topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 10:41 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How can I download or record streaming audio  (Read 19635 times)

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
How can I download or record streaming audio
« on: September 08, 2009, 08:24 AM »
I was listening to an audio stream and depending on the internet connection, it can be a bit staccato and listening to the entire message can take much longer than it really is.

I remembered that I was able to record somehow download the streaming audio, but I just cannot remember how I did it previously, perhaps through some Firefox extension ?

Does anyone know how I can do this ?

A freeware method is preferred.

I was quite sure that the last time I recorded, it was downloaded or recorded in mp3.

Thanks

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member
Re: How can I download or record streaming audio
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 08:29 AM »
Do you mind sharing the URL where this audio stream can be listened to? so I can try out few Firefox add-ons that I have installed.
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 06:08 PM »
patteo,

I've been having pretty good success with a Firefox add-on, DownloadHelper, for both music and video streams.  You can find it at https://addons.mozil...S/firefox/addon/3006.  It seems to be in active development, last update 2009-08-18, current version 4.6.2.

The extension is free, but there is a pay-for conversion mode to change format during the download ... have not tried that, as yet.  Been pulling down stuff from last.fm with another extension, Fire.fm, v1-2-5, from https://addons.mozil...S/firefox/addon/7684

Might be worth a try to see if it'll do what you wish.  Tried it because I was having the same problem, jerky sound during play.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 06:11 PM »
Quick edit.

Fire.fm just lets me play music from last.fm from a Firefox toolbar ... DownloadHelper is the piece that actually does the download.

patthecat

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 08:20 PM »
You can try Screamer Radio.
http://www.screamer-radio.com

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 12:02 AM »
Try Orbit Downloader !, It has a feature called Grab++, and then Refreash the Page, then Orbit will start downloading any Streaming Audio/Video running on ur Web Browser.
I h' downloaded 78 MB of Streaming flv Video , that's the highest size i h downloaded so far by Orbit.
ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 08:10 AM »
Notice that there are some negative reviews of Orbit, you can see a few posts in the forum about it.
Here's one of these threads.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 08:24 AM »
- besides, both IE7Pro and Orbit are for Internet Explorer,
not for Firefox which patteo is using ;-)

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 09:38 AM »
In Firefox sometimes streaming stuff is buffered in:

"C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\swjjmpsr.default\Cache"

The temp files all have 10 digit alpha-numeric filenames w/ no extension.  It's easy enough to see which file is growing as it is being buffered - you just hit the Refresh button or F5 and see which file size is increasing.  When it's done growing, rename the file something.mp3 and copy it elsewhere (or copy, then rename).

There are other places besides this folder that are used for temp files, depending on the browser and site.

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 12:29 PM »
You could try using VideoCacheView - you can not only use it for video but also for audio files.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 05:05 PM »
VideoCacherView is not very good with Firefox unless you know where to manually find the cache folder. At least it didn't work in my setup.

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 05:17 PM »
@Curt - I don't use FF, I use K-Meleon and VideoCacheView works fine with that. But it should also work with FF, particularly the latest version of VCV.

twinkler

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • technophobic technophile
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 07:01 PM »
- besides, both IE7Pro and Orbit are for Internet Explorer,
not for Firefox which patteo is using ;-)

I've been using Orbit with Firefox contentedly for years, with around a 95% success rate in downloading what I ask it to.

The latest version floats a GetIt button next to streaming media embedded on a web page.

For the record, it does have a couple annoying traits:

1. Every time it upgrades it recreates its start menu program group that I keep deleting.
2. The latest upgrade hijacked my 404 page without asking, and I had to go into the settings to undo it.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 09:42 AM »
Giveaway of ToDay - Wondershare Streaming Audio Recorder

http://www.giveawayo...ming-audio-recorder/

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 12:01 PM »
Giveaway of ToDay - Wondershare Streaming Audio Recorder
I saw this on the GOTD site earlier today and decided to give it a try.  I downloaded and started to install it.  WinPatrol PLUS kept informing me that the program wanted to install "run-once" files in the start menu.  Fine, said I, to the first one.  And the second.  And the third.  And the fourth.  I began to get antsy when there were more and more announcements from WinPatrol about run-once files.  Normally, I find there are usually just one or two.  My guess is that there were close to twenty--I didn't count, and after a while, I didn't permit their installation.  As soon as the installation was over, I used Revo to uninstall the program.  Perhaps there was no reason to be concerned, but I just didn't like an installation so different from any other I can recall (and as a software nut, I install programs all the time  :) ).

I guess I'll continue to use Audacity and Spider Player for my audio recording needs.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2009, 01:05 PM »
@ cyberdiva, I don't think you should worry ;-) Though the many "run-once" did not happen to me; I am pretty sure it (also) has to do with the drivers the program must install, in order to handle the audio. If you check your Sound > Play settings, you should notice a new driver, probably named WsAudio Device.
?
Could it be that it was the one and same "run once" file you were allowing over and over, but it was repeatedly rejected by WinPatrol or some other security related program? I would guess so.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2009, 05:40 PM »
@ cyberdiva, I don't think you should worry ;-) Though the many "run-once" did not happen to me; I am pretty sure it (also) has to do with the drivers the program must install, in order to handle the audio. If you check your Sound > Play settings, you should notice a new driver, probably named WsAudio Device.
You're probably right, Curt, but my motto on software freebies is "when in doubt, take it out."  So, as I said, I uninstalled it.  The fact that I didn't really need it may have helped.
Could it be that it was the one and same "run once" file you were allowing over and over, but it was repeatedly rejected by WinPatrol or some other security related program? I would guess so.
I don't think so.  WinPatrol won't reject a file unless I tell it to.  It always asks.  And the first four or five times (at least), I said yes.  I can't say for sure that it wasn't the same file each time, but I don't think so.  So I don't think WinPatrol would have rejected it until I started saying no.  And all the pop-up windows were WinPatrol's standard notification seeking permission for run-once files, so I don't think any other security program was involved. 

I suppose I could try installing it again and see whether the same thing happens, but I think I'll get a life instead.  ;D

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2009, 05:43 PM »
Try these two good programs : Radiosure and Screamer Radio.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2009, 01:24 PM »
Increasingly, download managers are adding the capability to capture streaming media. For example, Internet Download Manager now displays a "Download this video" in what they call their "download panel" (very similar to Orbit's GetIt button). Common audio and video file types are listed, with the ability to add whatever you choose. Though the fully featured IDM isn't free, I certainly have no regrets for purchasing it several years ago.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2011, 02:46 PM »
[i know this an old thread but there you go :p]

I'm totally new to this, but wanted to record a particular programme from this station (not the current one but I presume it will be using the same link) - anyone feel like seeing what works with it?
http://www.antenne-k...checks/streaming.php

I've tried the following
Downloaderhelper (FF addon) doesnt recognise anything

Stream Trasnsport plays it but doesnt show any info - I presume that means it's unable to help (?)

Screamer Radio,
RadioSure

dont offer it.
I tried adding it to RadioSure with that link, but it cannot connect.

Media Sniffer is still sniffing without a response...

I'm slow to install Orbit but would do if I knew it worked.
Or something else, but after 5 installs I thought I'd ask for help :)
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2011, 03:31 PM »
If only someone on donationcoder had written a tool to help discover the urls of hidden streaming media files..

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2011, 03:42 PM »
So here is what I did:

I started URL Snooper, set it to show all urls, and then opened the webpage you specified and started the music playing.

URL Snooper shows me that this is a shoutcast stream and gives me the direct url for it: http://stream.telvi.de:8000/antenne_kl
Screenshot - 8_27_2011 , 3_34_49 PM.png

You could probably plug this shoutcast url into any specialized shoutcast recording program (i think there are some) or winamp addon to record shoutcast to record the file.

That is probably easier than what i did, but here is what I did:

I don't have any of those, so I used the trusty Net Transport tool, which is good at this kind of thing and can do scheduled recording, and fed it the shoutcast url.

It records the stream fine, but the recorded file has no file extension so you won't know how to play it:
Screenshot - 8_27_2011 , 3_35_07 PM.png

But from the details in Net Transport, you can see that it is AAC format audio, so i renamed the file to a .aac extension and then i could play it in my media players (i tried the free kmplayer) and it worked fine:
Screenshot - 8_27_2011 , 3_44_10 PM.png

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2011, 04:15 PM »
hey mouser,
an embarrassed thanks a lot ;D

I used your link as the source for RadioSure and I able to record (mp3) with that :Thmbsup:

For the record, I just now tried Url Snooper and it was unable to automatically find network - in spite of the fact that it actually showed the network adapter in the general options page (and appeared to recognise the freshly installed WinPcap).
So I added the link to manually scan a url and I got a different link (which in the browser brought me to a non functioning version - link)
Tom

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2011, 09:26 PM »
@mouser:
Nice one @mouser! I had not fully realised the potential use (for me) of using URL Snooper until I saw that.
Thankyou for that.    :Thmbsup: