topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Organize desktop icons and more...  (Read 20210 times)

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Organize desktop icons and more...
« on: September 12, 2009, 07:00 PM »

I would like a program for organize the icons in the desktop and more.....

Simpler the best.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Organize desktop icons and more...
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 01:46 AM »
I'm a big fan of not have any icons on my desktop - I use docks - but this is Free...

http://www.stardock.com/products/fences/

:)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 02:01 AM »
Unfortunately the 0.96 beta ended early - or so Stardock claims. It was supposed to be in force till November 1 but about a week or so ago it started throwing a popup stating the beta was over and you had to download and install the 0.99 beta. I personally think it was an intentional mistake. Why, you ask? Because the 0.99 beta version automatically installs Stardock's Impulse installer and auto-updating software. Impulse is a fairly heavy piece of software, runs all the time, is setup in your Startup config on Windows boxes, and it alerts you to their new games. Bah!

Jim
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 02:03 AM by J-Mac »

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 02:11 AM »
Fences @ 0.96 would give me random explorer errors and crashes, was looking forward to updated or post-beta versions but if they are bundling other stuff might have to pass.

Regarding organizing icons I still think a clean desktop is a better possibility by setting up periodic folder and file moves via AHK, powerpro or something like Belvedere, probably not what the OP is asking but an option

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 02:24 AM »
I run Impulse as I have the whole Object Desktop package - I only fire it up when checking for updates! But you're correct - it does use resources which is why I upgraded to a Dual Core CPU...

Another option to tidy up is to put the icons in a folder and then in one click you have them or..........use the Quick Launch Bar? A Google search should bring up a plethora of programmes but on DC I find you can generally get good input from others experiences!

I find Object Dock much better than having Desktop Icons  :Thmbsup:Desktop.jpg
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 02:29 AM by CleverCat »

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 02:40 AM »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 08:24 AM »
I also recently started to use Fences, and would recommend it. However, the persistence of Impulse with the latest version is enough to make me de-install the whole lot.

As an interim measure, I have used Zone Alarm to block Impulse at the firewall, and I have set DC's Process Tamer to force kill the two Impulse applications that run. The Impulse system remains on the hard drive.

It's not an elegant approach, I realise, but it does save me the time and effort necessary to find out what happens to Fences if I try and expunge Impulse from the hard drive.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 08:34 AM »
What does it mean to 'organize' the desktop icons? How many are there? I have organized mine by hiding all of them! A couple of years ago I didn't have as many icons as I have today, so back then I was using ($20) http://www.idesksoft.com/ , with great pleasure :-) But you may be thinking about a more 'practical' order?

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 08:49 AM »
I actually have Impulse installed on my desktop, as I also have a subscription to Stardock's Object Desktop. However I uninstalled Fences on my notebook computer rather than install Impulse there.

Installing the Fences update on my desktop caused Impulse to reinstall over itself; they apparently did not include the ability to check and see if it is already installed!

Jim

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 11:52 AM »
Thankssss everybody.

I recently install Fences because a Softonic bulletin. The license finished in november. And the impulse program is horrorous and infamous. I don't like. It's a program so simple and I thought must be a GPL alternative.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 11:58 AM »
What does it mean to 'organize' the desktop icons? How many are there? I have organized mine by hiding all of them! A couple of years ago I didn't have as many icons as I have today, so back then I was using ($20) http://www.idesksoft.com/ , with great pleasure :-) But you may be thinking about a more 'practical' order?
I'll take a look. For myself I don't need much. I have very few icons in the desktop. I use launchy, power tray and windows folders to launch almost everything from the task bar, and use one column to the left for the icons, maximum two columns.

But is not for me. Fences like at the beginning because the hiding. I use often a wallpaper changer (webshots) and the icons "bother" to images. The fences is a good idea to mantain organized and hide often.

I want the program for a friend who uses intensivily icons on the desktop and have two monitors........

Sometimes the icons goes un-arranged. So he need an easy way to mantain the order.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 12:01 PM »
http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/2202/screenshot1252861161.jpg

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 12:07 PM »
Fences @ 0.96 would give me random explorer errors and crashes, was looking forward to updated or post-beta versions but if they are bundling other stuff might have to pass.

Regarding organizing icons I still think a clean desktop is a better possibility by setting up periodic folder and file moves via AHK, powerpro or something like Belvedere, probably not what the OP is asking but an option

ajá. The magic folder..... There are similar solutions for windows xp. But I don't really uses, except perhaps the automove of downloaded files.....

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 12:11 PM »
I also recently started to use Fences, and would recommend it. However, the persistence of Impulse with the latest version is enough to make me de-install the whole lot.

As an interim measure, I have used Zone Alarm to block Impulse at the firewall, and I have set DC's Process Tamer to force kill the two Impulse applications that run. The Impulse system remains on the hard drive.

It's not an elegant approach, I realise, but it does save me the time and effort necessary to find out what happens to Fences if I try and expunge Impulse from the hard drive.

Good idea. Perhaps I can do the same with the standard windows xp firewall.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 12:12 PM »
I actually have Impulse installed on my desktop, as I also have a subscription to Stardock's Object Desktop. However I uninstalled Fences on my notebook computer rather than install Impulse there.

Installing the Fences update on my desktop caused Impulse to reinstall over itself; they apparently did not include the ability to check and see if it is already installed!

Jim

Stardock object desktop is similar to fences ?

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2009, 12:14 PM »

I'll take a look

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2009, 12:19 PM »

I have belvedere installed a lot time ago (27.12.2008). But I don't use......

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2009, 12:24 PM »
I run Impulse as I have the whole Object Desktop package - I only fire it up when checking for updates! But you're correct - it does use resources which is why I upgraded to a Dual Core CPU...

Another option to tidy up is to put the icons in a folder and then in one click you have them or..........use the Quick Launch Bar? A Google search should bring up a plethora of programmes but on DC I find you can generally get good input from others experiences!

I find Object Dock much better than having Desktop Icons  :Thmbsup: (see attachment in previous post)

I have one objection to new philosofies. I am used to create direct access o archives dowloaded to the desktop. And is difficult to change.

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/2202/screenshot1252861161.jpg

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2009, 01:37 AM »
I used to use this before Desktop X..

http://www.sillysot.com/

Should do what your friend needs! :D

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 01:45 AM »

Jim

Strange, because I'm updating my Stardock programmes all the time and Impulse just updates itself too without 'reinstalling'?

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2009, 02:08 AM »

Jim

Strange, because I'm updating my Stardock programmes all the time and Impulse just updates itself too without 'reinstalling'?

Same here for all else. But when I installed the latest Fences beta it reinstalled Impulse too.

Jim

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2009, 02:12 AM »
That is strange!

vixay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • ViXaY
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2009, 03:27 AM »
is it just me or does the latest fences app not allow you to drag icons into fences anymore? People have been complaining about it and it is disappointing.

But I must say fences is the app I have been thinking of all these years. The only thing missing now is auto-sorting and tagging by default (i.e. i don't want to bloody configure all the rules! Maybe some people do, but generally intelligent defaults is the way to go.)

"Drunk on the Nectar of Life!" -me

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2009, 07:38 AM »
I have put off impulse now.exe from the startup folder and no problem. And even can put more minutes to revise.
Therefore the publicity is easy to take off. And this procedure ocuppied almost  10 KB ram memory.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2009, 07:39 AM »

I take a look. At the present moment I am happy with Fences. And I testing for my friend.