ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > What's the Best?

Video conversion: What's the best (freeware or shareware)?

<< < (9/11) > >>

Bamse:
Here is another trick. Links to 3rd party crap inside of programs menu. Anvir Taskmanager Tools menu

Registry scan, Performance scan, Drivers update send you off to UniBlue website. There is more to Anvir than this but shows you are not necessarily "safe" by trusting ability to handle tickboxes. Matter of definition what is a threat/adware/malware of course.

sajman99:
Bamse, thanks for the info on this installation trickery. Every time I turn around there's more good freeware sinking to this level. I'm not naive and I understand why this stuff is done ($$), but still it bothers me. Increasingly, freeware has its hidden costs.

IainB, I hope you didn't interpret my blabbering as indicating you did something wrong. Clearly, you are the innocent party here and I also would be extremely aggravated if I got any of this crapware on my computer. I agree with you 100% that the relevant issues are integrity and honesty-- so I cannot and will not be recommending FormatFactory any longer. Your posting here will likely save many folks from suffering the same misfortune.

Bamse:
Well you can fight back by warning and avoid recommending but you could also fight the battle of making 3rd party injections better or more in sync with the "average" user. I have seen another way from Fotomix Now Adware/Freeware because crackers won or something 8) They put "Ads by Google" inside of program, like a sidebar. Not too intrusive and I think more honest. Ads are located inside program, not in browser or desktop/startmenu. That alone is a big difference. Uninstall program and all traces are gone. All about $$$ anyway and we all know Google so nothing new majority has not accepted already. As so many Site Admins appears to do they can always say "Sue Google" if you click and get redirected to something dubious.

Fun program for those with no graphics skills btw.

JavaJones:
I'm still curious how much money authors get from this. Is it really worth it?

- Oshyan

IainB:
@Bamse:
Actually there is nothing strange going on IainB.
--- End quote ---

That depends on your definition of "strange". From my perspective, it is just shonky - classic sharp practice. It's a form of spamming-by-freeware. Where you see this sort of practice, all parties involved are tarred with the same brush. If you accept it, then you condone it by default, which merely encourages the practice. What's needed is to discourage the practice. I do that by voting with my feet and avoiding anything further to do with the software that bundles the eBay Trojan, or the ASK.com bar, or any other crapware - and I recommend that all software users do the same. Eventually the message should get through.

@sajman99:
...indicating you did something wrong
--- End quote ---
No, I did not interpret it that way at all. I realised that I had let my guard down long enough to get suckered by this pernicious con.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version