ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

Suggestions for development of cross-platform Linux Outliner Note software

<< < (3/5) > >>

urlwolf:
From my own experience I would advise you to start thinking about, right from the start, ways in which you can provide a plugin api interface, and moving as much funcitonality into the plugin system and out of the core of the application as you can.
-mouser (September 12, 2009, 11:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Totally agree here. One thing oneNote has over others is plugins (called powertoys). They are cropping all the time.

Very good point! Get this plugin functionality right, and you are on your way to an addictive application :)

Paul Keith:
urlwolf, not trying to offend but what are the notable powertoys in OneNote so far? (Last I checked there weren't anything major compared to a major Firefox extension)

I'm not saying a plugin functionality is not essential but even apps like DonationCoder's don't get as much plugins (and would further get less if not for the community) and don't most FOSS developers have the default capability for supporting plugins because they are open-source? (Not saying that the code don't need to be improved upon but I can't quite see what plugin features are necessary for an outliner that isn't already implemented within the program.)

On the flip side, correct me if I'm wrong but in order to mimic Surfulator's clipping capabilities, doesn't that immediately imply that the program will support plugins already because these clipping capabilities require browser extensions?

Again, not trying to offend. Just wondering what idea you have in mind that might require a plug-in.

Carrotnote:
Hello
Thank you for all the interesting suggestions and ideas!  We really appreciate that!
Soon we will be looking for Linux coders to help with certain parts of development and we encourage any interested people to contact us!

It promises to be a fascinating project!

urlwolf:
on onenote plugins: there are many interesting ones: search and replace, doing math operations on tables, concatenating pages together and adding a TOC, posting to a blog, etc. Of course, not to the level of FF addons (given the difference in user bases) but useful nonetheless.

Carrotnote: so you started coding already? Did you make a commitment to lang/libraries? If so, which ones you picked?

Thanks

Paul Keith:
Thanks urlwolf.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version