ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How To Type Symbols and more

<< < (2/6) > >>

SKesselman:
I guess this must be for 'english' keyboards only ~ the hotkeys are not working as promised, on my setup.
-Curt (September 10, 2009, 03:20 AM)
--- End quote ---
I have an english setup, but it's not working for me either  :( so far...

SKesselman:
I did a cheat sheet sort of page on my site awhile back, it's here if anyone can find it useful.
-Stoic Joker (September 14, 2009, 05:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

It doesn't work on gmail, do you have to change modes or something to be typing in ASCII format?
Or maybe do you have to be using something like Outlook or Word?
I get so many of these symbols when my bf sends me a Word document from France that Word tries to go French.
But nothing seems to work in gmail.

tranglos:
I have an english setup, but it's not working for me either  :( so far...
-SKesselman (September 14, 2009, 06:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

It does depend on system codepage - I'm getting Central European diacritic characters instead of Yen and Pound symbols.

But if you're not getting the right characters on an English system (Win-1252), are you typing the digits on the numeric keypad? THat's the only way to get the symbols. Note also that every code must have four digits. Shorter codes should be padded with zeros, so instead of Alt+12, you need to type Alt+0012.

Me, I'm using a bunch of text replacements defined in AHK. ;copy gives me ©,  ;tm gives me ™, ;reg gives me ®, ;eur gives me € etc. It's easier than remembering codes.

SKesselman:
I have an english setup, but it's not working for me either  :( so far...
-SKesselman (September 14, 2009, 06:43 PM)
--- End quote ---
But if you're not getting the right characters on an English system (Win-1252), are you typing the digits on the numeric keypad? THat's the only way to get the symbols.
-tranglos (September 14, 2009, 07:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
No. I guess that answers the, "but why would it be any different on a laptop" question.

Me, I'm using a bunch of text replacements defined in AHK. ;copy gives me ©,  ;tm gives me ™, ;reg gives me ®, ;eur gives me € etc. It's easier than remembering codes.-tranglos (September 14, 2009, 07:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

How nice, for you (jealous) (pout)  ;)

tranglos:
No. I guess that answers the, "but why would it be any different on a laptop" question.
-SKesselman (September 14, 2009, 07:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's one of the things I've never bothered to discover, but there just has to be a way to fake numeric keypad presses on laptops. Maybe with the Fn key (or whatever special key your laptop has)? But it's never going to be as convenient typing with the top-row digits. Or you could buy one of those attachable USB keypads, if you had other good uses for it.

Me, I'm using a bunch of text replacements defined in AHK. ;copy gives me ©,  ;tm gives me ™, ;reg gives me ®, ;eur gives me € etc. It's easier than remembering codes.-tranglos (September 14, 2009, 07:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

How nice, for you (jealous) (pout)  ;)
-SKesselman (September 14, 2009, 07:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Grab AutoHotkey from here, install it to start with Windows, then create an autohotkey.ahk script that contains the following:

:o:;eur::€
:o:;tm::™
:o:;reg::®
:o:;copy::©
:o:;deg::°

...and so on. AutoHotkey can do plenty of wonders, and this might just be a good excuse to jump in.

Btw, the semicolon in front of all my abbreviations is optional. I use it to make sure no regular typing will trigger these expansions, and semicolon is easy to press. You can use whatever prefix you want, or omit it entirely.

(I must say, I don't like AHK's scripting syntax, never did. It put me off installing it for a good while, and now every time I want to add something, I always have to look up the particulars in the help file. But the help file is great, with lots of examples, and the results are really worth the effort.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version