ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is your preferred font?

<< < (15/30) > >>

MilesAhead:
I like Tahoma for subtitles. It's funny though, I downloaded 16 True Type Fonts that looked interesting enough to try. Out of those probably only 3 are readable enough for every day use in text editors.  Maybe 4.

@Eóin I did notice that the lower case 'e' didn't seem to have the crossbar.  It's such a nice font though. I have to chalk it up to Persian rug making philosophy. It has to be a thing of only God can make something perfect.  I figure the (is there a specific name for font creator people?) author of the font had to do it deliberately for that reason. In English how could you not notice what an 'e' looked like? It's the most common letter. :)

Curt:
I figure the (is there a specific name for font creator people?) author of the font ..-MilesAhead (May 11, 2010, 10:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

-mostly, a designer.
MyFonts also like to call them "lettering artists and illustrators".

http://www.myfonts.com/newsletters/rs/201005.html

daddydave:
Eóin: how on earth can you live with a variable width font for coding? BLASPHEMER! Hell, for coding, anything else than Dina is blasphemy in my eyes.
-f0dder (September 05, 2009, 03:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Funny you should say that. I always thought so, but now I wonder if that's just a habit learned from the days of 80 column screens. And recently, messing around with an Autoit3 script in SCite, I was struck by how much easier the proportional fonts are to read than the monospaced ones are at similar sizes (trying both Consolas and Dina). (I wear bifocals if that matters.) Although the spaces are too narrow for my preferred 4 space indent. I should probably continue this experiment with other text editors.

Eóin:
I often prefer to uses tabs rather than spaces for indenting, previously I had set VS to use a tab width equivalent to 10 spaces specifically because the space width in MS Reference Sans was so small.

However recently I've been toying with F# which requires 4 space indentation. So I fired up a font editor and changed the space width in MS Ref. Sans to match the width of a number. So now the font is, in my opinion, also perfect for '4 space' indentation.

40hz:
F# which requires 4 space indentation
-Eóin (May 12, 2010, 04:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

There's a language that has a specific number of spaces as a requirement for indentation? Lordy! That's almost like going back to RPG-II.

I figure the (is there a specific name for font creator people?) author of the font ..-MilesAhead (May 11, 2010, 10:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

-mostly, a designer.
MyFonts also like to call them "lettering artists and illustrators".

http://www.myfonts.com/newsletters/rs/201005.html
-Curt (May 12, 2010, 09:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 with Curt.  :Thmbsup:

AFAIK, the closest thing to an official designation is "type designer" or "typeface designer."

At least that's what they're called in university level graphic design courses and most books on type design.

You'll may also see them (incorrectly) called typographers. It's a common error.

Like Mark Twain said: The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter—it’s the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

:)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version