topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:52 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Remove duplicate files, folders and archives - DupeTrasher 2009  (Read 26577 times)

NigelH

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Remove duplicate files, folders and archives - DupeTrasher 2009
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2009, 07:43 PM »
Has the 40% discount ended? It's still 27th Sept in my location.
As soon as I add the coupon, price drops back to full purchase price.
The 30% from the main page appears to be working though.

*EDIT*
Well, it appears so
Adding the coupon DT2009-DC2W results in..
! The coupon code you entered is invalid. If you have questions about this, please contact the publisher.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 07:47 PM by NigelH »

grantw7

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2009, 08:27 PM »
Like NigelH I just got the same reply.
It is 6:27 pm Pacific Standard Time on Sept 27th here.

clmcveigh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2009, 08:40 AM »
DupeTrasher's Website: http://www.dupetrasher.com/

Note for DonationCoder users: You can get DupeTrasher 2009 with the discount of 40% if you enter coupon code DT2009-DC2W on the order page.
This is time limited discount, available for the first two weeks (until 28. September 2009.) from the release of DupeTrasher 2009.

Just today received DonationCoder newsletter announcing DupeTrasher, and after reading reviews and watching the video opted to purchase. While filling out the order form, I entered the code above, and I get a msg that "code is invalid". The memo above states the code is valid thru 28-Sept, which is today.   Any suggestions??

AsmDev

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • DupeTrasher's Author
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2009, 10:35 AM »
Hi guys,

I've just extended the end date for this 40% discount coupon as mouser and I agreed previously for this newsletter.
Here is the order link with the coupon code embedded so that you don't have to hustle with manual typing:
https://secure.shareit.com/shareit/checkout.html?PRODUCT[300333594]=1&COUPON1=DT2009-DC2W

(you will have to copy/paste it to web browser since this forum's link tag can't seem to handle this link correctly, probably because of the brackets in it... mouser, you might wanna check this out in your forum code)

Please excuse for this issue, I thought that DonationCoder newsletter will be released on October 1st and wasn't expecting it a few days earlier. Also, it appears that e-commerce server is located in Europe so 27th Sept. was adjusted to that time zone.

Thank you all for your support!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 10:45 AM by AsmDev »

clmcveigh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2009, 12:04 PM »
I've just extended the end date for this 40% discount coupon as mouser and I agreed previously for this newsletter.

AsmDev ~
Thank you for your quick response to this discount code, and for extending it. However, I just decided to go ahead and purchase it at 30% off, just in case you didn't see these messages. It's only $2.50 difference.

But, I just installed it, and am rather disappointed. I assumed (not a good thing to do!) that it would recognize all my drives; yet, it only recognizes hard-wired devices. I wanted to try and clean up my back-up external drive (W:) because I know there's tons of duplicates on there and is pretty much max'd out, space-wise.

Any plans to expand this to recognize network drives, or external hard drives??

It sure did find the dups on my hard-drive in no time flat. Will have to spend time learning how best to use all this program's functionality.

Thanks,
Cheryl

AsmDev

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • DupeTrasher's Author
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2009, 01:09 PM »
Hi clmcveigh,

Yes I noticed a 30% order and I could link your name to your nick here. Thanks!

As for default search locations, you are right there are only hard drives set for search by default, but that is not a problem to update with other locations for the next version. I just didn't have any complains so far about it as users usually search only the hard drives. On the other hand it is also really easy to add any other location just by "drag and drop" (in the custom search mode).

Anyway, I am putting this on the TODO list so let me ask you a question regarding this: would you suggest that all available drives should be checked for the search by default?
This question applies for the "One click search" feature too, do you think all drives should be included or just leave it as it is now (only fixed drives)?
Note that network drives could make the whole process much much slower so this might annoy new user on the first impression.

It sure did find the dups on my hard-drive in no time flat. Will have to spend time learning how best to use all this program's functionality.

Well, I was trying to implement "don't make me think" approach for the users as much as possible, so hopefully you wont have to spend much time on learning but rather just "use it". :) I personally hate to learn how to use any "small" software. Once installed, I'd just like to do "less thinking and more doing" in order to get my job done.

Thanks

« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 01:15 PM by AsmDev »

AsmDev

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • DupeTrasher's Author
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2009, 01:33 PM »
When I first read about DupeTrasher, I swore not to try it! The reason is very simple and can be illustrated with a little screenshot from my True_Launchbar:
 (see attachment in previous post)
- and, yes, they are all fully licensed $hareware programs - edit except for the 'Nuker.

But why do I keep on purchasing this kind of programs? In fact, I didn't quite know the answer myself until I read patteo's post (Reply #18). What I am missing is speed (and ease) in the USE of the program (ANY program)! I acknowledge that DupeTrasher is a very fast scanner, but the examples given by patteo goes to show how to make the final result come out even faster yet.

Personally I have no idea how to write "genuine" command-line parameters, so I am bound to also ask for pre-written examples. As an example, if AsmDev is reading this and maybe even will try out the free Quizo QTTabbar with Vista's Explorer, then Vista+Quizo makes me able to add simple arguments like %f% and such (see next screenshot) to a shortcut to any program. I am however not convinced that these arguments are universal accepted.(?) At least, I think I have seen others use quite different arguments.
 (see attachment in previous post)

Hi Curt,

I will definitely try that software you suggested in order to gain more insight into problems you have. I think I will be able to develop some solution that will enable guys like patteo and you to automate common tasks and get the complex job done in a 2-3 clicks.

It would be helpful if you could tell me how common scenarios that you want to automate look like. For example, do you have a folder with master duplicates that you regularly compare against some other folders and want to remove files from them which are found in master folder?
Or when you plug in your USB flash would you like to have it compared against files you already have on your hard drive?

These two are just from the top of my head of what common scenarios people have when they want to get rid of dupes quickly.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2009, 01:40 PM »
As for default search locations, you are right there are only hard drives set for search by default, but that is not a problem to update with other locations for the next version. I just didn't have any complains so far about it as users usually search only the hard drives. On the other hand it is also really easy to add any other location just by "drag and drop" (in the custom search mode).

Anyway, I am putting this on the TODO list so let me ask you a question regarding this: would you suggest that all available drives should be checked for the search by default?
This question applies for the "One click search" feature too, do you think all drives should be included or just leave it as it is now (only fixed drives)?

My own vote on this is to make mapped drives available in any interface that lets you select drives, but they shouldn't be slected by default (though they should probably remember any previous selection).

I haven't tried yet, but the tool should also accept UNC paths ("\\server\share\etc") if the user types them in or navigates to them in a folder selection dialog (by way of  something like Network Neighborhood or drag-n-drop).

clmcveigh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2009, 04:50 PM »
My own vote on this is to make mapped drives available in any interface that lets you select drives, but they shouldn't be slected by default (though they should probably remember any previous selection).

I concur. Just would like them available on the list to checkmark or not, as desired. I have three systems and 7 hard drives mapped.  I'd like to choose, as needed.  I would never run a compare against all drives, I don't have enough years left in my life to await that report :-)

clmcveigh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2009, 04:59 PM »
Well, I was trying to implement "don't make me think" approach for the users as much as possible, so hopefully you wont have to spend much time on learning but rather just "use it". :) I personally hate to learn how to use any "small" software. Once installed, I'd just like to do "less thinking and more doing" in order to get my job done.

I just love a programmer who thinks like you do!  It's not only the "small" software package writers that drive me crazy with their lack of intuitiveness, or standards.  WinFaxPro has a terrible, terrible interface, and it's taken me the better part of a day to send one fax.  Blak.

What I really, really love about your app is that I can see it clearly now  (hummmm) on my 1600x1200 res monitor.  No bug-eye glasses, or magnifying glasses needed.  I wish everyone who writes programs knew what you know about how to make screens/menus work on all resolutions.

Good job, AsmDev.... in case that didn't come across earlier.

Thanks,
Cheryl

NigelH

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2009, 11:02 PM »
Thanks AsmDev