ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Status of Directory Opus development, does anyone know?

(1/4) > >>

tranglos:
I've been tempted to give DOpus another try for its "file collections" feature, without which I'm finding it more and more impossible to live. But the current version is still 9.1, which means I cannot install the trial anymore, since my trial license (and the 60-day extension) expired sometime in November 2007, almost 2 years ago.

It's pretty expensive even with the 25% DU discount, and if I understand their upgrade policy, version 10, when it comes, will be a paid upgrade. When was DOpus recently updated? Has anyone heard if a new version is in the works?

superboyac:
If you commit to DOpus, you just have to mentally understand that you will give in to their licensing policy.  It is expensive and every upgrade will be expensive as well.  But it's also the best.  So if you want it, there's no alternative.

I like the program a lot.  I use it every day.  If I'm in front of a computer, I'm probably using DOpus once every few minutes, and if for some reason, I can't, it's very frustrating.  You can get the program to do whatever you want.

Ever since you inquired about the file collections in the other thread, I've been testing it out a little more, and it is quite good.

I haven't heard of a v10 upgrade.  If their schedule is similar to what they've done in the past, i wouldn't expect a new version anytime soon.  Probably a year or two minimum.  Version 9 is still relatively new, I think less than a year old.

mrainey:
I'm likewise addicted.  By my count, there have been seventeen updates to Version 9 since January 2008, and some of them have been substantial.

mwb1100:
Dopus v9 was released in April 2007.  According to Wikipedia, it looks like they do a major upgrade every 3 years (+/- 6 months).  Note that it's a pretty small sample size (and I think the v7 version number was skipped for some reason).  So if they keep with that history you can expect a v10 in about half a year.

I forget what kind of discount they give for existing users or how long the grace period is for recent purchases (or if there even is any).  Also, I can't recall if the DC discount could be applied to the upgrade price. Someone here with a better memory (or notes) than I have probably has that info and will hopefully post.

I wonder if you send a support request to GP Soft if they'll provide a way to reenable the trial. Some places are flexible with that, but some aren't.  Unfortunately, I'd guess that GPSoft is in the latter camp - but if you ask, the worst that happens is they say, "no", and you're no better but no worse.

All that said, the rate of minor updates to v9 has slowed, but that's to be expected as they've had a while to mature the product.  I would also imagine that as the need for updates to v9 goes down, the amount of work they do on an upcoming v10 ramps up.

superboyac:
Dopus v9 was released in April 2007.
-mwb1100 (September 02, 2009, 05:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
Really??  I'm way off.  Man...time flies.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version