ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Free Windows Image Editor than can pull image from command line url?

<< < (2/2)

MilesAhead:
@sri thanks for the reply.  What I wanted was a way to do the most common thing with a graphic, bring it up in an image editor or viewer, without copying the graphic to the clipboard.  The reason is that my Selector program tries to save any text already in the clipboard, then copies selected text, then puts the original clipboard text back.  To handle all formats is too much work.  So looking for a way to get at the graphic with just text clipboard format I settled on 2 ways.

1) I added a button to Selector that takes the link when you do "Copy Image Location" and uses InetGet to download it to a temp file.  It should "download" right from the browser cache so it shouldn't cost anything.  I get the extension from the image link and use it for the temp file extension so that the type will be the same(.bmp .jpg whatever) and then I "open" with the default using Windows type association.

2) I include a program in the download "LoadImageURL" that you can put in Selector ListBox that does the same thing as the Button, but it allows you to set up a program other than the default to edit and saves that to .ini file to use automatically subsequently.

It seems a pretty good compromise because I'm not trying to do any kind of full purpose clipboard utility.  It's just meant to be a "glue utility" for convenience. Once I started doing it and I realized it could handle shortcuts then it because more useful since you could put multiple shortcuts to the same app with various customizations in the ListBox.

If I have an actual image in the clipboard then clicking the Irfanview shortcut with the /clippaste works pretty well.  Only thing is I have to remember not to pop up Selector when there's a graphic in the clipboard as there seems to be no easy way to save it for restoration without making spaghetti out of my code.

It's a compromise but it's less likely to break this way too.  Simple string copies.  From messing around the thing I did add which I like is if no program is selected in the ListBox it uses Windows association to just try to Open whatever the paramater is.  So if you had a line in EditPad Lite that was the name of a text file, like MyFile.txt and notepad was the default text editor, you could just highlight the filename and hit Selector hotkey and click the Go button. It should come up in Notepad without doing anything else... if the file exists that is. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version