ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is your preferred font?

<< < (7/30) > >>

TPReal:
My favourite monospaced font is definitely Monaco. It's a TrueType font, works well both with and without ClearType, and is great for writing code because there's no way to mistake I,l and 1, as well as 0 and O.

As for the rest, I use the default fonts :)

sjokotof:
None for print as I don't print. If I would, I can imagine buying a nice legible serif like Bembo or Plantin.

For screen I use Segoe UI, primarily for things like file listings, menus and the like. Anything I used to use Tahoma for in the past really.

Consolas is nice for coding (after years of switching from one font to another: Sheldon, Monaco, Lucida console, Proggy variants, Speedy, Triskweline, Andale mono, etc, etc. No Couriers for me, thank you).

Calibri for pretty much everything else.

After some finetuning using the ClearType Tuner I've become a ClearType convert.

BTW This (lengthy) Cleartype Team 2005 video from the past might still be interesting.
There's an explanation from appx 12:19 about Couriers typewriter origins. Also some info on hinting and from 32:18 on the effect the ClearType technology can have.

zridling:
For screen I use Segoe UI, primarily for things like file listings, menus and the like. Anything I used to use Tahoma for in the past really. Consolas is nice for coding (after years of switching from one font to another: Sheldon, Monaco, Lucida console, Proggy variants, Speedy, Triskweline, Andale mono, etc, etc. No Couriers for me, thank you). Calibri for pretty much everything else. After some finetuning using the ClearType Tuner I've become a ClearType convert.
-sjokotof (September 07, 2009, 05:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think Microsoft isn't given enough credit for its font development and readability via ClearType. Fontographers cost many millions of Euros and very few companies can afford this kind of technology.

Curt:
For a couple of years I have preferred Franklin Gothic medium, for writing in PageFour
- but I have not yet printed it, so I don't really know what it will look like on paper!

Everything else just follows whatever may be the default setting.

40hz:
The next step is to embed fonts in browser code. I think between Java and HTML5, this can be done. I've no idea how, though!-zridling (September 07, 2009, 05:21 AM)
--- End quote ---
Please, don't.

Rely on the fonts you know will exist on normal systems, and keep fancy fonts for publishing.
-f0dder (September 07, 2009, 10:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 with f0dder on that.

Take a tip from the 'good old days' before CSS and the advent of all these nifty new HTML features and Think GIF.

If you really need to use an oddball font for a piece of text on a web page, compose it in a real composition tool that allows you to adjust tracking and kerning; get everything just right; export the result as a simple GIF - and use that instead. People with slow links and/or not a lot of RAM will thank you for it.

Here's an exceptionally fine example of how good a professionally done piece of text can look while only taking up 11K:

If you have an extensive amount of text that needs to be set in a font not designed for the screen, do it up as a PDF and put a link to it on your page. It will load faster and look a whole lot nicer.

Just my 2ยข
8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version