ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Skrommel's Software

Compression: BigByte

<< < (2/2)

alecjw:
Yay! Thats my first idea which hadn't been thought of 10 years before i thought of it. :)

skrommel:
 :) I've pretty much given up on BigByte after I tried a program that could make a TerraByte file in seconds! I think it just made an entry in the FAT. But I can't remember where I found it...

Adding random content is impossible the way BigByte operates. It makes a 1 byte file and makes double sized copies until the desired size is reached, merges the needed copies and removes the rest.

Skrommel

db90h:
With all 1's this is not really possible.  With a string of random characters it would be a more accurate measurement of real world performance.
-LuckMan212 (January 01, 2006, 09:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, neither would represent real-world performance. Real-world benchmarking would require compilation of various common file formats. Compression targeted towards a specific file format(s) does much better than an algorithm not targeted for them. Therefore, if you were to do tests on pseudo-random or arbitrary data, the best performing compression algorithm would not necessarily be the best performing algorithm on real-world data sets.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version