ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

sticking two routers together?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Josh:
I am still confused as to why you are connecting the two together, may I ask why exactly you dont just get rid of one of them? Two routers can end up complicating things later on down the road unless you absolutely need them

mouser:
just guessing but im thinking he probably needs the extra ports.  4 port routers are the standard on home routers, so unless you want to move to an 8 port model and throw out both, chaining two is the way to go.

f0dder:
nudone, have you tried upgrading the firmware? I had a few problems with my FWG-114p, but those were fixed by a firmware upgrade. Still no print-serve support for my brother USB laser printer, though :(

nudone:
the story goes like this...

the netgear is an adsl wifi router (with 4 ports), it worked fine for about 12 months (after a few teething problems when i first got it - random disconnections).

after the 12 months of perfect use the netgear decided to start disconnecting itself from my isp - it would stay connected for about 10 minutes, sometime even an hour - it would immediately reconnect, but it was annoying - messenger having to reconnect, large downloads upset, file sharing queues upset.

as i couldn't see any logical explanation for this behaviour (not that that really matters with computers) i 'decided' that the netgear router had become too ill for me to use any more. my isp settings hadn't changed and i'd not changed anything on my computer either, so i couldn't see any good reason why it shouldn't work.

on plugging my cheap no brand name non wifi adsl router into all the right connections i found that everything worked fine - no disconnections to my isp at all no matter how long i leave this old router switched on.

now the problem is, this cheapo router works fine but has no wifi. the netgear router that has a mind of its own has wifi but is too unreliable to use as the main device.

solutions: buy a new adsl wifi router or link the two routers i've got at the moment and get the wifi working again plus a few extra ports, well an extra 2 ports.

i could do with the extra ports but i've lived with 4 quite happily so more of them is just a bonus really. i could buy a new adsl wifi router but this netgear one didn't impress me that much - i've found that i only use the wireless once in a blue moon anyway.

i'd probably get one of the new mimo wifi routers in a few months when i can't hold out any longer - just so i can play around with it. hopefully someone can recommend a brand that works reliably.

idealy, i'll like a gigabit router that has adsl and wifi but i've yet to see one (any suggestions) so it looks like i would have to mix and match a few devices anyway to get what i want - i think it's a bit poor what's on offer at the moment. just a simple mimo wifi adsl gigabit router would be the right tool for the job.

as for the firmware update - just downloaded it and will do it in a few minutes but i'll be amazed if it works - i really don't have much faith in this netgear jobbo.

Carol Haynes:
The Linksys WAG54 Router has ADSL modem / WiFi and 4 ethernet ports and is good solution.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version