.

The main downsides seem to have to do with the amount of time it can take to generate the error correction data (perhaps my equipment is dated) and I haven't yet found a way to control it via the command line.  It doesn't appear to support triple or quad layer Bluray discs yet, but I don't have access to such discs or hardware at this point anyway...

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 03:37 AM »
I would have thought CRC checks are more difficult than just wear and tear - it means that the data is readable but isn't consistent with what should have been recorded. (CRC is a caclculated number form the data that is recorded with the file - when reading it is recalculated and compared to what it should be.) It probably means the disc was originally recorded with errors.

One of the reasons I always verify optical discs when I burn them - so that I know source data and optical disk match.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2012, 04:24 AM »
Sounds prudent  :up:

When I feel I have the time, in addition to verifying, I have also used SearchMyFiles with the Non-Duplicates Search option to compare the file content on the burned media with the source file content.  Perhaps a bit extreme, but IIUC it can catch some (hopefully unlikely) problems such as a file not getting placed within an ISO appropriately.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2012, 06:10 PM »
Sounds prudent  :up:

When I feel I have the time, in addition to verifying, I have also used SearchMyFiles with the Non-Duplicates Search option to compare the file content on the burned media with the source file content.  Perhaps a bit extreme, but IIUC it can catch some (hopefully unlikely) problems such as a file not getting placed within an ISO appropriately.

most 'decent' burning apps (I use ImgBurn) these days should include the option to verify a new disc as part of the process.

Where there's any doubt I also use CD Check

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2012, 10:06 PM »
I also use ImgBurn (very nice app!) and as I understand it, it's currently set up here to perform this sort of verification.

Are you familiar with the details of ImgBurn's verification process?  I don't know exactly what it does.

My impression is that this doesn't necessarily end up being equivalent to ensuring that the files you started with (e.g. pre-ISO creation) are what ends up burned on the disc, since there may be an intermediate step of creating an ISO (which is what I tend to do).

Even if ImgBurn does a good job, I may have failed to properly construct the ISO :)

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2012, 11:19 PM »
I also use ImgBurn (very nice app!) and as I understand it, it's currently set up here to perform this sort of verification.

Are you familiar with the details of ImgBurn's verification process?  I don't know exactly what it does.

My impression is that this doesn't necessarily end up being equivalent to ensuring that the files you started with (e.g. pre-ISO creation) are what ends up burned on the disc, since there may be an intermediate step of creating an ISO (which is what I tend to do).

Even if ImgBurn does a good job, I may have failed to properly construct the ISO :)

hence the redundancy check with CD Check (worth noting that it doesn't do audio disks...) - it's a handy tool and you can compare against a directory or a hash file (it will also generate the hashes)

FWIW I usually include a copy of the hash file in my write
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 11:24 PM by Target »