topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: DONE: Right Click any file and create New Folder by its Name  (Read 298359 times)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: DONE: Right Click any file and create New Folder by its Name
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2009, 08:08 PM »
What a fantastic app, skwire!  thanks for coding this! :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: 8)

You're welcome.   :)

skwire, I followed your instructions and now I'm in business.  Awewsome app! :Thmbsup:

Ah, great to hear.  So, what was the issue?

jdd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2009, 08:16 PM »
I'm not exactly sure what I did wrong the first time but I saved the zip file to my desktop.  Then I opened the zip file and ran the executable without extracting it to a folder. 

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2009, 08:19 PM »
This is a great idea for a program.  Thanks paarkhi and skwire!  I tried this last night, but nothing showed up in my context menu.  I figured when I rebooted in the morning it'd show up.  I did find the 'Files 2 Folder' entry, but ONLY in the Quick Launch items context menus!  The files on my Desktop didn't have the entry, and trying the context menu with an open Explorer didn't help.

Hmmm...odd.  Are you selecting folders in there as well?  If so, the Files 2 Folder entry won't show up.  It should only show if you have one or more files selected.

At this point I'd like to ask what might prove to make me look stupid, but where are the hidden settings?  I've used a lot of stuff I haven't been shy messing with as far as settings, like Rainlender, Sumarize, etc.  I tried opening Files2Folder.exe in ResHacker, but didn't see them there.  I didn't see a folder in 'Application Data.'  I thought maybe I had to point to the desktop or something, although that really doesn't make any sense.

There are a few hidden settings that you can set up by creating a config.ini file in the same folder as the Files 2 Folder executable.  Here's a sample:

[Settings]
Replace_Chars=1
Chars_To_Replace=-_
Remove_Chars=1
Chars_To_Remove=!@#$%^&(){}[]

Does that help?

I should add my context menus are a bit jazzed up.  I use MMM+, and Folder Guide.  Would that interfere with the registration process?  Also, I hadn't quite read down here far enough to figure out I should've answered Yes when the initial prompt to register appeared.  I said No on the first run, and when I realized my mistake went back and said Yes on the second run.  Like I said, the entry did appear after in one context menu, just not everywhere.
Anyone have any ideas?

I don't use MMM+ or Folder Guide so I don't know if those are messing with things.  I don't think they'd interfere with the registration process which is, basically, just writing a few registry values.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2009, 08:21 PM »
I'm not exactly sure what I did wrong the first time but I saved the zip file to my desktop.  Then I opened the zip file and ran the executable without extracting it to a folder. 

Right, when the app registers the menu entry, it uses the current path.  So, if you move Files2Folder.exe, the entry will still be there in the menu but no functionality will take place.  You must unregister it and then re-register it from its new location (exactly as you did).  Good job.  :D

mateek

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • NewPray.com - A description of a broken window for world peace, law proposals, prophecy explanations, conspiracies, and more.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2009, 09:53 PM »
jdd thanks, but I never moved the extracted folder after I unzipped and ran the .exe.  There's something else happening with my system, because I was going to be cautious and un-register and unzip somewhere else, as you'd advised.   I did, and when I went to delete the original folder, I got an error 'in use' message.  Then I checked my Task Manager, and Folder2File.exe was running, so I forced it to End, and I still couldn't delete the folder.  Then I went to my Boot Deleter. and went to integrate that into my shell, and that wouldn't integrate anywhere but in my Start Menu's context.  I'm running XP SP3, and the reboot is a solid 12-14 mins or more, so I do it once day unless something goes haywire.  I think I've seen this behavior in this comp before, and it did clear up with a reboot, but I can't get to that for awhile.  I'll keep you posted.

skwire, I wasn't selecting any folders.  Just file(s).  Ahh, create a config.ini...I haven't done that before, yep that helps.  Similar to AHK...
Stop war, change U.S. Politics, Kabbalah, my case modding, etc: My Website.

sizzle

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2009, 02:25 PM »
I would like to remove the space from specific file names.
How do you set up the config.ini to create a folder name without the space that's in the file name.

Great App. Thank you !!

sizzle

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2009, 03:37 PM »
I wonder if anyone else is experiencing this.
I right click on a file that's in a folder name "ABC" and select Files2Folder. The program creates the folder with the proper file name but it creates it in a new directory that it created called documentsandsettings (no spaces between doc and set) rather than creating it in folder "ABC".

Note this is not the Document and Settings folder( note the space between doc and set)that is already resident on my C drive. The application creates this folder. Subsequently any other files selected regardless of what directory they are in, also have their folders created in this directory(documentsandsettings).

Any idea what's going on?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2009, 04:29 PM »
Can you provide me with the exact paths you're using, please?

1) Files 2 Folder install path.
2) Full path of the ABC folder you reference.
3) Full path and filename of the file you're working with.

Thanks.

paarkhi

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2009, 06:38 AM »
It still works for me and Thanks  :Thmbsup: SKWIRE!!! Once Again, I don't know why it doesn't work for others.. :(

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2009, 07:12 AM »
Well, that's how programming goes.  What works on one system may not work on others.  It works for me...it works for you...but isn't working quite right for sizzle.  Oh, one other thing, sizzle, please tell me the operating system you're using.  Thanks.

sizzle

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2009, 01:39 PM »
Can you provide me with the exact paths you're using, please?

1) Files 2 Folder install path.
2) Full path of the ABC folder you reference.
3) Full path and filename of the file you're working with.

Thanks.
1)=C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Files2Folder
2)=C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Holding
3)=C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Holding--filename is Action Plan444.xlsx

Note: This behavior was remedied by a re-install of the program. However I want you to know that the program was creating a new directory named "documentsandsettings" again this is not the same directory that already exists on the  drive named:
 "Document and Settings"

The operating sys is XP PRO service pack3 installed.

BTW can you answer my other question.

I would like to remove the space from specific file names.
How do you set up the config.ini to create a folder name without the space that's in the file name.

Example: file name is "Store Info.docx" (no quotes)
Folder created is "Store Info"
Would like the folder name to be StoreInfo (no space)

Here are the settings on the config.ini file:

[Settings]
Remove_Chars=1
Chars_To_Remove=!@#$%^&()-_

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2009, 02:06 PM »
Note: This behavior was remedied by a re-install of the program. However I want you to know that the program was creating a new directory named "documentsandsettings" again this is not the same directory that already exists on the  drive named:
 "Document and Settings"
[...]

Thank you.  I believe I was able to figure out and fix the "documentsandsettings" issue.  Would you mind testing this interim build, please?: Download v1.0.4.2  There should be no need to unregister/register the extension.  Simply replace your current executable with this one.

To remove spaces in the filename, set up your config.ini like this:

Remove_Chars=1
Chars_To_Remove=! @#$%^&(){}[]

Basically, just put the space char somewhere in the middle of that string.  In my example, it's the second character...between the ! and the @.  Please let me know if that interim build solves your issues and I'll promote it to a release.

sizzle

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2009, 02:58 PM »
Thanks I installed V1.0.4.2 and it appears to be working with no glitches.

However the folder name still contains a space. If you notice my previous post, I already had the ini configured as you suggested with the # sign.

Here are the current settings on the config.ini file in use:
[Settings]
Remove_Chars=1

If you test this example I expect you will get a created folder with a space in the folder name.

Example: file name is "Store Info.docx" (no quotes)
Folder created is "Store Info"
Would like the folder name to be StoreInfo (no space)

[Settings]
Remove_Chars=1

Thank you for your time and quick responses. It's nice to deal with someone who has passion for their work.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2009, 03:16 PM »
However the folder name still contains a space. If you notice my previous post, I already had the ini configured as you suggested with the # sign.
Here are the current settings on the config.ini file in use:
[Settings]
Remove_Chars=1

Hmmm...I'm not sure what you mean about the # sign since we're talking about a space.  At any rate, your string does not contain a space in it as far as I can see.

Chars_To_Remove=!@#$%^&()-_      <--- Your string.
Chars_To_Remove=! @#$%^&()-_     <--- What it needs to be.
                 ^
                 |_ Notice the space?

Does that make things clearer?

sizzle

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2009, 03:30 PM »
 :( arghh..........brain fart.

My fault I had the # sign cemented in my brain as the character for a space. I see your correction now.

Everything is good to go !!

Thank you very much.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2009, 04:26 PM »
My fault I had the # sign cemented in my brain as the character for a space. I see your correction now.
Everything is good to go !!
Thank you very much.

You are welcome.  Thanks for reporting this bug.

Website | Download

v1.0.5 - 2009-10-03
    ! Fixed a replace characters scope issue where the entire path was
      being considered instead of just the new folder.  (Thanks, sizzle)

mateek

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • NewPray.com - A description of a broken window for world peace, law proposals, prophecy explanations, conspiracies, and more.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2010, 01:30 AM »
I'd put Files2Folder down for awhile.  It seems like some users will find it indispensable, but for me I'll probably only use it once and a while.  I downloaded the newest version last night.  I got a total blank in all my context menus, including after reboot.  I unregistered np. Nothing in the task manager this time, although I didn't look until I unregistered.  Any hope for me to get this going, or is my working computer just too old and bloated?  Any way for me to generate a hook log or something helpful to post in case an update is justified?

BTW, skwire, love your Switcheroo and Zero Zipper.  Filebucket is on my desktop to try one of these years.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2010, 11:20 AM »
I downloaded the newest version last night.  I got a total blank in all my context menus, including after reboot.  I unregistered np. Nothing in the task manager this time, although I didn't look until I unregistered.  Any hope for me to get this going, or is my working computer just too old and bloated?

When you say total blank, you don't mean that your context menu is totally blank, do you?  I assume you mean that just the Files2Folder entry doesn't show up, right?  Also, you shouldn't see anything in the task manager after you register the extension.  Files2Folder doesn't stay running; it only launches when called from the menu.

mateek

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2010, 02:14 AM »
When you say total blank, you don't mean that your context menu is totally blank, do you?  I assume you mean that just the Files2Folder entry doesn't show up, right?

Right.  The rest of my context menu is fine.

Also, you shouldn't see anything in the task manager after you register the extension.  Files2Folder doesn't stay running; it only launches when called from the menu.

When I wrote in this thread a few months ago (September 28, '09) with an older version of Files2Folder, there was a files2folder.exe running in the processes, when I was having trouble unregistering, but I did clear it the next day.  The current version has no .exe showing.

Sorry, I hope I didn't startle you.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2010, 03:31 AM »
You mentioned in your other post that you run a couple of apps that modify the context menu.  Perhaps they're interfering with Files2Folders context menu entry in some way?  If you want to see if the entry has even made it into your registry, search for this string:

{a951a7c0-97b1-11de-b5f4-0002a5d5c51b}

1) Fire up Windows Registry Editor.
2) Highlight the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT folder near the top.
3) Choose Edit, Find from the menu.
4) Paste the above string in the "Find what" field and click the "Find next" button.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 04:13 AM by skwire »

mateek

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2010, 09:27 PM »
The value gets into the registry fine, about five times I think.  I did a search before running the .exe, and there were none, so the unregister is working perfect, I'd assume.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2010, 09:56 PM »
The value gets into the registry fine, about five times I think.  I did a search before running the .exe, and there were none, so the unregister is working perfect, I'd assume.

I really don't have any idea why it's not working.  Do you have any other machines you can test it on?

mateek

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2010, 10:15 PM »
I do, but it might be a few days.  I have a bunch stuff to get to tomorrow.

mateek

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2010, 12:07 AM »
Sorry, I did get to try Files2Folders on that other computer tonight, and it works perfect.  I'm slightly confused why it works on one IBM T23 and not another T23.  They both run XP SP3.  Of course the one it doesn't work on is bloated beyond belief, and the other has far fewer softwares installed. 

Anyway, now that I've seen it work I'm more impressed.  It was quick, and would be very handy. 

I also have 7 64bit on a build I use for media.  I'll try it on that too, and let you know if there are any problems.

Any other steps I could try to get it working on my workhorse?

Thanks again.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2010, 09:36 AM »
Website | Download
v1.0.6 - 2010-04-07
    + Added a second mode when multiple files are selected.  This new mode will move each file to individual subfolders based on their names e.g.:
      (Thanks, adrienne)

filename.bat -> .\filename\filename.bat
          filename.txt -> .\filename\filename.txt