ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for a process monitor that may not exist ...

<< < (2/2)

barney:
Yep.  It works well, but still runs in real-time.  (Haven't tried running it from command line, though.) 

For disk I/O, it provides a lot of data, including right now reads/second & writes/second, as well as average reads/writes for last minute and disk response time, all by process.

For CPU, it provides current usage by process as well as average usage over the last 60 seconds, amongst other things.

It has similar reporting for traffic & memory.

However, barring possible command-line usage, it does not provide a log, and it does not provide aggregation, except for per/minute or last 60 seconds.  If I can redirect its output to a log, I suppose I could cobble something together to extract and aggregate data, but that doesn't make it very useful as a take-along trouble-shooting tool.

Oh, yeah ... perfmon & resmon are pretty high on the list of resource usage - averages ~20% CPU on my box, and has been know to go as high as 40%.  That's a bit larger Heisenberg bite than I'd like <chortle />.

I'll check, though, to see if command line usage might allow logging.

bgd77:
I think it may not be able to run from command line, probably it only works on XP.
But a useful think I discovered:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749337.aspx

"A Data Collector Set can be created and then recorded individually, grouped with other Data Collector Set and incorporated into logs, viewed in Performance Monitor, configured to generate alerts when thresholds are reached, or used by other non-Microsoft applications. It can be associated with rules of scheduling for data collection at specific times."

barney:
Yeah, bgd77,

I'd forgotten about the Data Collector Sets ... got excited when first I ran across 'em.  However, apart from being somewhat less than intuitive to set up [design], there's still the overhead involved with running perfmon/resmon ... a pretty big resource hit, and one that can lock/crash the system if you're running close to the edge on resources when the scheduled task loads.  Guess that's why I pushed it out of my mind ... lost too much work from that kind of crash.

Granted, the reporting is comprehensive, but the overhead just isn't worth the return in most cases - and portability pretty well falls by the wayside.

bgd77:
Ok, I don't have any more ideas.  :(

Does anybody know a tool for this task? I know that for Linux there are a few good ones...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version