topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 12:31 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Baby Cody bids farewell to Yorkshire and a final day out to remember ...  (Read 13509 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The sad day has arrived and Baby Cody has flown away to visit Ampa in Hemel Hempstead. I am sure he will have a great time.

If anyone else would like a visit in the UK don't forget to sign up on the UK thread here otherwise he will be flying off to a new and exciting country after Ampa (you can start lobbying now if you like!).

I had all sorts of plans for Baby Cody's visit but the weather has not been kind (and BC seems to be a fair weather bird) so caving and climbing haven't happened. Finally we had a nice day - but the light wasn't especially good for photos (humid and warm meant it was misty and the sky was a uniform white). We did go for a walk yesterday straight out from my house so you can see a little of where he has been and what he has been up to:

The following pictures were all take within 1 mile of my house ...

Cody poses on a footpath sign pointing back to the village where he has been staying:

carperby_sign.jpg

He was keen to try his flying again and landed in a hawthorn tree (not a good idea as it is very prickly - but he didn't seem to notice):

cody_in_tree.jpg

As we walked away from Carperby the view opened up and Cody was surprised to see a castle on the hillside. Bolton Castle (in the small village of Castle Bolton) is a medieval castle which still has many features intact (in fact a friend had her wedding there a few years back). The castle's most famous resident was Mary Queen of Scots who was imprisoned there for a time (click on the second picture to see it full size).

cody_castle_bolton_sign.jpg

castle_bolton.jpgBaby Cody bids farewell to Yorkshire and a final day out to remember ...

Wending our way downhill, towards the River Ure, Cody discovered some of the Yorkshire Dales' famous dry stone walls (he also picked me some wild flowers - very gallant of him):

on_wall.jpg

cody_flowers.jpg

Lower in the valley we entered some woodland full of Rowan Trees all covered in berries. Cody was ecstatic and tried to eat the lot ...

berries.jpg

Having dragged Cody away from his feast, we walked through the woods to a surprise view of Wensleydale. The large hill in this panorama is Penhill. Click on the thumbnail to see the full panorama [Edit: unfortunately the picture is to wide to fit on screen so you will need to scroll from left to right to see it all and the scroll bar is out of view right at the bottom of the post so I have repeated the full panorama at the end of the post to make it easier to see.]

Panorama.jpgBaby Cody bids farewell to Yorkshire and a final day out to remember ...

Cody was particularly impressed by all the new friends he met on the walk (the ponies were tired because it was a very hot day, the sheep is the local Wensleydale breed):

pony.jpg

sheep.jpg

warm_day.jpg

Finally Cody helped me to edit the photos for this page - here is a photo as we prepared to say goodbye:

me_cody.jpg

Panorama:

Panorama.jpgBaby Cody bids farewell to Yorkshire and a final day out to remember ...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 09:50 AM by Carol Haynes »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Carol you can't imagine how jealous I am of you!
You live in such a beautiful place!

Thanks a lot for the photos, I'm sure baby cody had loads of fun with you!

I just noticed he has a new bow-tie. He stole it from Nudone, right?

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Probably did yes - I also only noticed when I opened the tissue paper in the box that he has a dollar coin!

PS. I forgot to mention that Hogan is a little bereft now that his new friend has left - here they are saying goodbye ...

hogan.jpg

Sob, sob
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 07:01 AM by Carol Haynes »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
carol you really spoiled little BC.. i wouldn't be surprised if he resisted getting in the box!

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
what a nice little adventure.

(the ribbon was a gift from mouser i believe - BC was wearing it when he arrived at my place after leaving mouser.)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
i don't think he had the ribbon when he went into the box -- maybe he charmed or seduced a postal inspector.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Poor BC, all these farewells to the members after so much fun must be a bit saddening.
Good thing he has this board to remember his travels ;)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Good fun!

The Rowan wasn't what I had in mind when I suggested that you bury the little fellow.

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This is a very sweet story, I love it.  :-*