ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is your preferred font?

<< < (2/30) > >>

tranglos:
Verdana and some Tahoma for the UI.

Verdana for reading text in the Firefox.

Courier New 12pt for email and for any text I'm typing myself. I've tried a number of monospaced replacements of Courier, but none feels as good. The free Courier substitutes are often a little narrower (denser), hence less legible. If I can't type in Courier New for whatever reason, I settle for Arial.

Courier New for printouts as well, but I only fire up the printer a dozen times a year or so.

(Not too original, I suppose, except perhaps for my fondness for monospaced text)

40hz:
- For general screen use: Verdana or Tahoma.
Bland and functional. Nothing much to like or dislike about either. Both fonts are easy to read.

- For technical screen use: Dina
Finally a san serif font where it's easy to tell the difference between the number one and the lower case L!

- For print (everyday): Day Roman by Apostrophic Labs
www.fontspace.com/apostrophic-lab/day-roman

A very clear, beautifully designed serif. And the price is right too. It's free!

- For print (publication): the Minion font family from Linotype :-* :-* :-*
www.linotype.com/1236/minion-family.html

Learned about this font back in the days when I was very heavily involved in graphic design and publishing. Minion is easily one of the most complete, elegant, and readable designs ever created. Not cheap by any stretch. Especially if you opt for the entire family of 93 fonts ($275). But IMHO, Minion is still worth every penny. Individual fonts within the family are available at a very reasonable $26 each.

Veign:
Consolas - This is my preferred font for development IDE's

johnk:
Screen: Verdana, Tahoma, Calibri.

Print: Constantia mainly (very nice). Actually I think most of the fonts MS introduced in their Office 2007 pack are good, solid fonts. But Constantia is the gem.

Monospace: Courier New is superb on screen, but horrible in print -- thin and spindly. Decent Courier print fonts are harder to find. You will find that this is discussed in exhaustive detail on screenwriting forums, as scripts are still always printed in 12pt Courier. I have a few different Courier versions on my system to use for monospace printing. For anyone who is interested, there's an "all you ever wanted to know" essay on Courier fonts for printing (including a comparison of different fonts) here.

These days, whenever I start using a new text editor, I make sure it has an option to use different fonts for screen and print.

Another monospace font worth mentioning is Inconsolata, an interesting print font for programmers. Consolas is good on screen for code.

EDIT: Forgot to mention another wonderfully elegant print font I use regularly: Adobe's Garamond Premier Pro. Beautiful, and excellent "readability".

I seem to remember getting this as a freebie when I bought Photoshop. It's one of the best freebies I've ever received. I received the entire set, which I see has a retail price of $200...

zridling:
- For print (everyday): Day Roman by Apostrophic Labs

- For print (publication): the Minion font family from Linotype
www.linotype.com/1236/minion-family.html-40hz (September 04, 2009, 09:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Wow, nice tastes. Never heard of either. Love how they designed the numbers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version