topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:38 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: DONE: Right Click any file and create New Folder by its Name  (Read 300408 times)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: DONE: Right Click any file and create New Folder by its Name
« Reply #225 on: May 10, 2016, 04:49 PM »
Hi, XoRRoX, and welcome to the DonationCoder site.   :D

Very nice job Skwire - I use it a lot  :up: :)

I'm glad to know you find it useful.   :Thmbsup:

I would really like to configure a hotkey for it to trigger, something like Ctrl + G(roup) - would you want to do that? (I saw you developed it in AHK so that should be easy for you, right? :) )

Yes, this app is written in AHK, but it's designed to not stay resident in memory so I can't do a global hotkey.  Basically, it's invoked, does its business, and exits.

XoRRoX

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #226 on: May 18, 2016, 01:59 PM »
Yes, this app is written in AHK, but it's designed to not stay resident in memory so I can't do a global hotkey.  Basically, it's invoked, does its business, and exits.

Hmm, understand. Would you then be willing to make a command line switch so I can add a hotkey myself in my always resident script to invoke it? TIA ;)

Edit1:
After a second thought, it already has, as this is what is invoked by choosing the option in the context menu.. I'll skim through the registry to find it.

Edit2:
Not quite, as it seems.. Could you help me and shed some light on it, please? :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 02:38 PM by XoRRoX »

XoRRoX

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #227 on: June 02, 2016, 11:23 PM »

Hmm, understand. Would you then be willing to make a command line switch so I can add a hotkey myself in my always resident script to invoke it? TIA ;)

Edit1:
After a second thought, it already has, as this is what is invoked by choosing the option in the context menu.. I'll skim through the registry to find it.

Edit2:
Not quite, as it seems.. Could you help me and shed some light on it, please? :)

Still here @skwire ? :)

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #228 on: June 11, 2016, 09:36 AM »
Something like this?
(easy within Directory Opus)
=
SnagIt-11062016 164136.pngDONE: Right Click any file and create New Folder by its Name
=
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 01:35 PM by Deozaan »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #229 on: June 11, 2016, 10:02 AM »

F2F doesn't work on command line switches.  That is, it uses what is known as a Shell DropTarget.

Apologies for the late reply.

XoRRoX

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #230 on: June 30, 2016, 01:56 AM »

F2F doesn't work on command line switches.  That is, it uses what is known as a Shell DropTarget.

Apologies for the late reply.

Okay, thanks for the reply :)

So, there is not any way to assign a shortcut key?

dominicanghost

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
DONE: Right Click any file and create New Folder by its Name
« Reply #231 on: September 27, 2016, 01:33 PM »
I keep getting an stating "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the default programs control panel." How can I get F2F to work without making it the default program for all the extensions?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #232 on: September 27, 2016, 01:39 PM »
How can I get F2F to work without making it the default program for all the extensions?

Try this, please:

• Download this: http://skwire.dcmemb...folder/Unreg_F2F.zip
  • Extract that zip file into some folder.  Right-click the Unregister_F2F_Shell_Extension.exe file and choose Run As Administrator.  That should unregister the shell extension.
  • Put your Files2Folder.exe file where you want and run it with Administrator rights as well.  DO NOT run it directly from the zip file and you MUST run it with Administrator rights. It  should ask you if you want to register the shell extension again so accept this.
  • Now try right-clicking a file and see if it works.

dominicanghost

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #233 on: September 27, 2016, 09:25 PM »
I have tried what you stated and I keep getting the same error message. I have the file in my documents folder, which has worked on other computers. Any other suggestions?

dominicanghost

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #234 on: September 27, 2016, 09:27 PM »
How can I get F2F to work without making it the default program for all the extensions?

Try this, please:

• Download this: http://skwire.dcmemb...folder/Unreg_F2F.zip
  • Extract that zip file into some folder.  Right-click the Unregister_F2F_Shell_Extension.exe file and choose Run As Administrator.  That should unregister the shell extension.
  • Put your Files2Folder.exe file where you want and run it with Administrator rights as well.  DO NOT run it directly from the zip file and you MUST run it with Administrator rights. It  should ask you if you want to register the shell extension again so accept this.
  • Now try right-clicking a file and see if it works.
I have tried what you stated and I keep getting the same error message. I have the file in my documents folder, which has worked on other computers. Any other suggestions?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #235 on: September 27, 2016, 09:46 PM »
The only other thing I've been told can work is to disable any anti-virus you have running, do the above sequence of steps, and re-enable your anti-virus.  Which OS are you using?  Files 2 Folder has been developed and tested to work on Windows 7.  I've received reports from users of Windows 8 and Windows 10 that they were able to get it to work, though.  That said, I cannot support those operating systems as I do not own them.

dominicanghost

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #236 on: September 28, 2016, 02:32 AM »
The only other thing I've been told can work is to disable any anti-virus you have running, do the above sequence of steps, and re-enable your anti-virus.  Which OS are you using?  Files 2 Folder has been developed and tested to work on Windows 7.  I've received reports from users of Windows 8 and Windows 10 that they were able to get it to work, though.  That said, I cannot support those operating systems as I do not own them.

I've tried that as well and yes I have Windows 10 on the machine I am trying to install it on. I will keep playing with it and if I am able to get it to work I will let you know.

Thank for the app  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #237 on: September 29, 2016, 05:02 AM »
I unpacked my version with admin's rights to C:\Files2Folder on my Win 10 Pro - and it works fine.

dominicanghost

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #238 on: October 01, 2016, 04:04 PM »

I've tried that as well and yes I have Windows 10 on the machine I am trying to install it on. I will keep playing with it and if I am able to get it to work I will let you know.

Thank for the app  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

I was able to install it on my other Windows 10 computer without any issues, It must be an issue with that computer. I will reinstall Windows 10.

Thanks again :) :) :) :) :up: :up: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #239 on: October 01, 2016, 07:29 PM »
@dominicanghost: You're very welcome.  I'm glad you find the application useful.   :Thmbsup:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #240 on: October 02, 2016, 11:50 AM »
Files 2 Folder is quite advanced, compared to the solution used in FileMenu Tools. However, most times that I use this particular feature, I will have to type the new folder name myself. For this reason I eventually stopped using Files 2 Folder, and settled with the simpler Pack to Folder in LopeSoft's FileMenu Tools - which I always have installed anyway.

Donationware: http://www.lopesoft.com/index.php/en/products/filemenutools

Rook-Alpha

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #241 on: October 23, 2016, 02:17 PM »
So if I happened to have run the .exe from the archive at some point in time, am boned?
I've tried your own unregister scripts, but they can't seem to get rid of it. Am I out of options?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #242 on: October 23, 2016, 04:00 PM »
Hi, Rook-Alpha, and welcome to the DonationCoder site.  Please try the procedure listed here: https://www.donation....msg402714#msg402714

Rook-Alpha

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #243 on: October 25, 2016, 06:50 AM »
Hi, Rook-Alpha, and welcome to the DonationCoder site.  Please try the procedure listed here: https://www.donation....msg402714#msg402714

Hi Skwire. Thanks for the welcome, and the great little script.

That fix worked! I don't know how I missed it in the scrollback. (Sorry for wasting your time!)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #244 on: October 25, 2016, 09:29 AM »

That fix worked! I don't know how I missed it in the scrollback. (Sorry for wasting your time!)

No time wasted so no worries.  I'm glad the program is working for you.  Which OS are you using, if you don't mind me asking?

Rook-Alpha

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #245 on: October 25, 2016, 03:13 PM »

No time wasted so no worries.  I'm glad the program is working for you.  Which OS are you using, if you don't mind me asking?

Currently using Win10 Pro (b14393.321).

bryan8

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #246 on: December 07, 2016, 07:07 AM »
Hi,

Joined this forum just to comment.  Since moving to Win10 I (and others from this topic) have had problems getting F2F to work correctly.

Error message:   "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the default programs control panel."

My windows installation was a Win7 upgrade, and I have also noticed that I have some other non-working context menus - such as "Register COM Server"

Other people have reported this problem but not really explained how the problem was resolved.

I tried the unregister shell program that you posted.   If fact I believe that this is the same program, which is generated when the main program is "installed".   In regedit I can see the context menu items added and removing correctly from the registry, with the correct CLSID.  However, this does not solve the problem.    The context menu shows the program item but does not "link" it to program.

TL;DR

I right-clicked on the Files2Folder.exe application itself and run the "Troubleshoot Compatibility"  option.  It suggested "Vista", requested that I try it out.  It worked!   Then save settings for compatibility.

Hope this is helpful for others.

BTW, Very useful and handy application, thank you for creating it.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #247 on: December 07, 2016, 07:42 AM »
Hi, bryan8, and welcome to the DonationCoder site.  :)

I right-clicked on the Files2Folder.exe application itself and run the "Troubleshoot Compatibility"  option.  It suggested "Vista", requested that I try it out.  It worked!

Thank you for the report and I'll definitely add this to my list of things to try when folks email me about F2F working on Windows 10.   :Thmbsup:

BTW, Very useful and handy application, thank you for creating it.

You're most welcome; I'm glad you find the application useful.   :D

floc

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #248 on: July 30, 2017, 02:22 PM »
Hi skwire and thank you for your utility :)
After YEARS of honored service on my home server (2008R2) I migrated to windows server 2016 and files2folder stopped working.
I can register the extension, it seems to work as it appears correctly. But every time I click "files2Folder" explorer.exe goes to loop and need to be restarted. No antivirus or whatsoever, same behaviour as user or as admin.

Any hint? No luck with compatibility modes.

It still works great on w10, even with creator update.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #249 on: July 30, 2017, 03:24 PM »
Any hint?

From the emails I've received, it doesn't work with Windows Server 2012 so it's probably not too surprising that it doesn't work with Windows Server 2016, either.