ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Merge .txt files but with the copy/paste method

<< < (4/5) > >>

MilesAhead:
There are 32 bit ports of Linux programs like sed and awk that are stand-alone exe. Or if you are into regular expressions you can use either Perl or Ruby. There has to be programs for Windows that remove the tabs and fill with the calculated number of spaces.  Try Softpedia.com and the other big freeware/shareware download sites.  Also try Sourceforge.net for the same.  Include "win32" in the search on Sourceforge.  That should narrow the results to mostly Windows programs.

AndyM:
i want to make them one,to count how many 1.000 there are (quantity) though in some files there are 2,3,5 etc.In a few words i want to make an assortment.-alogoc (September 05, 2009, 12:29 PM)
--- End quote ---
The idea was to import them in excel and simply make a sum...
--- End quote ---
Be more specific.  What exact info would you want from the three .txt files?  Do you need to see one concatenated file with all the columns adjusted and lined up?  Or do you want that simply to get some totals or other stats, and if so is it just a few things and is it a one-time chore?

And it's 600 files...my computer is going to crash if i open them all.And then i'll have to make them all in one excel...damn i'm in such a mess

--- End quote ---
If you really have to process each file separately, 600 is worth spending the time to automate the process (personally at this point I'd be asking myself how badly I really needed this info).  

You could use VBA code in Excel to process each line of each file.  How complicated this gets depends on what you have to start with, and what you want to end up with.  

But

Darwin:
I might be out in left field here, but metapad has some very useful search and replace features. It's also FOSS  :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead:
btw for unix utility ports you can try these.  They worked for me on XP SP2

http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/

MilesAhead:
I might be out in left field here, but metapad has some very useful search and replace features. It's also FOSS  :Thmbsup:

-Darwin (September 06, 2009, 03:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Plus there are some editors like the one used in Win32 edition of Python that will automatically convert tabs to the calculated number of spaces.. I'm not familiar with MetaPad but for bulk a stream editor like sed or tr might be simpler.. or even awk.  The tab=>spaces is likely a one-liner you can find online on a forum somewhere.

edit: a casual google found a few but most were for reformatting/indenting source code and make some assumptions(like that the file has some C or scripting language text.)  There must be some for plain text if you look hard enough.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version