topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:07 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: FavesSoft programs page on Softpedia  (Read 6689 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FavesSoft programs page on Softpedia
« on: September 06, 2009, 05:47 PM »
SoftPedia.com decided to add all my Hotkey utilities in addition to the ones I submitted via PAD files.  If you prefer to download from a site that virus scans and then tries the programs, you might want to download my stuff from them the first time around.  Here's the link for FavesSoft programs on SoftPedia:

http://www.softpedia...esSoft-LLC-8612.html

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: FavesSoft programs page on Softpedia
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 08:11 PM »
cool! congrats and good work -- i encourage all dc coders to make pad files and submit their software to the software listing sites -- the world deserves to know about your creations.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 05:17 PM »
Thanks mouser.   :Thmbsup:

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 10:42 PM »
good work, MilesAhead. :up:

btw, an OT question: what's a good tool to create pad files?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 04:43 PM »
lanux, I've been using PadGen. It has a few quirks but does the job pretty well.  I think the most frustrating part though is submitting to sites. They all seem to organize the software differently.  Sometimes it seems like I spend 5 minutes looking through one giant drop-down list trying to find the most appropriate category. Then when I check back 2 months later, there's been 3 downloads.  Like, a waste of time.

At least on SoftPedia they stick a notice for new releases on the front page of the Windows stuff right under Windows News.  Otherwise if you're in an oddball category it could be buried.  They are pretty good about updates too. The traffic seems pretty good.  I don't redirect my downloads from my page there to bump up the count, but even so, my better utilities seem to get good numbers.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 04:48 PM by MilesAhead »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 10:49 PM »
thanks MilesAhead & mouser. seems like i have a lot of catching up to do when it comes to pad files. :)

adi_barb

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 06:50 PM »
The best way is to manually create and edit your pad file for your software using an existing one, because you will know how and what to modify it when some websites won't accept the format a generator will export.
All you need is notepad or any other simple text editors and it will take few minutes to edit everything.

If you're still interested in this subject, I can send you one of my examples anytime.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 10:20 PM »
The best way is to manually create and edit your pad file for your software using an existing one, because you will know how and what to modify it when some websites won't accept the format a generator will export.
All you need is notepad or any other simple text editors and it will take few minutes to edit everything.

If you're still interested in this subject, I can send you one of my examples anytime.

Thanks for your reply. Now I pretty much just see to it that Softpedia has updates and the rest of the sites seem to pick up on them.  Of course if I could sell this stuff I'd be more aggressive.  But I'm just having fun coming up with new apps now and then. :)

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 01:59 PM »
Congrats, MilesAhead. :up:

I'm sure you spend lots of time developing your software so it's good to see FavesSoft get some exposure.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 05:43 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.  It's nice to come up with a utility now and then that other people like to use.  :)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 08:51 AM »
Softpedia must be on some kind of a roll - They grabbed a bunch of my stuff too.

Must say it was nice of them to send the Emails saying what was added (and where) to their library so we know what is/was going on (many sites in the past haven't done that). Unfortunately none of my stuff is PAD filed because (most of it is crap) I never got around to it...(oops).

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 11:57 AM »
Yeah, the PAD file thing, it's like once you make one then you feel like you have to maintain it for some reason.  I've always had a good rapport with Softpedia. I like how they don't try to hit me up for $$$ to list my stuff.  I can't afford to pay to give stuff away. :)