ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > What's the Best?

Video conversion: What's the best (freeware or shareware)?

<< < (7/11) > >>

sajman99:
This is free and works, although I use Pazera a lot.

http://www.oxelon.com/media_converter.html
-cmpm (November 01, 2009, 11:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

cmpm, thanks for mentioning this nice one I hadn't heard about. Oxelon Media Converter conveniently works via context menu, and it can use four threads to take advantage of quad-core multi-processor systems. :Thmbsup:

iphigenie:
video conversion/modification always makes me feel lost - sooo many choices of codecs etc!

I have several times wanted to share a video taken with my camera but wanted to remove the sound track - have given up, lots of time wasted trying to find one tool that could remove the sound and would not end up with a file 10 times bigger than the original...

For example with virtualdub i did countless attempts with different settings to a)not lose too much quality and b)remove the sound. Results were... mixed

gave up

JavaJones:
You can easily user Super or MediaCoder and just uncheck the audio track for encoding. Encode to MOV with h.264 codec, commonly available, efficient and high quality. Or an MPEG4 codec variant.

- Oshyan

Curt:
I almost never convert video files, which is why I haven't said anything on this thread until now, but I convert several audio files each day. For this, Media Coder is by far the fastest and the best - "best", referring to both sound quality and working stability.

Only the home version is freeware, the Premium version is $300 $299, but they can do the same!! The only differences are:

If you are a cooperative user who needs serious use of the software for your business, we encourge you to purchase MediaCoder Premium. Comparing to the free version, it has following differences and features:

* Un-interrupted large volume batch transcoding
    * No pop-up web pages
    * Higher priority response for bugfix
    * Custom splash screen
    * Technical assistance and support

--- End quote ---

One reason I am telling this is, that Media Coder also comes in a $300 $299 HD Video edition:

MediaCoder HDV (Hi-Definition Video) Edition

High-definition (HD) video refers to video system of higher resolution than standard-definition (SD) video, most commonly at display resolutions of 1280×720 (720p) or 1920×1080 (1080i or 1080p). High-definition image sources include terrestrial broadcast, direct broadcast satellite, digital cable, high definition disc (BD), internet downloads and the latest generation of video game consoles. MediaCoder HDV Edition is specially customized and configured for encoding hi-hefinition video contents to several industrial standard video formats like H.264, MPEG-2, MPEG-4.

Key Features:

* Transcoding hi-definition video contents in most popular formats to H.264, MPEG-4 or MPEG-2 in TS and MOV container (can support more if customer requests)
    * 5.1-channel AAC and AC-3 audio encoding, supporting mixing 5.1-channel audio by individual waveform/PCM files
    * Batch processing capability (customized process flow according to customer request)
    * Real multi-threading design, optimized for multi-core processors (over 90% CPU utilization on quad-core)
    * Easy-to-use user interface
    * More suitable for enterprise/massive production use (no popup web pages, no Firefox dependency for advanced settings access)

--- End quote ---

http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/
http://www.mediacoderhq.com/solutions/hdv.html

IainB:
WARNING!!! Virus/Trojan/Adware alert with FormatFactory!     :down: :down: :down:

I just installed FormatFactory v2.20 (install file name FFSetup220.zip).
As the proggy was installing, my MS Security Essentials caught and quarantined a Trojan Notifier:
                   TrojanClicker:Win32/Yabector.B

It was in file:C:\Temp\nsw95.tmp\eBay.exe
Interestingly, this indicates that MSSE had not detected the Trojan in the install file - even though it had inspected it on download - but only after the install file had been expanded into C:\Temp

Then ZoneAlarm reported that askchecker.exe was requesting access to the Internet. I blocked it.
ZoneAlarm then reported other ask-related proggies requesting access, and I blocked them too.

Process Explorer showed that Ask-related processes were running and had been loaded from C:\temp.

When I checked C:\Temp, I saw all sorts of Ask-related excrement - folders and files, including a file called ASKSUTBLOG (no file extension) size 451.7Kb. The latter was the install log of Ask Toolbar.msi.
The log file shows that ASK had installed and propogated itself all over the place - including C:\Program Files and my Firefox and Chrome browsers (as toolbars).

From the above, it is clear that the Trojan and the Ask Toolbar.msi must have been bundled in the FormatFactory install file.
The Trojan is bad enough, but the ASK.com deliberately forced and silent install really annoys me. The fact that the FormatFactory developers have deliberately buried these parasites in their program's install file - without warning or option for the user - annoys me even more. I now already dislike the FormatFactory product without even having tried it, and could not recommend it without major caveats.
                     :onfire:

I used RevoUninstaller to expunge ASK.com from my laptop. This is the 2nd or third time this year that I have had to remove ASK.com from my and other peoples' PCs. It takes time to do that, and it's a waste of my time. More annoyance.

Question: Does anyone know how it might be possible to block the Trojan and the ASK.com adware before it gets through the gates?    :feedback:
Update:

* The file FFSetup220.zip file size exceeded the limit for uploading to Virus Total (so it could not be checked).
* After clearing ASK.com out, I tried Format Factory out once only and can state that it seems to work OK, but it does not appear to have any better/different compression than IWiSoft video converter - which appears to be trouble free, unlike Format Factory.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version