ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is your preferred font?

<< < (8/30) > >>

Deozaan:
For coding: Dina.

For most other things: Whatever the default font is.

Though when I do select a specific font for things, I tend to go with Trebuchet.

f0dder:
40hz: ...and prefer not to do the gif/png thing unless it's bigtime necessary.

For coding: Dina.-Deozaan (September 11, 2009, 04:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
Deozaan has gained +1 love.

Again: print != online. Respect the user's choice. Heck, even for print, restrict yourself. At school we have a couple of java books that... oh, how can I put this mildly? are so FSCKING JAVA!!!. Fancy typefaces, stupid clip-art, multi-cultural "wow this program rocks" (etc) that you end up having a hard time taking the course seriously. Pick two or (if you're really frisky three fonts and stick to that, please.

I'll take GangOfFour over HeadFirstDesignPatterns any day... based on style (of course based on content there would be no arguing :) :) :) )

Kamel:
To my surprise, verdana was actually listed. This is my favorite.

I am just surprised since it is a microsoft font.

40hz:
40hz: ...and prefer not to do the gif/png thing unless it's bigtime necessary.
-f0dder (September 11, 2009, 09:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

My point exactly, hence my saying: "If you really need to use an oddball font for a piece of text on a web page..." with due emphasis on the word really. ;D

Overall rules and design guidelines are all well and good. But it also helps to remember that not all websites are technical websites - or solely interested in conveying raw information. Some are designed and intended to be experienced.

For websites such as those I feel it should really be the designer's call as to how to do it; and for the viewers to decide if it worked :up: - or didn't :down:.

chrisa52:
For spreadsheet work and also for general desktop (for WinXP), I really love Ayita, from Ascender.

http://www.ascenderfonts.com/store/search.aspx?q=ayita

Their Droid fonts, Droid Sans, Droid Serif, Droid Sans Mono, are also available in the Google Android development kit (free) and are great subs for any of the web browsing fonts.

You can also purchase commercial versions.

http://www.ascenderfonts.com/store/search.aspx?q=droid

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version