topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:19 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Free Windows Image Editor than can pull image from command line url?  (Read 5637 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Anyone know a free Windows Image Editor(like Irfanview or Photofiltre) that can read the image from a URL on the command line?

What I'd like to be able to do, instead of copying the image itself to the clipboard, opening an image editor, then hitting paste.. is just pass the URL of the image on the web to the image editor and have it load it on startup like:

ImgEditor FakeWebSiteUrl/SomeImage.bmp

and ImgEditor would open with the image loaded.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Free Windows Image Editor than can pull image from command line url?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 12:42 AM »
I don't know of any desktop one that can do that but SUMO Paint can (pretty cool online image editor too)

You don't need an account. Just load it and use it, download your finished image when you are done. Account is only needed to store your images on their server.

Screenshot - 9_13_2009 , 1_41_07 AM.pngFree Windows Image Editor than can pull image from command line url?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 06:07 PM »
Thanks for the link.  What I did was use InetGet() function in Selector to download the image to a temp file. It works pretty well as long as it's a straight url like somedomain/image.jpg and not some javascript thing.  Plus InetGet by default tries to do the "download" from the browser cache.

Then I use the file type association to open the graphics file.  Also I made a glue app in AutoIt3 to do the same thing but it allows you to choose your graphics editor and saves the path to an .ini file. That way you can either use the default app or have another editor for special web whatevers.

Guess I'm just too lazy to mess with all those clipboard data types when I can kludge it.  :)

edit: btw from messing around trying to do this I found IrfanView has a /clippaste command line switch.  For opening simple screen captures I made another shortcut with the switch.  When I launch IrfanView it comes up with the image pasted already.  Just saves a couple of clicks.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 06:11 PM by MilesAhead »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 02:41 AM »
I don't know of any desktop one that can do that but SUMO Paint can (pretty cool online image editor too)

looks impressive
Tom

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 04:53 AM »
MilesAhead: This is probably not you what you want, and is perhaps a work-around.

You can use a macro type utility that would simulate launching your image editor, pressing ctrl+O, pasting the image URL in the clipboard and press enter.

For example, I have created a macro using Macro Express having the following code:

<LAUNCH PROGRAM AND ACTIVATE WINDOW Title="IrfanView" Exact_Match="FALSE" Wildcards="FALSE" Path="C:\\Program Files\\IrfanView\\i_view32.exe" Mode="\x00" Default_Path="TRUE" Wait="1" Wait_For_Program="12"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="o"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<CONTROL>v"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<ENTER>"/>

I kept this macro on my desktop and assigned it an alias "irfanview" in FARR.

So the workflow is the copy the image URL, bring up FARR, type "irfanview" and press enter. Irfanview then opens up the image.
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 02:17 PM »
@sri thanks for the reply.  What I wanted was a way to do the most common thing with a graphic, bring it up in an image editor or viewer, without copying the graphic to the clipboard.  The reason is that my Selector program tries to save any text already in the clipboard, then copies selected text, then puts the original clipboard text back.  To handle all formats is too much work.  So looking for a way to get at the graphic with just text clipboard format I settled on 2 ways.

1) I added a button to Selector that takes the link when you do "Copy Image Location" and uses InetGet to download it to a temp file.  It should "download" right from the browser cache so it shouldn't cost anything.  I get the extension from the image link and use it for the temp file extension so that the type will be the same(.bmp .jpg whatever) and then I "open" with the default using Windows type association.

2) I include a program in the download "LoadImageURL" that you can put in Selector ListBox that does the same thing as the Button, but it allows you to set up a program other than the default to edit and saves that to .ini file to use automatically subsequently.

It seems a pretty good compromise because I'm not trying to do any kind of full purpose clipboard utility.  It's just meant to be a "glue utility" for convenience. Once I started doing it and I realized it could handle shortcuts then it because more useful since you could put multiple shortcuts to the same app with various customizations in the ListBox.

If I have an actual image in the clipboard then clicking the Irfanview shortcut with the /clippaste works pretty well.  Only thing is I have to remember not to pop up Selector when there's a graphic in the clipboard as there seems to be no easy way to save it for restoration without making spaghetti out of my code.

It's a compromise but it's less likely to break this way too.  Simple string copies.  From messing around the thing I did add which I like is if no program is selected in the ListBox it uses Windows association to just try to Open whatever the paramater is.  So if you had a line in EditPad Lite that was the name of a text file, like MyFile.txt and notepad was the default text editor, you could just highlight the filename and hit Selector hotkey and click the Go button. It should come up in Notepad without doing anything else... if the file exists that is. :)

« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 02:21 PM by MilesAhead »