topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:52 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: alternative to filehamster?  (Read 102479 times)

mwang

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: alternative to filehamster?
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 04:45 AM »
What's a good alternative to filehamster?
it crashed on my windows server 2008 64 machine, and it was a tad too pushy to get the pro version anyway...

Back to urlwolf's original issues. I'm testing FileHamster 1.7.0.3573 after learning of its new tiered versioning feature (called Dynamic Revision History in FH lingo). So far it hasn't pushed anything yet, and I can turn off the huge banner at the top even with the evaluation version, something I couldn't do the last time I tried (more than a year ago).

They also have just announced new product tiers: Basic ($29), Advanced ($79, but currently at $49), and Enterprise ($99). Not sure how they compare to the old scheme. Is Basic = old "free", and Advanced = old "plus" (was $30 or so)? Seems quite a price hike if it is. (Haven't visited their web site for a long time, so I might have remembered the old price wrong. Sorry if that's the case.)

(edit: missed "how" before "they compare" in the above paragraph.)

It's stable, no crash so far after some 40+ hours on my Windows 7 x64 machine. Time will tell.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 06:54 AM by mwang »

mwang

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2009, 06:15 AM »
You could grab sqlite.exe / sqlite3.exe from here and have a look-see at what tables those files contain :)

It seems too formidable a tool for me, command line only and such, so I used Firefox's Sqlite Manager extension to open the two biggest databases instead. As far as I can tell, your guess (of SpiderOak storing checksums/hashes locally) is probably right. A screen shot of partial database structure is attached below, for your entertainment. It's only partial for that's the most I could get on one screen, but should be enough to give you some clues.
spideroak_sqlite.PNGalternative to filehamster?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2009, 06:37 AM »
They also have just announced new product tiers: Basic ($29), Advanced ($79, but currently at $49), and Enterprise ($99). Not sure they compare to the old scheme. Is Basic = old "free", and Advanced = old "plus" (was $30 or so)? Seems quite a price hike if it is. (Haven't visited their web site for a long time, so I might have remembered the old price wrong. Sorry if that's the case.)

they havent setup the upgrade path yet so it's not fully clear

'FileHamster Advanced' (currently $49) is "Comprised of the old FileHamster +plus features [i.e the old paid version] and nearly all of the plugins"
Some of the plugins cost (when you got them separate) - I bought one for $10 or so.
But with this repackaging (it seems to be simply a repackaging :() you dont have a choice - you are basically paying for all the plugins

The new basic is the same as the old +Plus (paid version) but without any of the plugins - no zipping of backup would be what I would mainly miss - to me it's asking a lot to pay (anything) for any backup programme that doesnt zip your backups... but maybe I've been spoiled?
Tom

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2009, 07:19 AM »
It's stable, no crash so far after some 40+ hours on my Windows 7 x64 machine. Time will tell.

If you really want to stress-test FileHamster, and if this is anywhere close to how you would be using FH, try copying a large number of (small) files to a folder that FH is monitoring. Try a thousand files at a time. (This is what I sometimes have to do when receiving projects from a particular client). If FH is configured to make initial revisions of new files, it will start copying frantically. Watch CPU and memory use when that happens.

I don't have a link ready, but I remember reading a post by one of FH authors (on their support forum) stating that FH creates a new thread for every file it copies. If this is true, it's a really poor design. Starting a thread is "expensive" in CPU terms, and starting hundreds of threads at the same time is an awful idea. This is what "thread pools" were invented for. If you also have the "bubbles" (notifications) enabled, you can see FH memory use reach a gigabyte or so, as it creates hundreds and hundreds of windows. This might still (barely) work if if were written in C++, but a .Net app doing that sort of thing can really bring down the system.

I bought the Plus version and used have it for almost two years, but have recently switched to AJC, which is less powerful but orders of magnitude leaner.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2009, 07:20 AM »
The new basic is the same as the old +Plus (paid version) but without any of the plugins - no zipping of backup would be what I would mainly miss - to me it's asking a lot to pay (anything) for any backup programme that doesnt zip your backups... but maybe I've been spoiled?

This is what it looks like so far. Here's a thread I started on the FH support forum.

The thread has also produced another real-time backup alternative, which has not been mentioned here yet, I think: http://www.beanland.net.au/AutoVer/ (not tested)

paulobrabo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • The Brazilian Bomber
    • View Profile
    • Brabo Illustration
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2009, 07:24 AM »
FileHamster Plus (the old "Advanced" version) was 29.50 - I know cause I have it. The new pricing matrix looks a bit steep to me as well.
English will never be my first language, it doesn't meter how hard I try.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2009, 10:44 AM »
I don't have a link ready, but I remember reading a post by one of FH authors (on their support forum) stating that FH creates a new thread for every file it copies. If this is true, it's a really poor design. Starting a thread is "expensive" in CPU terms, and starting hundreds of threads at the same time is an awful idea. This is what "thread pools" were invented for. If you also have the "bubbles" (notifications) enabled, you can see FH memory use reach a gigabyte or so, as it creates hundreds and hundreds of windows. This might still (barely) work if if were written in C++, but a .Net app doing that sort of thing can really bring down the system.
:o :o :o

If they do that, then it's a sure sign of an application you should never, ever touch. Threads are indeed relatively costly to create, and a 32-bit application can create around 2k at max (Mark Russinovich has a [urlhttp://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2009/07/08/3261309.aspx]blog entry[/url] for the curious). What you want is a producer/consumer queue (threadpool isn't the best of ideas, thrashing disk I/O and all).
- carpe noctem

Mogware Support

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2009, 11:33 AM »
Hey guys, I came over to respond to another thread that was just brought to our attention today and saw this one so I thought I would just chime in quickly to see if I can address some of the questions raised above.

The new versions of FileHamster is intended to help cut down on a lot of the expense and complications of selling plugins individually which was causing a lot more work and support on the Mogware end.  We are hoping this shift will also help improve the less technical user's purchasing process by having better defined choices…Sorry, I know a few others who really liked having the ability to purchase small addon plugins.

We kept the low-end tool (FileHamster Basic) at the same price point as the old +plus version.  The advanced tool (FileHamster Advanced) is also at a similar price point because it includes all of the power user's plugins that we used to charge for individually.

We do still have the free version…The 30 day trial version comes fully unlocked then falls back into the free version after the trial period ends.

We are in the process of setting up an upgrade path for our existing users that might go live today which actually takes into consideration any previously purchased plugins so it will be fair for everyone regardless what addons they previously purchased.

As for the above mentioned test case involving a few thousand files, I’m going to have testing check into that today…If memory serves me right, we did have issues in some older builds when FileHamster is inundated with file change events but I was under the impression they’ve all been cleared up.  If we do find anything, I can confidently say it will be addressed in the next drop.

Oh, and the thread issue…We do have a separate thread for copying the revisions; However, it is only one thread which buffers any subsequent events so they can be processed properly in the background.  We did have a bug with the zip plugin a long long time ago that might have done this horrendous thing but that was quickly resolved.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 11:35 AM by Mogware Support »

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2009, 12:47 PM »
FileHamster Plus (the old "Advanced" version) was 29.50 - I know cause I have it. The new pricing matrix looks a bit steep to me as well.

Before the restructuring there were 4 levels of FH:

- Lite (free)
  - +Plus ($30)
  - Dev bundle ($50)
  - Enterprise ($80) - I'm not sure if this was ever actually for sale, or if it was just 'pre-announced'.

+Plus included WatchTree filters & enhancements, network & removable drive support, and some other stuff over the free version.

The Dev bundle added the FTP, script and report plugins.  An blog entry (http://blog.mogware.net/?p=34) indicates that buying these plugins separately would bring the cost up to about $70 - the Dev Bundle's price was $50.

In the new pricing scheme, they have the following:

- Basic ($30) - correspnds to the previous +Plus version
  - Advanced ($50) - corresponds roughly to the previous Dev bundle
  - Enterprise ($100)

The trial version give the Basic version's features, then drops functionality to a free version (that presumably corresponds to the previous Lite feature set).

Advanced corresponds roughly to the old Developer Bundle (not the +Plus version), but also includes replication, diffing and zip support (I don't think those plugins were in the Dev Bundle).

So, except for the Enterprise version the pricing is pretty much the same with a couple caveats:

- for about a year or more there was a 50% off 'Anniversary' sale, so the +Plus version was $15 and the Dev Bundle was $25
  - the new 'Advanced' version is $50 for a 'Limited Time' - there was short period where the price was listed as $80, with the $50 price being an introductory special for the Advanced version.  The long-term pricing is no longer on the information page - so it may or may not come back at some point. Whether (and when) the price on the Advanced verison rises would be guess work on my part, though it seems that Mogware's intent is to raise the price at some point.

So, the bottom line is that the as of right now the pricing reflects the ending of the Anniversay Sale special more or less (though Enterprise did rise in price according to my notes). It's not particularly steep compared to the old pricing unless you're comparing it to the old Anniversary sale pricing (which may be natural because it was in effect for a long while).

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2009, 02:20 PM »
Advanced corresponds roughly to the old Developer Bundle (not the +Plus version), but also includes replication, diffing and zip support (I don't think those plugins were in the Dev Bundle).

when you put it that way the 'Advanced' pricing is quite good/fair - especially if you use any of those plugins. The zip plugin was always free IIRC

I still think the basic is a waste of time cause it doesnt even have the zip capability
Tom

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2009, 05:57 PM »
The upgrade pricing is available now (for FileHamster) - you enter  your e-mail address and are presented with upgrade pricing. I *think* I sprang for the developer version last time around and I am very impressed with the pricing that I am being offered for an upgrade. Even the Enterprise package is VERY reasonable. However, I'm curious to hear from anyone that has installed the new version? I uninstalled FileHamster some time ago in the course of troubleshooting an (as it turned out) unrelated issue and have never reinstalled it...

mwang

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2009, 07:04 PM »
If you really want to stress-test FileHamster, and if this is anywhere close to how you would be using FH, try copying a large number of (small) files to a folder that FH is monitoring.

OK, tried it twice just now, 1st with the bubbles turned off, then with bubbles on. I used a folder consisting of 1500+ html files, totaling 17+ MB. Process Explorer's System Info. window stayed open on the 2nd monitor so I could monitor the "treads" value, along with other things.

First try (no bubble): the copy went swiftly, as expected on a reasonably fast system between local HDs. CPU usage shot to 80+ percents but thread count remained steady. After dropping the folder in DOpus, I went back to Firefox, and didn't feel any slow down. Background music kept playing all this time without the slightest interruption. FileHamster window was unresponsive for a couple of min., but recovered soon enough.

Second try: the copy again went swiftly. CPU usage shot up again but still no obvious changes in thread count. And again there's no slow down in Firefox, Word, or any interruption in music playing. The bubbles started coming up, 5 at a time (per default limitation in FH).

It got quite annoying after a few around, so I tried to shut the bubbles off for otherwise there would be 300 rounds to go with 1500+ files. FH's tray icon was nevertheless non-responsive. After several tries (during two min. or so), the context menu finally came up, allowing me to went into "preferences" and suspended the bubbles.

There's now a FH icon on the taskbar. Pointing the mouse at it would pop up a thumbnail of FH's main window (aero peek). Clicking on the icon, however, would fail to bring up the main window. Well, the window did appear but it shrank right back in split second, as if I minimized it right away (I wouldn't be able to minimize a new window with my mouse that swiftly if I tried). Since FH was unresponsive for a couple of min. in the first test, I waited this time, but it remained so after 15 min. or so. I eventually right clicked the icon and closed the window. The tray icon was still there, and double clicking it brought up the main window without problem.

So, for the most part FH is OK. There's no excessive thread usage. And I have little use for the bubbles anyway.

A side note: I wrote Tobias Giesen, the developer of SFFS yesterday, asking for the "tiered versioning" feature. He replied that he'll consider it for v5, on which he should start working soon.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2009, 02:08 AM »
So, for the most part FH is OK. There's no excessive thread usage. And I have little use for the bubbles anyway.
/me breathes a sigh of relief
- carpe noctem

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2009, 03:31 AM »
The upgrade pricing is available now (for FileHamster) - you enter  your e-mail address and are presented with upgrade pricing. I *think* I sprang for the developer version last time around and I am very impressed with the pricing that I am being offered for an upgrade. Even the Enterprise package is VERY reasonable. However, I'm curious to hear from anyone that has installed the new version? I uninstalled FileHamster some time ago in the course of troubleshooting an (as it turned out) unrelated issue and have never reinstalled it...

Here's a thread in the FileHamster forum about upgrading Updates for Plus
I was happy enough too about price offered (I'm not sure does it depend on how many plugins you bought before) - bought it (but cant promise Mike when I'll get around to installing it!)

here's the link to check upgrade pricing
http://filehamster.c...e&action=upgrade

and another CPU test here
How to reproduce 80-99% cpu usage:

Almost clean virtual machine (XP SP3 updated last week), Default installation of new filehamster trial (downloaded today):
Options -> Suspend notification bubbles
Extra addons: none
Watch folder properties: All default except: MaxRevisions=30, ShowBubble=false

Now copy c:\Program Files\ in the watched folder...

Screenshots http://img529.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=filehamster1.png
-gizmoz

Tom

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2009, 07:28 AM »
I took the opportunity to "upgrade" to the Advanced version this morning. File Hamster is great for my non-geek girlfriend who has no desire to learn about version control, but needs to keep her important documents from getting messed up or lost.

@thehop

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2009, 08:02 PM »
Hi,
Maybe an (private) Freeware "alternative" (?) - not tested - but looks fine - and is -> ".NET free"! :)

PureSync - File synchronizer and backup tool  (by Christoph Güntner)
http://www.jumpingby...es.com/puresync.html
http://www.jumpingby...com/en/puresync.html
http://www.jumpingby...Synchronization.html
Automated backup and synchronization:
- A scheduler starts a synchronization every x hours, days, weeks, months
- Start a synchronization or backup automatically when e.g. a USB drive has been plugged in
- Synchronize or backup automatically when a file (that shall be backuped or synchronized) has been modified.

cheers

EDIT: Just found, a simpler One: also ".NET-free", Portable, Unicode, Real-Time-Sync, Volume Shadow Copy ...

FreeFileSync (by ZenJu)
http://sourceforge.n...rojects/freefilesync
http://sourceforge.n...s/freefilesync/files
Open-Source folder comparison and synchronization tool. It is optimized for
highest performance and usability without restricted or overloaded UI interfaces.
-> See Readme.txt for the list of key features!

Changelog v2.2
---------------
- New tool 'RealtimeSync': Watch directories for changes and start synchronization automatically

« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 11:19 PM by @thehop »

cecilyen

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2009, 03:17 PM »
FreeFileSync (by ZenJu)
http://sourceforge.n...rojects/freefilesync
http://sourceforge.n...s/freefilesync/files

FreeFileSync can't do revision control since it can't rename or backup the conflicted files.
But, it has great potential and the author is very nice.

By the way, I feel that DocShield is currently the only free alternative to FileHamster.

Mogware Support

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2009, 04:49 PM »
In reading everyone's posts, I just thought it would be worth reiterating that fact that FileHamster can still be used for free; if you don't mind the reminders that you are using an expired evaluation version.  Of course we want folks to eventually upgrade to the commercial version but if they don’t mind the ads then they can continue to use the evaluation version as long as they like…It truly is a personal choice.

Just on a side note, I also wanted to mention that of all the alternative mentioned above, none of them offer the immediate and automatic revision control that makes FileHamster so unique.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2009, 05:22 PM »
Just on a side note, I also wanted to mention that of all the alternative mentioned above, none of them offer the immediate and automatic revision control that makes FileHamster so unique.
-Mogware Support (October 06, 2009, 04:49 PM)

AutoVer
does, thanks for mentioning it.

Mogware Support

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2009, 05:46 PM »
AutoVer[/url] does, thanks for mentioning it.
Oops, you are correct; AutoVer does do that...However, I think I remember seeing somewhere that it isn't being actively supported or developed anymore.  In checking their forums, they haven't had any traffic in well over a year.

mwang

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2009, 01:17 PM »
Indeed AutoVer's development has stalled for quite a while. The author admits as much:

30-01-2009 AutoVer development had stopped for a while. I have started on the next version, more features, some fixes etc. No ETA yet.

And it wasn't as stable as FileHamster on my system when I tried it (1.2.2).

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2010, 07:23 PM »
Hi,
Maybe an (private) Freeware "alternative" (?) - not tested - but looks fine - and is -> ".NET free"! :)

PureSync - File synchronizer and backup tool  (by Christoph Güntner)
http://www.jumpingby...es.com/puresync.html
http://www.jumpingby...com/en/puresync.html
http://www.jumpingby...Synchronization.html
Automated backup and synchronization:
- A scheduler starts a synchronization every x hours, days, weeks, months
- Start a synchronization or backup automatically when e.g. a USB drive has been plugged in
- Synchronize or backup automatically when a file (that shall be backuped or synchronized) has been modified.

cheers

The installer does not work unfortunately

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2010, 03:16 AM »
I made a post about Using FileHamster to keep track of status of a job (via files).

I wasn't (and amn't) looking for an alternative, but for those who are, this post cmpm made there may be of interest:

A possible alternative to FileHamster-

http://www.exendo.org/

$40 though...
Tom

Clive

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2010, 03:31 PM »
I'm using this. May not appeal to power users, but is good enough for the average home user
Yadis! Backup

It's an easy-to-use backup-tool, which will save you a lot of troubles. It guards your personal data by making real-time copies (whenever you make changes to your documents) to almost any destination you choose.

When you use a backup-tool, it's often a hard job to learn to know all of the features. And when you've finally managed to understand every possibility of that tool, you realize it's not just that what you wanted.

That's why we've created Yadis! Backup. Take a look around and discover all of it's advantages...

It's FREE
It's small
It's easy to use
You can fully decide what to backup
It copies one on one your files to allmost any destination you want
You don't need Yadis! Backup to access the backed-up files
The marked folders are backed-up real-time (no scheduling needed!). You make a change? Yadis! Backup makes a backup
When your backup destination isn't available, Yadis! remembers the changes you have made. Whenever the location becomes available Yadis! starts backing up the changes.
Download today!
Don't hesitate any longer. Download Yadis! Backup right now, and enjoy the simplicity of making backup's!

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2010, 05:41 PM »
Regarding Exendo's History Explorer - it's been on BDJ twice in the past year for $6 and if I remember right it's been on sale on the Exendo site (http://www.exendo.se) for as little as $4 in the past year.  However, that's from when the list price was $20 and there's certainly no saying that past sales are indications of future deals.

But if you're somewhat interested though not chomping at the bit for History Explorer, it might pay to keep an eye on whether they offer a special at some point.