ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE: Right Click any file and create New Folder by its Name

<< < (44/57) > >>

skwire:
1) The vast majority of them are exactly like this yes although I have some that are similar i.e. DEFECT 893-08-070 with a space between the 'T' and 8 , although if I could only process the other ones I would be delighted-rasbury (December 01, 2015, 04:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

These could be handled easily as well.  However, if there are only a few, it's probably easier to do them by hand.

2) The final 'R' is not important at all although I would still like the full filename to remain the same after it has been moved to the folder
Clear as mud?? -rasbury (December 01, 2015, 04:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yep, no problem.  That's exactly what File Punter was designed to do.

Steps:

1. First of all, if you can spare the space, make copies of your PDFs and place them in a new folder.  This will be your source folder and protects your original PDF files.

2. Download, install, and run File Punter.  You will see a window like this:

3. Choose File > Save as... from the menu and give your profile a name like rasbury.txt or whatever.

4. Click the green plus button and you will see a window like this:

5. Now, there are many ways to solve your request; here is but one:

Pattern: (.*?)R.*?.pdf
Destination: C:\tmp\11 Destination\??1

6. Add the entry as pictured above but make sure you change the souce & destination paths to fit your system.  Leave the parts in red as they are, though.  Ensure the "Pattern is a regular expression" option is ticked.  You should now see something like this in your File Punter window:

7. Tick the checkbox next to the entry, ensure the Method drop-down is set to "Simulation only (test mode)", and click the Start button.

8. A text file should appear showing how the files are going to be moved into the new folders.  Something like this (without the colouring, of course):
C:\tmp\11\893-08-003R2.pdf --> C:\tmp\11 Destination\893-08-003\893-08-003R2.pdf
C:\tmp\11\893-08-004R2.pdf --> C:\tmp\11 Destination\893-08-004\893-08-004R2.pdf
[...]
I highlighted portions in red to show you how File Punter has matched parts of the original filename and then dynamically created the destination folders.

9. If you're satisfied with how the files are going to be processed, change the Method drop-down to "Copy files to destination" or "Move files to destination" and click the Start button.

10. If all goes well, the operation shouldn't take long at all.  Check your destination folder and ensure the PDFs have been copied/moved properly.

rasbury:
Seems to work a dream Skwire - Your Da Man  :-*
Many Thanks

skwire:
Seems to work a dream Skwire - Your Da Man  :-*
Many Thanks-rasbury (December 01, 2015, 01:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

You're very welcome.  I'm glad we were able to get this solved for you.   Happy Holidays.  :)

magician62:
Hi Jody, looks like I have found a small issue with Files2Folder

If there is a trailing space no folder is created.

"Example .jpg"

Hopefully you can confirm, I am currently using Win10

zarrafakt:
Hi Skwire,

Picking up on callumm's post above I have a problem getting Files2folder to work. I am using Vista SP2. I have tried unregistering and uninstalling but every time I use the right click menu on a file I get,

I have also restored Vista file associations but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version