ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Cyclic Redundancy Error on CD/DVD

<< < (3/6) > >>

scancode:
I used IsoBuster with both Audio/Data CDs and PlayStation (the original gray box) discs... It's not _that_ slow :P

f0dder:
The only thing that's worked for me, and worked surprisingly well at that, is polishing the disks with brasso. I've had a success rate of around 75%. Software can only do so much if your disk is truly effed up.-nosh (September 14, 2009, 08:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
This should be the last resort, though, as you risk damaging the discs more than you fix them :)

4wd:
The only thing that's worked for me, and worked surprisingly well at that, is polishing the disks with brasso. I've had a success rate of around 75%. Software can only do so much if your disk is truly effed up.-nosh (September 14, 2009, 08:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
This should be the last resort, though, as you risk damaging the discs more than you fix them :)-f0dder (September 14, 2009, 11:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've actually used Brasso on more discs than I can remember over the years, not one has come off worse and I'm always able to get them to a condition in which the data/video/audio will be read error free.

About the only ways you could risk damaging the disc using Brasso are:
a) You're using the equivalent of sandpaper for polishing - I use old clean t-shirts or towels.
b) You're doing it with the disc resting on a rough surface thereby possibly scratching the reflective layer.
c) You polish the disc in the wrong direction.
d) The scratch you're trying to polish out is way too deep.
e) You rapidly get fed up, develop tennis elbow and hoe into it with a angle grinder in frustration.

Using Brasso is not a fast fix, I've spent an hour+ on one CD I bought secondhand just to get it to play in a CD player.  It went from looking like a road map of Los Angeles to almost brand new store bought condition.

Note though that it's only good for physical damage to the polycarbonate side of the disc: scratches, pits, etc.

I've found that CRC errors are generally caused by a poor disc write or defects in the reflective layer or recording chemical layer, (poor disc quality).

Shades:
For future reference of your burned (important) data, it might be handy to use a tool like DVDisaster (sourceforge).

In short, you have to sacrifice up to 20% of the storage capacity from the DVD. For a standard (re)writeable DVD this means that you can store more or less 4GByte of info. The rest of the capacity will be used to store data with which DVDisaster can recalculate your (important) data.

The software is available for Windows, Linux and Mac. What it also can do is checking the consistency of your disc and how fast your DVD player/burner can read the whole disc. When you download the software the online manual is included. My suggestion would be to check that one first to see if this software should be included in your backup strategy or not.

For me it looks like a nice little bit of extra data "insurance" without too much sacrifice (storage wise).

hulkbuster:
Before using POWER CD/DVD RECOVERY, i was using ISO BUSTER, i tried:
[*]Unstoppable Copier
[*]ISO Buster
[*]CD Manipulator
[*]IsoPuzzle
[/list]

Of all these IsoPuzzle , worked on Retreiving DOC and TXT .Thank u for that,,,,,but none of the Warez worked on retreiving Media files ie.,Video . It failed to make an ISO of a DVD Movie Beowulf having Cyclic Redundancy Error,,,its not like i m asking too much or extending this Thread.
  Like always people in donationcoder are Great....thank u. :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version