ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is your preferred font?

<< < (26/30) > >>

mwb1100:
mwb1100; your's are fine.
But what font do you have for default in that browser?
-Curt (May 29, 2010, 12:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

My screenshot was from FireFox 3.6.3.  The Default font is "Times New Roman", size 16.  In the 'Advanced' font dialog, the following options are set:

- Proportional: Serif
    - Serif:        Times New Roman
    - Sans-serif:   Arial
    - Monospace:    Courier New

And "Allow pages to choose their own fonts, instead of my selections above" is checked.

I think that the page is choosing its own font - browsers typically use the font specified by the web page, unless that font isn't installed on the system. Actually, web pages can specify a set of acceptable fonts or font-families, and the browser will choose the first match (if possible).  Only if no match is found will it end up using the default.

My CSS skills are pretty sketchy, but from what I can tell, it looks like that webpage is specifying that one of the following fonts be used (in order of preference):

- Helvetica, Arial, "Liberation Sans", "Bitstream Vera Sans", sans-serif

My Vista system doesn't have a "Helvetica" font, but all Windows systems do (or should) have "Arial". Maybe your system has a font named "Helvetica" installed that doesn't work as well as Arial for this page?

Curt:
-my font settings are just like yours. And Yes, I have a family named Helvetica. But the family is so big that the father was named Helvetica-Normal, just to stand out! Though, whether it really is normal, I am not qualified to tell:

click for large:

click for large:

Great, now I "must" also purchase myself a font manager!  :-\

tomos:
My Vista system doesn't have a "Helvetica" font, but all Windows systems do (or should) have "Arial". Maybe your system has a font named "Helvetica" installed that doesn't work as well as Arial for this page?
-mwb1100 (May 30, 2010, 12:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have seen (and not fully understood) in some programme that listed fonts in a file I created, that Arials 'Postscript name' is actually Helvetica - this was with the Arial font that came with XP (SP2) which is some sort of mongrel TrueType/OpenType

Curt,
you dont need to buy a font manager (unless you have big plans!) there's a bunch of free ones out there - Veign has a free/donationware one - Cfontpro
http://www.cfontpro.com/

Curt:
I am impressed how much Veign has done to Cfont Pro since the last time I tried it some years ago. I will certainly test it for some time. Thanks, Tom!

tomos:
I am impressed how much Veign has done to Cfont Pro since the last time I tried it some years ago. I will certainly test it for some time. Thanks, Tom!
-Curt (May 30, 2010, 02:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

there's probably a bunch of other free ones too - I have a paid one (MainType) - but that cause I won it here on dc :D

I'm sure there's a thread here on the subject too ... Font managers reviews and opinions

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version