ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The unspoken truth about managing geeks

<< < (4/6) > >>

Perry Mowbray:
The company I'm with now runs everything IT through IT. The HR folk get to weed out the drunks, junkies, & ex McDonald's employees ... and then pass the (much smaller) stack to IT to decided if the skill sets match closely enough. I've sat in on several interviews & played 20 questions with candidates to gauge how much (if any) of there history has been (Um...) "embelished"... The end result is that we have very little (almost no) turn over staff wise.
-Stoic Joker (September 13, 2009, 08:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's a great outcome. Currently I'm in local government so everything has to be open, transparent, done in triplicate, then probably redone in quadruplicate, etc: but we get a similar result... most of our turnover comes from staff wanting better pay &/or conditions rather than being a poor choice :(

cranioscopical:
I have a half a mind to ask for my money back...
-Ehtyar (September 12, 2009, 11:04 PM)
--- End quote ---
You manage extremely well despite that handicap. Tell me, who has the other half?

skwire:
You manage extremely well despite that handicap. Tell me, who has the other half?
-cranioscopical (September 13, 2009, 09:01 AM)
--- End quote ---
Unfortunately, for Ehtyar, that particular bit of info was contained in said other half.

Ehtyar:
LOL, this thread is getting difficult to follow, what with having only half a brain and all...

Very interesting to read your replies guys, thanks. Stoic Joker, you weed out ex McDonald's employees? Why is that? Here in .au it's considered to be a positive thing.

Ehtyar.

40hz:
Still, what company would not have IT present for the hiring of a colleague?
-Ehtyar (September 13, 2009, 12:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm +1 with Stoic Joker's experience.

Around where I am, about 75% of the companies have HR personnel conduct the initial (and often only) interview with no IT staff present.

"There's no reason for it. It's just our policy." - Anon HR Manager

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version