ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Carrier Pigeon faster than commercial ISP

(1/3) > >>

Josh:

FRUSTRATED IT workers have shown that a pigeon can transfer data faster than a major internet service provider (ISP).

Workers at a South African information technology company this week proved it was faster for them to transmit data with a carrier pigeon than to send it using Telkom, the country's leading ISP.

Africa's largest economy has poor internet speed and connectivity – and high costs - because of a bandwidth shortage.

Local news agency SAPA reported the 11-month-old pigeon, Winston, took one hour and eight minutes to fly the 80 km from Unlimited IT's offices near Pietermaritzburg to the coastal city of Durban with a data card was strapped to its leg.
--- End quote ---

More at Source.

lanux128:
lol, the same could be said for the ISP that i subscribe to, except that i have no carrier pigeon to prove it.

f0dder:
In theory, you cold probably always have a carrier pigeon faster than your intarweb tube speed (unless you're on a university backbone) - but this example is pretty scary... sounds like a really messed up grid to me.

Kamel:
There was actually a study done long ago that proved a snail could go faster than the fastest internet backbone. I believe they attached 2 dual layer dvd's to the snail and made it travel 5 inches or something to that effect. Surely when compared to transferring to the other side of the world it wouldn't win *shrugs*. I tried to find a link but google is failing me, or I'm failing it

cranioscopical:
The story may be true, but who wants to carry a pigeon?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version