topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:41 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: What's the best Journal (Diary) software?  (Read 114484 times)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What's the best Journal (Diary) software?
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2009, 12:47 PM »
It's definitely different- seems like he's going for a more standard commercial view.  But yeah- I like J4's appearance.

The worst thing is that...  Not much else changed! No real improvements in functionality, other than your journal volumes can now exceed 2 GB in size.

No improvements in placing images within text columns; same old clunky (IMO) organization structure... I could have just stayed with TJ4 and been none the worse off.

Jim

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2009, 03:29 PM »
I never had a journal come anywhere close to 2GB in size!  I can't even imagine that...

guoguo yong

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2014, 10:09 PM »
Wow~ nice!! Thanks you all. Efficient Diary meets my all needs. Thanks for your suggestion~

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2014, 11:30 PM »
If you're using Windows, there's actually a very good (rich text format, images, searchable, etc.) built-in journal - Windows Journal, and if you have MS Office (see MS Office 2013 US$9.95 Corporate/Enterprise Home Use Program - Mini-Review) there's arguably the best PIM and journal on the planet - OneNote.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2014, 05:38 PM »
Has anyone ever considered using a local install of Wordpress with WampServer/XAMPP for this purpose?

You could make the pages look however you like with whatever theme you want to add to it, if you don't like the included themes. And there are plenty of free themes available. And additional functionality can be added with plugins.

It's already searchable, out of the box, you can post images to it, and for a spellchecker, you'd use the one in your browser.

And since it is not being published online, and would not be running all the time, as long as you don't allow internet access to it from within WampServer/XAMPP, it would not have a lot of the vulnerability worries that a normal Wordpress blog might have.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2014, 06:07 PM »
Has anyone ever considered using a local install of Wordpress with WampServer/XAMPP for this purpose?

You could make the pages look however you like with whatever theme you want to add to it, if you don't like the included themes. And there are plenty of free themes available. And additional functionality can be added with plugins.

It's already searchable, out of the box, you can post images to it, and for a spellchecker, you'd use the one in your browser.

And since it is not being published online, and would not be running all the time, as long as you don't allow internet access to it from within WampServer/XAMPP, it would not have a lot of the vulnerability worries that a normal Wordpress blog might have.

Clever idea! :Thmbsup:

(For a straightforward diary app, RedNotebook is pretty nice. Cross-platform too! :Thmbsup: )

For diaries however, I'd think one of the wiki apps might also be a possibility.

If you're just running locally, I'd be more inclined to use Softalicious's freebie AMPPS stack which has the ability to auto install just about any web app you could think of. It's a great way to set up and try dozens of blog/wiki/portal/framework/whatevers. They had 322 app installers ready to go last time I looked. A little easier than WAMP/XAMP to work with too IMHO. Find it here. (It runs Wordpress too!)

:Thmbsup:

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2014, 07:02 PM »
For diaries however, I'd think one of the wiki apps might also be a possibility.

Here are a couple of ways to do it with the so-called "date topic" in ConnectedText:
http://takingnotenow...n-connectedtext.html
http://welcometosher...nderbox-for-windows/

n8wachT

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • LinkList
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2016, 10:20 AM »
More than just an Journal/diary keeper is the awesome (sometimes even weird) 'Makagiga.' It's the most allround
personal information organizer I have seen so far and you can extend it's functions with plugins on and on and on...
You can install it, but also use it as an portable program.

Homepage
http://makagiga.sourceforge.net/index.html

'It allows you to organize all your tasks, meetings, events and other related information in an easy way.
Besides that, the program can display a visual or audio notification when a meeting or task is due. Furthermore,
it can store various multimedia elements, like website links, images and plain text. What's more, the program's
added data can be exported to a wide range of file formats.'