ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Will Win7 last as long as XP?

<< < (5/11) > >>

Darwin:
I'm not using it as my main OS, so I guess I still need to play with it a bit more. (that's also why I upgraded so fast - I had no important data on the previous windows installation).
-jgpaiva (September 13, 2009, 05:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

This is a major factor in why I cancelled my pre-order: there's no upgrade path unless you go from Vista Ultimate to Win 7 Ultimate and I'm not too interested in having to reinstall my software and migrate my settings. Again. I know that there are programs out there that are supposed to will let me do this, but...

cyberdiva:
Keep in mind that Win7 isn't that different from Vista.
-f0dder (September 13, 2009, 08:28 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks, f0dder.  I realize that, but from what I've seen so far, people seem much happier with W7 than with Vista.  Since I'm still running XP Pro, I don't have direct experience with Vista, but my impression is that at least some of the aspects of Vista that bother people have been changed/eliminated in W7.  At least I hope so.  :) 

f0dder:
Vista has worked pretty well since SP1 arrived - after all, I kept it on my laptop. Win7 seems a bit faster & lighter, and I definitely like the various enhancements (user interface, optimizations, etc) that it brings over Vista - but it isn't that different. It's definitely more than a service pack, though :)

tranglos:
(a) Are you planning on upgrading to Win7 before year's end?
-zridling (September 12, 2009, 04:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not in the least. I upgraded to Win95 in 1997 or so; to XP only after SP2 was released; never intended to upgrade to Vista. And in XP, I enabled the default (themed) interface only a year ago :)

Vista never had a compelling reason to upgrade, and I have yet to see one for 7. But most of all, I cannot risk any instability, since it might easily cost me my monthly income, or a loss of a client.

When I upgraded to XP, it was for two reasons: certain drivers for Win2000 were becoming flaky or non-existent, and a number of applications I must use for work were becoming XP-only. Interestingly, none of these apps (including some in-house apps made by Microsoft and heavily reliant on .Net) ever became Vista-only. I'd say it's a good rule of the thumb to do what Microsoft does, not what they say.

(b) Will it last as long as XP, or will Microsoft kill it in time for another upgrade in two years?
--- End quote ---

Who knows. I'm happy to see Vista didn't last long. It's a pimple on the face of computing. But how is 7 any better?

(c) Are you planning to buy an upgrade version, full version, or just buy it with a new computer?
--- End quote ---

Probably a new version, since there seems to be no upgrade path from XP. But I'll be sticking with XP until some technology critical for my work requires a switch.

tranglos:
I really like the new interface. So much so that I installed a similar taskbar in linux.
-jgpaiva (September 13, 2009, 05:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Looking at the screenshots, the taskbar seems way oversized now (just like the Office 2007 ribbon), but no longer displays any text - just the icons. This seems like it's going to be inconvenient: with two instances of the same app, how can I tell which is which? Can the taskbar be configrued to look like XP, with regular text labels?

And is it really all black, as some screenshots imply? (I'd hate that.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version