ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

Suggestions for development of cross-platform Linux Outliner Note software

(1/5) > >>

Carrotnote:
Hi
We are a group of developers interested in producing feature-rich cross-platform, portable note-taking application.

Out initial idea is that it would include many of the features of applications like MyBase, Surfulator but perhaps allow the flexible positioning of notes on a page like in BasketNotes or OneNote.

In addition to having standard note-taking functions (assigning notes in a tree-like structure) that is being able to capture entire or partial selections of web pages, and have the ability to add notes about the webclippings. 

We envisage that the base version of the software will be open-source and free.  A paid pro version will help pay for the high cost of developing the program. (Unless anyone can come up with a great idea to help us make money with it and make it completely open-source :)

Suggestions on the following would be very much appreciated:

- recommendations for solid, flexible architecture that would be 'future-proof' (as far as possible)
- features you would like to see
- features you hope that we will AVOID :)
- practical considerations regarding building a robust application.

Thanks for any and all advice!

fenixproductions:
2Carrotnote

For most of the answers I recommend to take a look on this "monster":
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=2362.0

Or Linux fork ;)
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=18837.0

mouser:
Welcome Carrotnote! Sounds like a great project -- can't wait to hear how it progresses.

urlwolf:
Welcome Carrotnote! And thanks for taking the challenge!
I've written a list of the features I like/don't like in the linux fork thread that fenix posted (page 1).
I'd also recommend installing onenote (comes with office 2007, there's a very generous trial too) and paying careful attention to features there. MS got this one right. It's already more used than powerpoint, and it even has fan sites. IMNSHO, a dev for a notetaking app is hamstringing himself if he ignores an app that seems to benefit from several years of MS research, and has a raving community. Most of the features are not difficult to implement at all (all but the OCR, I'd say).

I hope you fill the great void on multiplatform notetaking, and benefit from this huge opportunity.

Carrotnote:
Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions.

Our idea is to make the application as open source as possible, in order to attract the trust and confidence of users. 

Do you believe there is a "huge opportunity"?

Our technical team (which I am not part of :) will carefully examine OneNote.  I used it intensively several years ago and liked it very much prior to my switch to Linux. 

I am very impressed with InfoQube as well. (despite finding it quite difficult to learn)  Do you think it would be better to go with:

- a more simple OneNote style application (I assume the way it stores data makes it accessible to the user is simpler than the InfoQube/ ECCO model,

- an Surfulator/ InfoQube/ ECCO  model in which information items are database objects and can be organized both on a hierarchical tree and independently through tags. Users have a lot of flexibility regarding structuring their information.

Again, all suggestions will be appreciated.  We don't really have a very strong commercial/ profit motive in making this software- we want to make a full featured open-source note-taker for Linux (as our main goal but also cross-platform)  just don't want to go broke doing it. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version