topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Windows Messenger - Add shortcuts to Contacts in tray context menu.  (Read 4352 times)

Lefax32

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What I think would be handy is to have your contacts names (or at least some favorites) listed in the menu that opens when you right-click on the tray icon.

When you select the name of a contact it would open the message window for that contact.

This would save opening opening the main contacts window and then finding the contacts, making it easier to start a conversation with those you frequently talk to.

It would also reduce the clutter on the taskbar as you can completely close the chat windows, yet easily access them again when needed.

Well, I don't know if this is possible - modifying Windows Messenger, but it sure would be handy. :)

« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 01:50 AM by Lefax32 »

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This is what I use the Messenger Plus plugin for.  (be careful and don't install the sponsor if you decide to use this!)

I like the desktop contact buttons. I keep a row of my most frequent contacts across the top of my screen, with them only showing when they are online.

Nice bonus feature is how easy it is to send them a file by just dragging & dropping it on the button.

For contacts on the tray menu, this might be possible with a Messenger Plus script (yes, it makes Messenger scriptable, too), but I haven't really looked at the particulars of scripting for it.

Might be best to ask on their forum if you don't find anyone here capable of doing it for you.

Lefax32

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for the handy tips. I tried the Live add-in, but it seems to slow my messenger down. If I double click on a contact it won't open the chat window for about 10seconds. Tried installing twice now. But it only happens to me, so I will try it again, maybe when I reinstall windows.

Thanks for the link to the forum, I'll ask about it there and see what they say.