ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

sticking two routers together?

(1/4) > >>

nudone:
i was using a netgear adsl router up until a couple of months ago. i had to give up on it as it decided that it liked to disconnect itself from my isp every hour or so (it was working perfectly for about a year).

i'm almost ready to throw it in the bin as nothing i do to it makes it stay connected but before i do, i'm wondering...

can i connect this netgear router to my other cheapo adsl router?

the netgear one has wireless on it whereas the cheapo one doesn't - i'm hoping i can join the two via a cable (do i need to use a crossover?) and thereby get a bit of wireless action going again - even if it's just for an hour, until the netgear decides to start sulking and disconnect itself again.

i ask this as i'm hoping it's a standard thing to do (???), you know, connecting routers together (???). i'd experiment but the routers packaged away under loads of junk so i'd prefer not to fish it out if i'm on to a loser right from the start.

opinions, please...

mouser:
yes, many (most?) routers ive seen have a designated "uplink" port for this purpose, where you can use one of the ethernet ports to connect the router to the other to chain them together.  one of them just acts as a simple switch and let's the other do the main work i think.  never tried it myself.  no idea about crossover - im sure one of the sites on the links page will have some more info.

Carol Haynes:
You could also set them up as two networks and bridge them

nudone:
hmm, thanks mouser, thanks Carol.

never even thought of bridging them. i'll just stick them together and if it doesn't work first time then i'll start reading into it.

nudone:
well, that was painless. just plugged them together and it worked first time. wished i'd tried it sooner.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version