ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Opera 10

<< < (5/6) > >>

Paul Keith:
There's a profile that reverts keyboard shortcuts to the setup used in Opera 9.2. Dunno if that helps. There's also another option to reactivate single key shortcuts ('1' and '2' FTW).
--- End quote ---

No, it doesn't help at all especially because the veterans would have already created their own shortcuts file.

What it doesn't is simply hide Opera's innovation to the new user even further and turns it into Firefox without extensions.

As jgpaiva says above, it basically doesn't work. Or more precisely, at least in my case, it works when it feels like it. There are several things wrong with the implementation, which I explained a while ago. As I pointed in my original post in this thread, except for HDD trashing (so far, it's a long way to fill the entire history database as I have it configured), every other problem with the address bar remains (the rest of the problems mentioned in the last part are fixed).

--- End quote ---

Oh, I probably miss that because I don't actually need it. I don't really bother with the results it chucks out. Same for Firefox's Smart Bar.

When I suggested an AutoCopy type feature it was treated like some sort of blasphemy.  I mean, get real!!!
--- End quote ---

Maybe you just attracted the wrong crowd. True, many there find this feature annoying. Even I, who originally switched to firefox because of this ended up preferring the shortcut ctrl + b for paste and go than having autocopy which 9 times out of 10, I end up mistakenly copying a highlight and I only often need with urls anyway.

Granted one of the things that felt weird about Linux and XWindows was auto copy when highlighting with the mouse, and single clicking instead of double in some environments.  But as long as you can enable/disable it, what's the big deal?
--- End quote ---

Mostly market demand.

By implementing it, does it attract their core users? Not so much. Does it attract new users? Again, not so much because many would get your same frustration when it's turned on and it would basically be hidden under the other hidden gems of Opera.

Honestly, they are even worse than apple in their arrogance and lack of attention to user requests.
--- End quote ---

I doubt it. Apple's market is selling fluff for lots.

Opera actually has been pioneering the browser up until recently. They are just following a typical browser attitude. Compare this to Mozilla who already have extensions they just need turned into a native feature and it doesn't compare.

Most browser developers seem to have this stigma. Flock will not touch anything that's not popular. (even though they claim they are a Web 2.0 based browser) K-meleon despite being open sourced hasn't reached Firefox level. Seamonkey equally has no massive adaptation of extensions. Maxthon too has very little improvement. IE? Konqueror? Google Chrome? Iron? Text based browsers?

iphigenie:
Opera is my standard browser, and I don't really miss extensions.

MilesAhead:

-iphigenie (September 08, 2009, 10:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Do you happen to know if it still keeps Form Fill personal info in clear text? I'm just curious if they at least encrypt it now or if they just shuffled it into another file.

edit: I just updated to 10 and they just shuffle the [Personal Info] section of opera6.ini to operaprefs.ini.  The info is there in clear text.  Looks like I have to update my obfuscator to ask if the Opera is v. 10 or later. :)

iphigenie:

-iphigenie (September 08, 2009, 10:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Do you happen to know if it still keeps Form Fill personal info in clear text? I'm just curious if they at least encrypt it now or if they just shuffled it into another file.

-MilesAhead (September 08, 2009, 02:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Absolutely no idea, don't use the feature - although there's nothing particularly sensitive about my name, address, phone number etc. since they are in clear on my business cards, stationery etc. What fields you can save for the form is not a lot, so I never bothered.

As for the passwords they must be at least vaguely encrypted, a file content search produced nothing - although I dont have my really key passwords in there (not due to issus of encryption, more the fear of someone stealing the pc and the browser nicely volunteering the passwords. Convenience vs Security)

MilesAhead:
I just don't like the idea of my address phone etc. being in clear text in a known location.  Makes it too easy for fishing.  If browser = Opera then goto operprefs.ini. That's making it way too easy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version